What have I gotten myself into?

Zinfer

That image wasn't really there for reference of width of the cover strip, more showing the extra material on the sides of the cover strips, 20mm is standard front and 25mm on the back

• Like 1

I got the one side all sliced up, gonna run some lines around the tops for the leg, maybe throw on the undersuit.  Not going to fit it completely until I get some coverstrips.  Just taping for now after I sand everything down.

Make sure you wear undersuit and most importantly your boots, can make a huge difference with boots on

• Like 1

The Left Shin. I emailed Rob at RS Propmasters last night and he responded:

'Let me check. I’ll also ship another set Fedex tomorrow, which will be fully tracked.

Sorry for the delay. The pandemic+Holidays+Brexit is causing havoc with the mail systems here!

Fedex will cure this.

Regards, Rob '

So, needing those front cover strips before I can hope to cut/fit the back. Working on the Right Shin later on tonight. 

EgIze4s.jpg

So, hopefully my cover strip material is on it's way somewhere between Stockport, England, the Atlantic Ocean and Ohio.

• Like 1

I know it looks reverse, but with RS, I guess they only have one set of shins, just copied.  The only difference will be the trimming of the lower portion.  I think I'm correct in this.

Edited by Zinfer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

I know it looks reverse, but with RS, I guess they only have one set of shins, just copied.  The only difference will be the trimming of the lower portion.  I think I'm correct in this.

Correct

• Like 1

So I do have a question.  I've been told to also throw a coverstrip down the inside (as flexing to put these on causes stress)  I mean, down the road should I ever need to pull apart to expand the joint (if I get fat) won't that cause a problem with that?  I mean is it superflous?  Is this widely done?

I guess it's an opinion.

8 minutes ago, Zinfer said:

So I do have a question.  I've been told to also throw a coverstrip down the inside (as flexing to put these on causes stress)  I mean, down the road should I ever need to pull apart to expand the joint (if I get fat) won't that cause a problem with that?  I mean is it superflous?  Is this widely done?

I guess it's an opinion.

A lot of people add the inner strip, I do to all of the builds I have done, shins do get a lot of flex over time opening and closing so extra support can help prevent cracking.

You don't have to add them if you don't want too

• Like 3

they should get back to you rather quickly, albeit a day due to the location.  However, FYI, I also had a fit issue with RS.  They are true to their reputation and corrected it and sent out new pieces in just under two weeks.  I am positive you will still have a very nicely made set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zinfer said:

I guess it's an opinion.

You're doing loads better than me, I got my 2 boxes in December, and.... consolidated it into one box.  I built the thermal detonator and it turned out okay.  I've been in too much of a panic to cut much of anything else, all the videos seem to contradict each other, or just be vague on certain subjects.

I started a build thread yesterday and will probably tackle a lot of it this weekend, with support from this forum.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FTL900 said:

"all the videos seem to contradict each other, or just be vague on certain subjects"

Good point however, with the exception of a couple areas most armor have the same general information when it comes to where to trim and connect. You'll be ok Michael, there's a lot of folks here to help. You mentioned you started a build thread, perfect. 

14 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

A lot of people add the inner strip, I do to all of the builds I have done, shins do get a lot of flex over time opening and closing so extra support can help prevent cracking.

You don't have to add them if you don't want too

See!? this is why its always good to follow build threads.... I am learning something..

The shin guards I have from RSP crack and creak when I flex them to put them on.  I think this is more of the shape and dimensions of the troopers leg.  Larger body parts look like it would be more to flex, but I am seeing the opposite.  The tighter the curl the more it needs to flex in a shorter distance.  I know mine will eventually break someday, being a degreed engineer in plastics.  I keep an emergency kit with me now which includes some ready made strips, extra snaps, strapping, glue, a little white touch up paint, batteries, etc.  I will need to add something for the shin pieces. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FTL900 said:

You're doing loads better than me, I got my 2 boxes in December, and.... consolidated it into one box.  I built the thermal detonator and it turned out okay.  I've been in too much of a panic to cut much of anything else, all the videos seem to contradict each other, or just be vague on certain subjects.

I started a build thread yesterday and will probably tackle a lot of it this weekend, with support from this forum.  

I've used Rob's tuts, also Ritchie StormTrooper and Cableguy's videos.  When I was still stuck I took many many pictures and asked here and it was made crystal clear my course I needed to take.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harder said:

See!? this is why its always good to follow build threads.... I am learning something..

The shin guards I have from RSP crack and creak when I flex them to put them on.  I think this is more of the shape and dimensions of the troopers leg.  Larger body parts look like it would be more to flex, but I am seeing the opposite.  The tighter the curl the more it needs to flex in a shorter distance.  I know mine will eventually break someday, being a degreed engineer in plastics.  I keep an emergency kit with me now which includes some ready made strips, extra snaps, strapping, glue, a little white touch up paint, batteries, etc.  I will need to add something for the shin pieces. 

Any suggestions?

I plan on keeping the roll of white gaffers tape on troops.  Quick in the moment fixes.

• Like 1

IF only I could find that page that tells me the cover strip sizes to refresh my memory.  I'm watching Rob tell me 12mm and Ritchie Stormtrooper tell me 15mm.  And finally Cableguy says 15mm on his vid.  Thoughts? So if it's 15mm, then I need to make my cuts at around 8mm either side.  At 12, it'd be 6mm.  Before I mark or cut I just want to be sure.  I believe it'll end up matching the coverstrip size for the biceps then as well.

Edited by Zinfer

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

How many threads do you want :laugh1:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Arms front and back 15mm

Thighs front and back 20mm

Shins front 20mm, rear 25mm

How many threads do you want :laugh1:

Thank you buddy.  For some odd reason I was thinking 25mm for the back of the thighs.

• Like 1

Ok, so the build for the day; Right Forearm. Cut and trimmed and sanded. The measurements were 8mm either side for a 15mm cover strip. Taped in place for the meantime. When it comes time to fit these I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. I've no idea how to do that as far as right over left, left over right? Just don't know right now. And that's gonna be the REAL TRICK in receiving the cover strip material. I really feel I'm going to need help with that come time to fit the thighs and shins especially. I would think you'd want to fit in a standing position. Not sitting.  

QWRcTGo.jpg

OWuhbAu.jpg

9Mf1ikz.jpg

And tomorrow for the final Large part. The Left Forearm assembly.

kGAfMi8.jpg

Fitting all the parts, gluing all the coverstrips, all the strapping remains as well as work ahead in adjustments, work on the blaster, electronics such as the Icomm and helmet fan coolers. So much ahead. And then finally applying and filing for approval in the Ohio Garrison and 501st Legion. About 20-30 pounds to lose somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

Ok, so the build for the day; Right Forearm. Cut and trimmed and sanded. The measurements were 8mm either side for a 15mm cover strip. Taped in place for the meantime. When it comes time to fit these I'm gonna be a nervous wreck. I've no idea how to do that as far as right over left, left over right? Just don't know right now. And that's gonna be the REAL TRICK in receiving the cover strip material. I really feel I'm going to need help with that come time to fit the thighs and shins especially. I would think you'd want to fit in a standing position. Not sitting.  
QWRcTGo.jpg

OWuhbAu.jpg

9Mf1ikz.jpg

Regarding sizing the back of the forearm (or any other parts in your build), personally, I’d start by following the RS videos step by step and size up from there. Rob kindly advises the size of the original parts that they own. So, I would listen to his measurements and tape the piece to that size, and see how it fits.

If it fits you, that’s excellent - you can then go ahead and build to the original sizes. If it is a bit tight, you can then open up the back a little at a time to get a good fit for you.

5 hours ago, Zinfer said:

Thank you buddy.  For some odd reason I was thinking 25mm for the back of the thighs.

If you need to go wider on the back of the thighs because you need that little bit extra room, 25 - 30 is perfectly fine.

The front of the limbs is where you want it as correct as possible. In saying that, no one is going to scale your photos and say "hey your cover strips are bigger than 16mm not 15mm" :)

• Like 1

I actually kind of meant on the biceps, forearms as far as they being so much bigger than my actual biceps and forearms.  The other way.  As all fittings occur in the back I believe.  Didn't know if it makes a difference if you look at how I was wrapping that forearm from one side to the other on the overlap.

Edited by Zinfer