What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

I used to glue mine then I started using an easier and more logical solution. Simply sew the top loop to fit your belt. At the bottom (thigh side) sew in some velcro (non-adhesive, hook side, 3-4" worth 2" wide). Apply the loop side velcro with adhesive to the inside of the shins 4-6" worth, Install and adjust as needed. 

That’s exactly what I did. Then when I was dead certain of where I wanted them positioned at the front, I marked it off on the belt and riveted the elastic to it so it’s not going anywhere and keeps the thighs front and centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Short4ATrooper said:

That’s exactly what I did. Then when I was dead certain of where I wanted them positioned at the front, I marked it off on the belt and riveted the elastic to it so it’s not going anywhere and keeps the thighs front and centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a few years of trooping and hanging on a mannequin my elastic stretched, velcro was a great alternative. 

So here's my next problem with the belt. It utilizes some button snaps that honestly just seem inadequate. I press them on, they then pop back out. So first I considered replacing these with Line 24 snaps. Something a little more beefy. However, examining these button snaps a little closer, I'm wondering if I bent those internal pins inwards a little more, would they tend to snap on and hold better? I've not encountered something like this before. Anyone found a solution for this or am I on the right track of replacing them with line 24's?  

ttKyFUl.jpg

vHLUxNW.jpg

xfvEPYj.jpg

bqhB88M.jpg

• Like 1

Well I'm not an expert, but at the least using velcro is an interim solution.  Heck that is what we had for years before someone thought to use snaps instead.

• Like 1

Normally snaps are used which are a lot stronger than those pop's.

VbjoOB8.jpg

I use another snap in the center which helps to stop the belt moving up or down (in red below)

R63O0di.jpg

• Like 1

I ordered some of these tonight.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-20-Snaps-Nickel-Plated-10-pk-By-Tandy-Leather-1261-02/301524925466?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The final Thigh is curing overnight.  On to the thigh straps beginning tomorrow.  I'm going to write Ritchie to see how just that one single strap has worked out for him but his response will probably come way after I've finished.   I think I like CableGuys' idea of using velcro in the center.  I've resisted putting snaps on the arms and legs and just went ruff and ready as Rob had.  I may change that up later on.

Edited by Zinfer

So today the final internal cover strip for the thigh is done cooking. Installed the loop in the right thigh as I don't have enough magnets to do both. I also am attempting to correct the misaligned outer cover strip for the right shin. Although it doesn't leave me but a sliver of room for a velcro strip at the bottom. Ordered some Line 20 snaps last night. I'm not sure what is wrong with the button snaps but they're just plain not holding the belt on. I don't know enough about how these snaps work, but it's just not a firm snap so looking at replacing both with something a little more robust. Could be a pain to drill out if I catch that cloth of the belt with a drill it could ruin it.

IkioWTW.jpg

ZOi611W.jpg

EklyfhG.jpg

pGcj2JV.jpg

Ta9Mm4r.jpg

5b2z41A.jpg

• Like 1

With your belt have you added some curve, as any sideways pressure on pops or snaps will make it come loose.

KdXjqBH.jpg

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

With your belt have you added some curve, as any sideways pressure on pops or snaps will make it come loose.

KdXjqBH.jpg

No I didn't go out of my way to add any curvature.  I've not even seen a suggestion for that in any tutorials.  It's always lain flat.  Are you suggesting doing that?

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

No I didn't go out of my way to add any curvature.  I've not even seen a suggestion for that in any tutorials.  It's always lain flat.  Are you suggesting doing that?

I've done that to all of my belts after realizing a flat belt pops of with the slightest of movement

ymlTOfL.jpg

8lfZsm5.jpg

gallery_12157_15_25917.jpg

• Like 1

I'll look into that.  I've also got the 20's on their way for arrival next Friday.  Half tempted to replace the belt though since that earlier episode.  If only I could, but with RS down...bleh.  I could only order like a set of 10 I think for like $7.00 or so.  You seem to have hundreds.  Nice score!  These are the Tandy ones I've got coming.  I got confused on ebay when they started asking what size post...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-20-Snaps-Nickel-Plated-10-pk-By-Tandy-Leather-1261-02/301524925466?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

I would definitely change the type of snap you are using on the belt.

I too found them insufficient if there was more than a slight amount of pressure applied across them.

I changed mine to the same type you see in Glens post above and they have never been a problem in the last 6 years.

• Like 1

Finished the elastic straps for the Thighs. Applied all Velcro to both shins last night. Ready for a fitting sometime today. Next up is reworking the belt snaps for the torso ammo belt. Snaps coming in by Thursday/Friday this coming week.

0ERRSZA.jpg

klDtnaN.jpg

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Finished the elastic straps for the Thighs. Applied all Velcro to both shins last night. Ready for a fitting sometime today. Next up is reworking the belt snaps for the torso ammo belt. Snaps coming in by Thursday/Friday this coming week.
0ERRSZA.jpg

klDtnaN.jpg

Great stuff, Rodney. Must feel great to get those too significant parts ready.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CableGuy said:

Great stuff, Rodney. Must feel great to get those too significant parts ready. emoji1303.pngemoji1303.pngemoji1303.png

Yea, I think I'm down to going back and tidying things up now, get the wrinkles worked out.  Belt and Chest plate.

• Like 1

Yes squeaks and clanking is pretty common. The largest knows was you sniper plate hitting the thigh, you could try some foam behind the sniper plate which should help hold it away from your thigh. Once you try your mid section armor you can work out how much gap you have at the top of the thighs

I added a little foam inside my thighs as they were a little loose.

• Like 1

So, this is the real reveal.  I've got a lot bigger fish to fry than accuracy.  I've got about real time 30 pounds weight loss with cardio bike riding before I'm anywhere near submitting.  Just being real with all of you.  Lot of work ahead.  Belt buttons first, then chest plate loosening/replacement of the loops again.  Just to allow my helmet to move freely and not be choked.  I got a literal TON of work to do with myself and my own body.  I'm sure alot of us coming out of this Covid are going to need alot of Cardio this summer.  Just speaking for myself though.

axsJl3f.jpg

0Is4mof.jpg

fpxYfOU.jpg

AdWXFcm.jpg

NKXcC4h.jpg

es6Qoqw.jpg

nGQ2XTL.jpg

yUFFON9.jpg

I kinda look like the TRON guy....ugh

Just sold my Sandtrooper to a fellow trooper yesterday and he's been off work since Covid began here, I asked would you like to try it on and he said he'll need to loose some Covid weight first as he won't fit into his own TK armor anymore, seems it's hit a lot of troopers so you are not alone. Good luck losing those pounds, easy to put on, not as easy to get off again ;) 

• Like 1

I feel I need to redo my straps on the chest.  Too tight.  I mean it's kind of a double wammy with being overweight, but I made my chest straps so small it's pulling the chest up.  It'd be nice if there were a place that actually makes the loops that are the correct size because I don't trust myself in getting them the correct size.  Maybe I'm jumping the gun in that, it's my weight that's doing this?  Maybe it doesn't need 'fixed'.  But I'm looking at that chest and codpiece and it sure does look like it needs to come down and overlap significantly.

Edited by Zinfer

On 2/19/2021 at 7:16 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I've done that to all of my belts after realizing a flat belt pops of with the slightest of movement

ymlTOfL.jpg

8lfZsm5.jpg

gallery_12157_15_25917.jpg

Ok so snaps arrived today.  Line 20's.  Do you prefer 20's over 24's?  So the idea behind your build is installing 5 snaps on the canvas belt.  Then an additional 3 on the plastic ammo to snap the plastic ammo to the belt, then install 2 additional on the torso to install the canvas belt itself to the torso?  That's alot of snaps.  Isn't that kind of increasing the likelihood of a popped snap?  Or is it evening out the bend at the two torso snaps?  Lot of physics going on there.

On my build I'm going straight through the plastic ammo and canvas without snaps to the belt, basically riveting the plastic to the belt.  Then securing the canvas belt to the torso with the original button snaps.

Edited by Zinfer

I prefer 24's but either is ok.

Yes a lot of snaps but many use the same system. 

You can drop the amount of snaps if you want to keep your plastic section and canvas permanently held together but I like to be able to remove the canvas belt in case it needs a wash.

25 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I prefer 24's but either is ok.

Yes a lot of snaps but many use the same system. 

You can drop the amount of snaps if you want to keep your plastic section and canvas permanently held together but I like to be able to remove the canvas belt in case it needs a wash.

Well I can wait a day or two on the 24's.  I ordered those too.  Also, I never considered washing the canvas belt.  Not sure how badly it'd fray considering the edges are a complete mess of stringiness.  I would think 24's would have a firmer grip but really not sure.  As I alluded to earlier, I'm thinking best approach is to drill the previous snaps out.

Edited by Zinfer