What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

In my opinion, it’s not the overlap that’s making it difficult to test fit - it’s the huge return edge you’ve still got at the bottom. You could do with trimming that way back:

7aac2c3b14b30a4b9d79ce3f32174084.jpg

I’m no expert though so maybe check before you take it that far back but I can’t imagine having all that excess makes bending the plastic around your leg very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Rodney,

Charlie is right. That’s the untrimmed part I mentioned in post #388. This will make it quite hard to get a nice fit around your lower leg as that’s a pretty big return edge.

Id also consider something like this.

deb6a53e9800f947d01629823c98e3e5.jpg

Once you’ve trimmed this down a little, you can try test fitting again. Hopefully this will be more comfortable and allow you to get a good size. :-)

• Like 1

Left Thigh bottom Edge Trim Redux. 

aPcRySD.jpg

Tomorrow I will try a refit.   Tonight I am going to attempt more glue, clamps and magnets on the affected area in front.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

First cut made. Where directed to by Rob of RS and Richie Stormtrooper tutorials. Right Thigh outer. Now for a cautious inner cut.

8ce4rHm.jpg

cdThBNT.jpg

Are you following Rob’s sizes?
Like I mentioned before, they built their suit to original sizes. I’m a pretty slim guy and the original sizes (for the knee) were to small for me. I had to size it up.

7 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Are you following Rob’s sizes?
Like I mentioned before, they built their suit to original sizes. I’m a pretty slim guy and the original sizes (for the knee) were to small for me. I had to size it up.

The Initial first cut found by watching Ritchie Stormtroopers tutorial on Thighs above.  The inner is for fitting I believe.  Now the left is altogether different procedure.

Edited by Zinfer

Ok, well. I mean it's only money... Right Thigh. Planning the second cut. Opinions? Am I ready to cut that final line on the right for fit? Fits me fine, but cosmetics y'know. I've got about 55mm on one side and 55mm on the other. I could do with another measurement. It's not going exactly straight down because I'm being careful with that final joint at the bottom rear. Trying to meet it cleanly.

BZ57JuA.jpg

aiTooph.jpg

lmsJjJE.jpg

Dgor0j3.jpg

vLYYAiz.jpg

jnHdo1u.jpg

OwvWwVb.jpg

Ok, so I'm about 58mm on the right and 65mm on the left. So about 7mm difference. That's well within a 20mm cover strip.

IftguXR.jpg

yD3sw1c.jpg

Edited by Zinfer

If the fit is feeling comfortable, then its time to take that last step. have you walked around with the thigh on and does it still remain comfortable?

it is fine to have your cover strip slightly off set to the join, just try and keep it as central as possible to the center of your thigh. It can help to run an internal strip that does cover both halves equally if it needs extra strength, just like adding an internal strip to the front of the shin.

I oversized my thighs so I have plenty of room to move inside, they are not snug at all, and that is perfectly acceptable as well.

What you do want is a nice taper down the length of the leg from top of the thigh to the bottom of the shin.

Bottom of thigh size closely matches top of the shin size.

zk30B3t.png

They're as comfortable as can be expected having to hold your legs up with each step.  Above the knee. I still have the inner to cut. I loosened the fit up a bit and didn't go so tight on this particular fit to allow the elastics to be able to put the correct tension on the thighs.  I also have cut more away from the trim edge of the thigh bottoms. Under advice earlier, I was told to do the Thighs first and work my way down.  So no cutting of the Shins as of yet.  So far I've cut just a small amount of the outer right thigh.  I was brought to believe the fitting of it was a centered appearance and fit.  I found the typical and comfortable posture is legs spread a bit and  angled outward rather than straight forward.  I could tell this by looking in a mirror and the center strips of the front thighs. If you look at the typical 'At Attention' posture the back of the thighs center point butt to knee joint tends to have an inward angle from the rear to the deck.  I included images from the side, the back and the front.  Is the Right Thigh correct? 

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

Ok, well it's time. Time for the knife to fall. Measured, fit, pencil lines, double, triple quadruple and so on check. Pencil lines, endless refits. Seems like 2 weeks of work just for this right side thigh. Laying knife to plastic for better or worse.

ZyLHgn9.jpg

MvOJZ9R.jpg

Edited by Zinfer

And now to make the mistake permanent, well temporary permanent. E6000 adhesive, 20mm cover strip trimmed, clamps and magnets applied. About a 2 week process. Now to repeat and match this struggle on the Left Thigh.

C4JZbqC.jpg

pScqUHd.jpg

iEdAbrB.jpg

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 2

You did it!! well done Rod, you made the cut and it looks good sir. The other side should be less stressful for you and your progress should increase now you've gained a little more confidence.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about a mistake, have you looked at other builds for comparison, it's the best way to find information on assembly, many have put thighs together and not had as much trouble. Remember these kits where not made to be identical from one side to the other, they will not have exact measurements, there is no set sizing everyone has to size to themselves, having one slightly larger or smaller than the other won't be an issue. 

• Like 1

Well, what I've noticed is that the Left thigh on this armor is almost designed backwards, so it's kind of looking like doing this in reverse.  It's def not rinse repeat.  Going slow seems to be the only trick for me.  I am sweating bullets with these leg fittings.

20 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

You did it!! well done Rod, you made the cut and it looks good sir. The other side should be less stressful for you and your progress should increase now you've gained a little more confidence.

Yea, now for my next trick!  Doing this a second time!  Only in reverse!  

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

You could also wrap some of that tape around your magnets so they don't scratch the armor when your pulling them apart.

I found that there was liittle point in it.  I put painters tape around the 3 stacked magnets.  But then found that it would begin to wear.  Sticky side would be out on some.  As long as I keep a bottle of Novus #2 that works miracles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tat2trooper said:

You got it. On another note I like that arcade style carpet. 

Yea I could swear I bought that from 'Astro Carpet Mills'.  It's UV reactive, however I don't see it on their site.  But that also leads to another question.  The black lights.  I am wondering if they have a negative influence on armor.  Maybe not so much on PVC, but moreso ABS plastic.  I wonder if it's of any significance?  Walk in white, come out yellow?

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I'm not sure about a mistake, have you looked at other builds for comparison, it's the best way to find information on assembly, many have put thighs together and not had as much trouble. Remember these kits where not made to be identical from one side to the other, they will not have exact measurements, there is no set sizing everyone has to size to themselves, having one slightly larger or smaller than the other won't be an issue. 

Oh yea.  I looked all over.  Tried several keyword searches, looked at all the reference galleries I could find.  Surprisingly there's not much about the back of the thighs.  Matter of factly, I couldn't even find a good closeup of the upper cover strip angle.  So for now I just went with the standard edge clipping of either side at 45's.  I could go back and fix that if it turns out to be just an angle cut.

Edited by Zinfer

Don't make the mistake of believing the left thigh is easier than the right. There is less demarcation of the start cut than was on the right. So, down strictly to measurements at this point. Matching measurements of the right bottom to left bottom and likewise top. Getting a little hairy.

IFnAp6K.jpg