MMcFett's Little Short for a Stormtrooper HSP R1TK build

MMcFett

Hello all,

I have a whole HSP R1TK kit that I've recently begun work on. The first thing I want to check, before I put countless hours into this costume, is will this be worth my time? What I mean by that is I'm a small framed person, 5'8" 165 pounds, and every piece of armor will need to be trimmed to fit me. I'd hate to butcher this up and get something that isn't approvable by the time it fits me. If I can make it work, I'll need help knowing how to trim everything to fit. I'm familiar with Mando builds and done a few different types of helmets but not a TK kit before.

Here, for example, is the arm piece. I know I have to trim the sides along my arm but you can see I'll need to shorten the whole piece to match the length of my arm. How much do I take off?3c4193ceff389cb9309f1329c235e7f5.jpg

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome aboard, can't say I've seen a smaller framed person with a R1 build thread here but I may be wrong, it would be a case of trimming to your size so it's a bit hard to say how much to trim. I would advise having a look at others R1 build threads as well as the R1 Gallery Section and work from there. 

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, can't say I've seen a smaller framed person with a R1 build thread here but I may be wrong, it would be a case of trimming to your size so it's a bit hard to say how much to trim. I would advise having a look at others R1 build threads as well as the R1 Gallery Section and work from there. 
Yeah the trimming is where I need help. I've seen some small TKs so I would imagine I could do a Rogue 1 version too.

Is this kit ABS or fiberglass Michael?

If ABS its relatively easy but i would suggest not trimming to length or circumference without wearing your under suit and working from that point. You dont want to take too much material away leaving parts short. or too narrow to fit once the under suit is on. You can look at many TK armour building threads to see how this is done, doesn't have to be R1 to get the general idea.

The first cut is always the hardest and was for all of us that had never modified or built armour before.

There is a rule to follow, measure twice, cut once.  It can also help to remove less than you need to then re check the size. If still too large, then re mark and trim again.

• Like 1

Is this kit ABS or fiberglass Michael?
If ABS its relatively easy but i would suggest not trimming to length or circumference without wearing your under suit and working from that point. You dont want to take too much material away leaving parts short. or too narrow to fit once the under suit is on. You can look at many TK armour building threads to see how this is done, doesn't have to be R1 to get the general idea.
The first cut is always the hardest and was for all of us that had never modified or built armour before.
There is a rule to follow, measure twice, cut once.  It can also help to remove less than you need to then re check the size. If still too large, then re mark and trim again.
It's an ABS suit with resin details. I don't have an undersuit yet. Should I get one before working on the armor?

I would highly recommend it. The aim is to size it right for you, so you look your absolute best. You will need the boots as well to size the bottom of the calves correctly and the neck seal.

• Like 1

I would highly recommend it. The aim is to size it right for you, so you look your absolute best. You will need the boots as well to size the bottom of the calves correctly and the neck seal.
Ah good point! I hadn't thought of that.

• Like 1

Using painters on armor to give a visual reference before trimming is a good idea, full length mirror can also be a great help ;) 

• Like 1