What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

Trying to wrap up the Shins. Here's the progress on the right. Cut and inserted a second cover strip inside front to reinforce and strengthen the joint. Also examining the appearance of the velcro under the rear coverstrip. Still debating velcro or elastic pins. Bit of a gap with the velcro.

WHYmhPn.jpg

cGltL1a.jpg

T4peoH3.jpg

The Left Shin wrap up. Final trimming of the sniper knee. Absolutely NO edge trim. Attempting to get this on correctly. It's a little off on appearance from the inside because of the mismatch of the RS front and rear seams of the shin, adjusted with heat. This is my first close up of the sniper knee, so I'm hoping I've got this on there well with the E6000 glue. It would always slide out of place using clamps and my magnets were busy on another piece. Down to tape. 
ornzU5Y.jpg

WXtbfyA.jpg

u0mrUb2.jpg

vJBFxBO.jpg

MobT5nF.jpg

m8GGGSz.jpg

uCXDdvP.jpg

uqkW7GN.jpg

dQPv6rW.jpg

kgA3eD7.jpg

HR3cyd3.jpg

When I added my coverstrips I glued them on an angle, this helps to give a straighter look at the base of the shins, otherwise they appear twisted.

T4peoH3.thumb.jpg.98d7cd637d48d7e59b1e64fbc7ff8dc9.jpg

Using velcro all the way will give a better look, yes there will be a small gap with velcro but with using a full piece you won't see the gaps. It's why we overlap outside over inside so the public don't see.

Dsc02499.jpg.98106e0955a9a9afaca367df954b48c8.jpg

Looks like you may have trimmed a little too much of the top sides of your sniper plate

uCXDdvP.thumb.jpg.be6239dad561e91df83ee49f5b6dc52a.jpg

You want to try and pull the sniper plate up so it covers the ridge behind (as much as possible), clamps, magnets and tape can help. A couple of RS comparisons

LZzruwXm.jpgIMG_0062_zpsc2a0d3c9.thumb.jpg.4f2a33f394a925ee6e54b7412874d44e.jpgfj9sfWX.jpg01ab2c8b1b5f2cad2a4926d72f306d4f.jpg

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

When I added my coverstrips I glued them on an angle, this helps to give a straighter look at the base of the shins, otherwise they appear twisted.

T4peoH3.thumb.jpg.98d7cd637d48d7e59b1e64fbc7ff8dc9.jpg

Using velcro all the way will give a better look, yes there will be a small gap with velcro but with using a full piece you won't see the gaps. It's why we overlap outside over inside so the public don't see.

Dsc02499.jpg.98106e0955a9a9afaca367df954b48c8.jpg

Looks like you may have trimmed a little too much of the top sides of your sniper plate

uCXDdvP.thumb.jpg.be6239dad561e91df83ee49f5b6dc52a.jpg

You want to try and pull the sniper plate up so it covers the ridge behind (as much as possible), clamps, magnets and tape can help. A couple of RS comparisons

LZzruwXm.jpgIMG_0062_zpsc2a0d3c9.thumb.jpg.4f2a33f394a925ee6e54b7412874d44e.jpgfj9sfWX.jpg01ab2c8b1b5f2cad2a4926d72f306d4f.jpg

Well I removed and used some heat on the inward slope of the two sides.  Reglued., following the curves as high as I could.  I don't know if I can improve on it any further.  I also don't know if E6000 is going to be able to hold the form short of using CA.  That top edge really rides the top of the shin mold. Very plausible I may have trimmed the sniper knee a bit close.  I can try to contact RS and order a new one.  as for the shin rear cover strip.  I can try to remove that and reset it but I have to be careful there's enough room for a velcro strip.  As I stated earlier when I used heat to align the top of the ridges together, it twirked the bottom to the left a bit more than I'd like.  I never trimmed that corner it was that close to center. I would have preferred a roll of the velcro, but Menards only had the small strips (like 4")  I'll see if I can find a roll now somewhere or order it online.

Let me run a fit first Gmrhodes before I tear off that outer CS.  Limited on Magnets.  In the middle of installing inner cover strips for strength and reinforcement of the thighs and shins.  Then I can glue in my belt loops to the thighs and do a thigh and shin overall fit photo shoot.

I prefer no sticky back as being hot here it can come loose over time, i glue with E6000 

12 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I prefer no sticky back as being hot here it can come loose over time, i glue with E6000 

Yea I was going to ask about that.  I've heard people recommending to use E6000.  Wondering if E6000 can be applied over the stickyback.

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

Yea I was going to ask about that.  I've heard people recommending to use E6000.  Wondering if E6000 can be applied over the stickyback.

I would think it may stick to the sticky back but that could still pull away over time. Perhaps remove the stick back with goo gone or a similar product then glue.

Best I can do on the sniper knee without replacing it and that currently is unable to be done due to the fire at RS Propmasters. So, I've adjusted it as high as what follows the contours of the knee.  I can't order another one since the fire at RS.

37NGBFF.jpg

UUWRuvQ.jpg

UAR5ViT.jpg

Looks better, again it depends if your GML picks it up at basic approval, you may be ok. I would think it would be mentioned at EI and a possible hold up for Centurion, but that depends on the DO's.

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looks better, again it depends if your GML picks it up at basic approval, you may be ok. I would think it would be mentioned at EI and a possible hold up for Centurion, but that depends on the DO's.

I've been running this build thread through my local Garrison as well.  I'm not near ready to submit anything though.  I need to lose some weight before I plan on doing that.  After I get the garter on for the thighs I plan on another round of fitting shots.  I may need to do something with that shin yet if it looks tremendously wonky.  Your opinions are valued highly.

Edited by Zinfer

2 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I've been running this build thread through my local Garrison as well.  I'm not near ready to submit anything though.  I need to lose some weight before I plan on doing that.

You can contact your GML at any time, not just for approval, they can give you a yes/no to any pieces you are not sure about, could save you some time asking now, rather than waiting until you are ready for approval and then having to replaces something.

Best I can do on the sniper knee without replacing it and that currently is unable to be done due to the fire at RS Propmasters. So, I've adjusted it as high as what follows the contours of the knee.  I can't order another one since the fire at RS.
37NGBFF.jpg

UUWRuvQ.jpg

UAR5ViT.jpg

Personally, I can’t see that your GML would have a problem with your sniper knee plate. Given the inconsistency of the screen used ones, many of which did not align with the shin ridge, I’d find it very harsh if they did.

cd4327a92d489b3830d799d6cb7f265f.png

9633feb32b70c68103821d8e5c46389c.png

c3ad65c5b5e4129ba8ead9daebaeecc5.png

a8713ed45fc125d0150b65db887abec8.png

9cb2e2d8244cd47ad3c3456934d023db.png

b19cacd08927e74d0b354b74d208f073.png

I'll echo Daniel here, if your GML pulls that up for basic, that would be poor form. Ive seen worse get approved. I'm not saying your is bad for the record, it looks fine to me for basic approval.

4 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Personally, I can’t see that your GML would have a problem with your sniper knee plate. Given the inconsistency of the screen used ones, many of which did not align with the shin ridge, I’d find it very harsh if they did.

cd4327a92d489b3830d799d6cb7f265f.png

9633feb32b70c68103821d8e5c46389c.png

c3ad65c5b5e4129ba8ead9daebaeecc5.png

a8713ed45fc125d0150b65db887abec8.png

9cb2e2d8244cd47ad3c3456934d023db.png

b19cacd08927e74d0b354b74d208f073.png

Yea this is just becoming too damn hard man.  Doing my best, yet not good enough so...very disheartening.  Thanks for your help Cable and not pickin at me.  Prolly end the build here and just continue it with my Garrison and their input.  This gettin a little crazy.  I can't simply replace things after the RS fire.  Andrea was a little miffed I even inquired about the sniper knee.  This is gettin just a little crazy when the actual screen costumes NEVER went this far in accuracy.

Edited by Zinfer

30 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Yea this is just becoming too damn hard man.  Doing my best, yet not good enough so...very disheartening.  Thanks for your help Cable and not pickin at me.  Prolly end the build here and just continue it with my Garrison and their input.  This gettin a little crazy.  I can't simply replace things after the RS fire.  Andrea was a little miffed I even inquired about the sniper knee.  This is gettin just a little crazy when the actual screen costumes NEVER went this far in accuracy.

Don't get disheartened, when many of us give feedback it's for the highest levels as many want to achieve that. Wait and see what your GML says, many will accept it as it is but as I say some may not, no harm in checking.

As I've said before there are plenty of threads and gallery images to check before trimming and if you aren't sure then ask, plenty of people in the wings ready to lend a hand.

Stupid Shins.  I toldja this was gonna be hard!  Andrea is not taking any orders so I'm going to have to call the sniper knee good until a fitting can be done.  I'll go ahead and take the fitting photos and after that may need to peel the CS off that rear shin and try again.  There's not much room to play with back there.

I don't even recall making that cut on the sniper knee.  I think it came like that.  The only trimming I did was the bottom where it mates up to the 2 halves of the shin.  I'll dig through some old photos.

Edited by Zinfer

So ok; Question.  On the thigh Elastics, the way Rob does it is just folding the 16" of Elastic over and CA glueing thus creating a loop at the top.  The way RichieStromtrooper does it is sew a loop and then glue the rest internally/cut off the unneeded length.  I chose the sewn method.  Will there/Is there a problem with this method?  Which method did you do?  Will the lack of added tension of 2 elastics be of any concern?  What is the most widely used effective method?

I guess I'm asking the same question twice for clarity, but the way I plan on doing it is sewn and E6000.  Trimming about 8" off at the bottom.  Am I doing this wrong?

Edited by Zinfer

Stupid Shins.  I toldja this was gonna be hard!  Andrea is not taking any orders so I'm going to have to call the sniper knee good until a fitting can be done.  I'll go ahead and take the fitting photos and after that may need to peel the CS off that rear shin and try again.  There's not much room to play with back there.
I don't even recall making that cut on the sniper knee.  I think it came like that.  The only trimming I did was the bottom where it mates up to the 2 halves of the shin.  I'll dig through some old photos.

Honestly Rodney, there is nothing wrong with what you have. The ones on set were all slightly different, so there is not “one style” that you have aim for. As per the photos I posted above, those were all a little different.

Here’s my own sniper knee compared with originals. The sniper knee does not 100% line up with the shin ridge, however, neither do many of the originals.

0027413365d6642dca991d493f0b2863.jpg

Don’t sweat it just over this part. You’re doing a fantastic job - keep it up. :-).

Also, regarding the thigh elastics at the top, just go with the method you prefer. For my first suit, I actually folded over and use some snaps / poppers to allow adjustments if needed. For my latest suit, I glued the loops, like Rob does.

As long as you don’t have visible fixings, any of these methods would be okay. :-)
  • Like 1

Totally, don't worry about perfect.  Get 'em good enough for 501st approval and then tweak as you have time.  It is not uncommon to continually tweak your suit after approval.  Whatever you do, don't give up!  There are always ways to fix these.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Honestly Rodney, there is nothing wrong with what you have. The ones on set were all slightly different, so there is not “one style” that you have aim for. As per the photos I posted above, those were all a little different.

Here’s my own sniper knee compared with originals. The sniper knee does not 100% line up with the shin ridge, however, neither do many of the originals.

0027413365d6642dca991d493f0b2863.jpg

Don’t sweat it just over this part. You’re doing a fantastic job - keep it up. :-).

Also, regarding the thigh elastics at the top, just go with the method you prefer. For my first suit, I actually folded over and use some snaps / poppers to allow adjustments if needed. For my latest suit, I glued the loops, like Rob does.

As long as you don’t have visible fixings, any of these methods would be okay. :-)

Thanks bud.  So I've moved on to getting the inner reinforcement cover strips to the thighs.  I cracked another 2 magnets.  That's like 3 down now.  Ordered another set of 10 but it's going to arrive too late to help glue down the elastics to the thighs.    Going with N50's this time around so as not to have to stack. Waiting to break a finger or a bad pinch with those.  Makes me nervous with going with a single elastic's tension rather than Rob's doubling up on them.  But my sister did alot of sewing of those loops.  If not enough tension it'll ride down my legs into the knee joint and shins.  Again, always having those second thoughts on procedure before I do it.

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

So ok; Question.  On the thigh Elastics, the way Rob does it is just folding the 16" of Elastic over and CA glueing thus creating a loop at the top.  The way RichieStromtrooper does it is sew a loop and then glue the rest internally/cut off the unneeded length.  I chose the sewn method.  Will there/Is there a problem with this method?  Which method did you do?  Will the lack of added tension of 2 elastics be of any concern?  What is the most widely used effective method?

I guess I'm asking the same question twice for clarity, but the way I plan on doing it is sewn and E6000.  Trimming about 8" off at the bottom.  Am I doing this wrong?

I used to glue mine then I started using an easier and more logical solution. Simply sew the top loop to fit your belt. At the bottom (thigh side) sew in some velcro (non-adhesive, hook side, 3-4" worth 2" wide). Apply the loop side velcro with adhesive to the inside of the shins 4-6" worth, Install and adjust as needed.