What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

Yes they probably 3D printer then made molds and not sanded enough.

There are a few differences but would allow you to upgrade your Hasbro ;) 

No Dooby doesn't come with a rail.

You would also have to make a cylinder mount with that kit 

cylinder-template-2-more-accurate-v.png243.jpg

• Like 1

Left Shin front cover strip completed, put a couple drops super glue towards the bottom where it didn't get enough coverage from the E6000. Right Shin cover strip now applied. Looks like Tomorrow we'll start on the first Thigh frontal cover strip. All the leg armor remains to be fitted yet. The Arm parts are fitted. 

iMHipZx.jpg

Ne030x3.jpg

• Like 2

I've gotta be careful with the trimming/fitting of the back of the shins as I ride a bike for exercise/weight loss and my legs get most of that gain from the daily workout.  One thing I found is my right calf appears larger than my left.  I've never heard of that before.  My sister noticed it.

8 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I've gotta be careful with the trimming/fitting of the back of the shins as I ride a bike for exercise/weight loss and my legs get most of that gain from the daily workout.  One thing I found is my right calf appears larger than my left.  I've never heard of that before.  My sister noticed it.

I came across this with a commission build, the person had different sized calf’s so I had to add larger cover strips on the rear.

26 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I came across this with a commission build, the person had different sized calf’s so I had to add larger cover strips on the rear.

Well it's not grossly larger, but it was enough for someone else to notice with my being in biking shorts.  Gonna look this up.  I guess I should mention next time I see the doc.  Never paid attention to it, but I guess it could be a serious thing after looking it up, but you know how those sites are.  :D

Edited by Zinfer

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

Well it's not grossly larger, but it was enough for someone else to notice with my being in biking shorts.  Gonna look this up.  I guess I should mention next time I see the doc.  Never paid attention to it, but I guess it could be a serious thing after looking it up, but you know how those sites are.  :D

Generally what this means is you have one leg stronger than the other. This can be caused by an injury sustained at some time and various muscle groups compensate for others. i was a cyclist, road and Criterium racer for years and have seen plenty with thighs or calf muscle at different sizes.

Your leaner leg may well be the one doing the extra work so it has less fat and stronger fibers than the other. Generally isolated weights will expose the difference in strength which in turn will give you a program of specific exercises to do to bring balance to the left and right legs. Eventually the size difference will decrease but everyone does tend to favor either their left or right for work load.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sly11 said:

Generally what this means is you have one leg stronger than the other. This can be caused by an injury sustained at some time and various muscle groups compensate for others. i was a cyclist, road and Criterium racer for years and have seen plenty with thighs or calf muscle at different sizes.

Your leaner leg may well be the one doing the extra work so it has less fat and stronger fibers than the other. Generally isolated weights will expose the difference in strength which in turn will give you a program of specific exercises to do to bring balance to the left and right legs. Eventually the size difference will decrease but everyone does tend to favor either their left or right for work load.

Yea I've heard that it tends to be on your leading side, myself I'm right handed, so.  But still should ask the doc to take a look my next visit.  I should look into it.  But I guess the point is, I ride a bike and majority of my exercise is the bike so not a good idea to Precisely fit.  Leave a little extra maybe.  Thighs I'd like to get snug fit.  I wish there were costume fitters in Ohio because the legs are hard.  Seems the only fitters are the producers.

Edited by Zinfer

Alright, today the front cover strip and Left thigh parts trimmed and ready. Applied the strip. Looks a little off but it is trimmed to the appropriate center lines.  The 20mm cover strip begins at the very pointy end of the join at the bottom.  I trimmed the little pointy owchies off at the top.  I'll have to do some finish trimming of the CS upper after the glue dries and perhaps use some super glue.  I trimmed it too long somehow.

TqPOkc5.jpg

AFmUaUj.jpg

Could really have used more magnets here. Apparently 24 is not enough. 3 magnets per stack top and bottom.

Edited by Zinfer

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

Alright, today the front cover strip and Left thigh parts trimmed and ready. Applied the strip. Looks a little off but it is trimmed to the appropriate center lines.  The 20mm cover strip begins at the very pointy end of the join at the bottom.  I trimmed the little pointy owchies off at the top.  I'll have to do some finish trimming of the CS upper after the glue dries and perhaps use some super glue.  I trimmed it too long somehow.

Could really have used more magnets here. Apparently 24 is not enough. 3 magnets per stack top and bottom.

You can never have enough magnets, clamps or painters tape (I ordered more after this photo)

upG2FJs.jpg

Screen used has some tapper but cover strip is over more

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You can never have enough magnets, clamps or painters tape (I ordered more after this photo)

upG2FJs.jpg

Screen used has some tapper but cover strip is over more

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

My goodness!  Now that's alot of clamps and magnets!  Honestly that thigh looks to have a 25mm cover strip as well.  You know this White Gaffers tape is some pretty incredible stuff.

Edited by Zinfer

3 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

Honestly that thigh looks to have a 25mm cover strip as well.

gallery_12157_59_169068.jpg

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

gallery_12157_59_169068.jpg

Optical illusion then.  It sure does look fatter than a 20mm.  I have to admit, after I observed how off it looked, I did look inside to see if my join was even on both top and bottom.  I'm sitting right directly in the middle of it equally.  I think I see what it is, CS was probably in fact slid over a bit further and he was catching towards the edge of the join.  Your probably right.

• Like 1

Well I went out there.  Attempted to slide it just a bit.  Nothing doing.  It's began to set and wasn't budging.  Gave me a chance to trim up the top of it anyways.  Applied some glue at the very top for the trimmed edge.  Only other thing to do would be to take advantage of it being E6000, pull it, pick all the glue off and reapply, but honestly I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 2

Last project of the day. 4x 15mm Arm cover strips cut and sanded. These will be used on the biceps and forearms. As far as I know, this is the last of the cover strips.

36PJpBs.jpg

Ah I forgot, I need to cut a couple for the insides of the front shins as reinforcements. Those'll be 20's I think maybe 15mm since on the inside.

• Like 1

Right front thigh with a 20mm cover strip applied using E6000, clamps and magnets. The last of the legs until fitting time and applying the rear cover strips. I get very nervous fitting. If it's off, the whole piece may be scrapped. I feel the leg parts are the hardest to fit. Muscle groups always flexing, awkward to reach, drawing lines. The whole procedure is just better handled by two people that know what they're doing. Next up is the Arms at 15mm cover strips. 

XuahSWk.jpg

QxMl7Fe.jpg

For the moment work on the legs is semi-finished. Have fit them for size yet and put the final cover strips on them. Starting in on the Arms. Today, the Left Bicep. Trimmed out all the owchies and sanded. Don't need my undersuit shredded by pointy bits. Able to get both front and back assembled. Letting it sit and dry overnight. Tomorrow, the Right Bicep. Going to have to run to Hobby Lobby and pick up some popsicle sticks. Apparently these are well used for removing glue that has seeped from the edges. A lifetime supply of popsicle sticks when I only need maybe a few.

8Gmdt7j.jpg

QPO24GZ.jpg

Took a tip from PandaProps and picked up a bag of craft sticks (popsicle). The attempt was designed to remove areas of glue that emerged from under cover strip seams. I was absolutely shocked and surprised with the ease with which it removed these 'glue boogers'. Hats off to Panda and this trick.

vVM83AU.jpg

18 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Even scrap ABS cover strip offcuts are good for rubbing off excess E6000 

Yes, I've taken to doing this before applying the cover strips.  Just to spread the glue around more evenly before applied to the piece.

I am really having a hard time with this. Fitting the rear calves and thighs seems impossible for one person to do. If I had the accurate cut lines it'd be cake, but hard to get those. The pieces want to curl and not give a straight cut line. Hard to fiddle with and get accurate. Not cutting anything until I know it's right. This portion is so HARD to do. Taken after getting dressed in the undersuit and Left Boot. This is the Left calf/shin. Seems like a two man job to me for sure.

YwrSYFg.jpg

xTVqMUI.jpg

Over-riding feeling of procrastination and to wait to find someone that knows what they are doing here.  Same with the Thighs.  This screams of danger.

Edited by Zinfer

You may notice the right lower angles outwards so be wary cutting anything of the bottom corner

If your concern is with the way it twist at the top so they dont align, please dont worry. This is relatively normal with several kits.

tape the shin closed so the top aligns then add your pencil mark at the bottom where you need to trim so the bottoms once cut will also align. You will want to follow the contour of the shape at the bottom of each half in the event you find them too long anyway. Don't worry if they are a touch too big for you in girth, foam padding can sort that issue out if they twist while wearing them.

have a look on my build thread from page 4 onward for some images and ideas of how i went about it.

Well I mean, the problems are all over.  Just take a look at this top joint.  Practically HAVE to half moon cut  it just to try and make it look right.  Really not ready to tackle sizing the shins and thighs. This is really looking disasterous.

pfyee6E.jpg

edTpaZy.jpg