What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

Work on the Right Shin. First cuts. I've mentioned this before but here's my current problem. I mean if I correct it, then the front cs/seam/bottom begins going off to the right after adjustment. If I could mount my cam to my head and upload a vid I could more adequately describe it.

febYtjS.jpg

It’s barely noticeable on camera. Someone may very well come along to correct me but I don’t think that’ll be an issue at all. If you Velcro it in the corrected position, as long as it’s comfortable it should be fine. Is this an RS kit? If so, have you watched Rob’s build videos on YouTube? He covers every stage and addresses a lot of the little idiosyncrasies of certain parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found I needed to use a little heat to help get the pieces to sit right, I use a heat gun but you need a lot of experience with heating ABS to use one, many have no problems using a hot water bath to help adjust pieces

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Short4ATrooper said:

It’s barely noticeable on camera. Someone may very well come along to correct me but I don’t think that’ll be an issue at all. If you Velcro it in the corrected position, as long as it’s comfortable it should be fine. Is this an RS kit? If so, have you watched Rob’s build videos on YouTube? He covers every stage and addresses a lot of the little idiosyncrasies of certain parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've watched every minute of his build.  But he doesn't go into any detail on fitting.  He also does all strap/hook on the shins.

22 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I found I needed to use a little heat to help get the pieces to sit right, I use a heat gun but you need a lot of experience with heating ABS to use one, many have no problems using a hot water bath to help adjust pieces

Gotcha.  I tried a heat gun on making those bicep hooks.  I suck at it.  :)  Wondering how hot that water has to be in a bathtub.  Never done it.

Some info:

"This is what I think I need to do based on my research, but please chime in if you have suggestions.

1) Boil Water

2) transfer water to large container as required or leave in pot with stove off if large enough

3) Dip/submerge part into water for about 30 seconds

a) Part must be wrapped in tape or zip ties or similar to mold into desired shape

4) Repeat as neccessary

5) Once part looks like it has been shaped, immediately dose with cold water to set in new shape"

Example using water bath in thread

RS shins not lining up is common

As much as misery loves company, I did take special note of your link above @gmrhodes and advice.  I tended to pull overcorrected so that it would settle towards where it would be good, but not too far in drawing the front seam off to the right by too great a degree.  I really do not want to pull the coverstrips off on the front if I can keep from it.  Just have to see how it appears. 

So I considered boiling water, but in what container? Out of options with that big of a container to dip the entire shin in, I tried just a bit of Heat Gun. I was a little leary of it so I only went to maybe warm to the touch. Next try, drew hottest bathwater. That seemed to do a little, but not much. But a little. Next option, turn the largest stove top surface to high. Ran the piece over it for less than 5 minutes and probably a 10" to a foot over it, Rotating and turning it often with key area being the front seam and sides and then removed it from the heat and took it outside to cool rapidly. Sure enough the front seam had turned a bit outward. But this was the end result. Now I took a look at it and it seems I may need to put the edge of the cover strip a bit further to the right just to give it a good center, however I have to be careful how thin a strip of velcro I can run. I got 25 mm to work with so I should be ok?  

32Ljv5Y.jpg

ogFxTE3.jpg

So I'm a little concerned how off center the 'center line is.  Is it acceptable to go offcenter a bit at the bottom with the cover strip?  I mean It's gonna be tight getting that strip of  velcro to stay in place

LXwHkL8.jpg

It looks like it pulled the back left and the front right when I adjusted the upper to meet squared up.  It twirked it a bit.  Only way to really see is to just put the cs on it and do a some photo shoots.  Going to adjust that tripod down lower for better leg shots.

Edited by Zinfer

Alright so, I am going to install the 25mm cover strip later on tonight on the right shin.  I believe that adheres to the right half (outer) of the shin.  My chief question is how did you apply your velcro for quick suit ups?  Just with my thigh on (one) I found I could not bend over, both with the knee and the hip to put my shoes on. I had to sit down on a low stool to get my shoe on.  May need to half moon my thigh in that area, but the hips...?  But anyways  My question was did you do a few separate strips  or go all the way from top to bottom with a single strip?

Edited by Zinfer

Yes cover strip is glued on the outside of the shins, so it closes outside over inside, you don't see any openings them from the outside.

Thighs go on first, then your boots, then your shins.

"But anyways  My question was did you do a few separate strips  or go all the way from top to bottom with a single strip?"

Separate strips?, all cover strips are full length, not cut in pieces

With Velcro I prefer one piece, only a couple of corners that may pull up over time but with lots of pieces there more areas which may come up while removing, the Velcro is pretty strong.

On the rear of the shin the coverstrip finishes below the top ridge section.

gallery_12157_15_45796.jpg

• Like 1

Your progress is awesome!! all that worry and look at you go. Thigh looks great and calf will work out just fine Rodney.

• Like 1

Alright so, I am going to install the 25mm cover strip later on tonight on the right shin.  I believe that adheres to the right half (outer) of the shin.  My chief question is how did you apply your velcro for quick suit ups?  Just with my thigh on (one) I found I could not bend over, both with the knee and the hip to put my shoes on. I had to sit down on a low stool to get my shoe on.  May need to half moon my thigh in that area, but the hips...?  But anyways  My question was did you do a few separate strips  or go all the way from top to bottom with a single strip?

Hi Rodney,

For the Velcro fixings, personally, I don’t find it necessary to have Velcro all the way from top to bottom. One at the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom is enough. I also have an elastic tab with snaps/poppers attached to the rear of the boot (attached to inside of shin) to stop the shins from twisting.

However, Velcro has no give. So, I found that when I tried to navigate stairs, for example, the lack of flex at ankle could cause the snap to undo, which was a pain.

So, I went for a hybrid method, using Velcro at the top and middle, then Velcro on elastic tabs at the bottom to allow some give. This is a half way house between the Velcro method and the original elastic and bra hooks method.

Skip to around 3:00 to see thighs and shins with a visual look at the hybrid method;

• Like 1

It's really a personal preference. I use velcro all the way up, but also don't feel bound to have it close perfectly.  In ANH they do not, so I don't sweat it either.  Also at my height (6'0 and long legged), I could never get TE-derived shins to fit me so simply got a set from RT and later TM instead.  I'm impressed by all the work you are putting in - way beyond the usual.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Rodney,

For the Velcro fixings, personally, I don’t find it necessary to have Velcro all the way from top to bottom. One at the top, one in the middle and one at the bottom is enough. I also have an elastic tab with snaps/poppers attached to the rear of the boot (attached to inside of shin) to stop the shins from twisting.

However, Velcro has no give. So, I found that when I tried to navigate stairs, for example, the lack of flex at ankle could cause the snap to undo, which was a pain.

So, I went for a hybrid method, using Velcro at the top and middle, then Velcro on elastic tabs at the bottom to allow some give. This is a half way house between the Velcro method and the original elastic and bra hooks method.

Skip to around 3:00 to see thighs and shins with a visual look at the hybrid method;

Thanks Dan. Yea that Industrial strength velcro would work nice with say 1 top, 1 mid, 1 bottom.  I'll try that first.  It's hard to get back off.  I imagine especially in a full length strip.  I will see how it looks tonight after the glue cures on the right shin cover strip.  I've  a feeling it's going to be off from the rear thigh center line.  Especially towards the bottom where I had to bathe and then correct the upper edge trim.  I think it's gonna look as if my center line goes off to the inside.

I'd like to get back to you on the belt.  I think you have an RS kit too.  One problem at a time.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daetrin said:

It's really a personal preference. I use velcro all the way up, but also don't feel bound to have it close perfectly.  In ANH they do not, so I don't sweat it either.  Also at my height (6'0 and long legged), I could never get TE-derived shins to fit me so simply got a set from RT and later TM instead.  I'm impressed by all the work you are putting in - way beyond the usual.

Wow, thanks Daetrin!  I just ask an absurd amount of questions so props go to you guys here.  First time I've ever done this and I'm just soaking it in like a sponge.  I like to know every bit before I tackle each item and be certain what I'm doing.  Once sure, I tear straight into it.  Sometimes half-hazardly.  I was honestly shocked when I saw this piece after all this shin work I've been reesearching.  These costumes we're making are actually BETTER than what was originally seen.  

I don't really want to veer off at this point, but the Thigh garter belt straps are being sewn and started in on measuring and marking the left shin for cutting.  Waiting on the Right shin rear CS to dry throughout today.  Just doing some thinking ahead.  I am going to need to re-tackle the main belt.  While it was mounted on the mannequin, I attempted to snap those little button hole snaps and they absolutely would not stay attached for one reason or another.  Wouldn't it be more robust to put one of those snaps on there than that tiny little button hole snap?  I'm not sure why mine aren't staying attached more firmly.  I get one on - move to the other to attach that and the 1st one falls out and belt to the floor.  I like CableGuys idea of velcro in center but that's mainly cosmetic for the buttons.

10 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Hi Rodney,

Oh I see what you did there.  That made me go out and double check my Torso.  You have an additional snap on the right side from kidney plate to cod piece, towards the bottom.  I only have 1 on the top of the kidney plate.  I must have missed that memo.  A second would help it look more straight.  I've got the same thing going on with my main hinge.  It looks a little wonky.  But that could be that extra tire I've got carrying around with me.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Wow, thanks Daetrin!  I just ask an absurd amount of questions so props go to you guys here.  First time I've ever done this and I'm just soaking it in like a sponge.  I like to know every bit before I tackle each item and be certain what I'm doing.  Once sure, I tear straight into it.  Sometimes half-hazardly.  I was honestly shocked when I saw this piece after all this shin work I've been reesearching.  These costumes we're making are actually BETTER than what was originally seen.  

Hehe. Yes, we do tend to aim for more troop-ability with our kits rather than a few weeks being thrown around on set. ;-)

I’m sure you already know, but, the reason they are opening when the troopers run is because the original screen used calves were using elastics and bra hooks. The elastic gave a nice amount of “give” at the rear of the calves, making it easier to move.

This is why I did a hybrid in that video. Velcro top and middle (adhered direct to the armour), then elastics with the Velcro attached to the elastics for the bottom one. Made walking so much easier for my as you have a little give at the ankle, so the inner and outer parts can move and open, then the elastic pulls them back together. :-)

4 minutes ago, CableGuy said:

Hehe. Yes, we do tend to aim for more troop-ability with our kits rather than a few weeks being thrown around on set. ;-)

I’m sure you already know, but, the reason they are opening when the troopers run is because the original screen used calves were using elastics and bra hooks. The elastic gave a nice amount of “give” at the rear of the calves, making it easier to move.

This is why I did a hybrid in that video. Velcro top and middle (adhered direct to the armour), then elastics with the Velcro attached to the elastics for the bottom one. Made walking so much easier for my as you have a little give at the ankle, so the inner and outer parts can move and open, then the elastic pulls them back together. :-)

Actually I didn't realize they opened up to that degree.  I'll have to save that baggie of elastics if I change my mind later.  I haven't had to climb stairs or matter of factly, even walked in them to any great degree.  So that's all ahead of me I hope.

• Like 1

Slow day today.  Everything's E6000 curing.  Working on both shins at the same time.  I am not real happy with the looks of the velcro as it has a revealing thickness even under the rear coverstrips.  But I feel the elastic ribbons would be a real PITA to get the pins through the holes and get on.  If anyone has the elastic pins, how do yours work?  Are they a real challenge to get on x2?