TheRascalKing's Jimmiroquai First Order TK (Re-)Build Thread (*Abandoned*)

TheRascalKing

Now that I've finished my 4th OTTK Centurion approval... and my ROTK is nearing completion approved... if only I could find something... maybe a new build... to keep me busy during the holidays/continued lockdown... ;) 

I4LCO1W.jpg

MORE TO COME SOON! :D

• Like 4

IT’S OFFICIAL! You know, by the time all this craziness is over you may even have had time to convert your ROTK to a Mimban, and then maybe this TFA TK to another variation as well.

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

IT’S OFFICIAL! You know, by the time all this craziness is over you may even have had time to convert your ROTK to a Mimban, and then maybe this TFA TK to another variation as well.

original.gif

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TheRascalKing said:

if only I could find something... maybe a new build... to keep me busy during the holidays/continued lockdown.

What if you apply your guitar for EIB and Centurion?  :laugh1::laugh1::D:peace:  Good luck mate!!  looking forward for your advances.  

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 3:54 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Somehow I knew this was coming..., lol.  Best of luck on your build, brother!!  :jc_doublethumbup:

Psh, even I didn't necessarily know it was coming! hahaha I told myself I never wanted to mess with gaskets and that I wouldn't, but I was starting to run out of white armor to noodle with and I don't think people want to see an ROTJ as much as they do an FOTK! I came across this great deal when I wasn't even really looking and it was too hard to pass up.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:35 AM, TKSpartan said:

What if you apply your guitar for EIB and Centurion?  :laugh1::laugh1::D:peace:  Good luck mate!!  looking forward for your advances.  

Hey, it's white and shiny... but I don't want you guys drawing colored lines on it and I think some of the paint is outside the lines :

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

Aight here it is, guys... took some time to lay it all out and triage the good, the bad, and well, the ugly!

5nqsKfJ.jpg

So if you don't already know, I'm in the final stages of wrapping up my ROTK build (I know, I know, I'll finish that before I begin any work in earnest on this one!) and I really like the way Jim's armor is made and was keeping an eye open for sales or discounts on perhaps picking up a set. I actually had purchased a B-grade set of KB Props armor super cheap, but wasn't too stoked on an ABS build in general and decided to give it up (and a few other things) in a little yard sale to go towards an FO. And wouldn't you know it, a fully painted and assembled suit popped up for sale here on FISD that was only about an hour's drive away to go get! I hit @Dynamic1 up and ended up driving down to swoop up his kit. I got what I felt was a pretty darn good deal, but there is of course a good deal of work to do to bring the kit both up to being in good repair, and further to my generally high standards. I'll go through all the things I'm stoked about, and the stuff that concerns me below (with some pics!) So strap in, here's another Rascal build (rebuild? upgrade?) comin' your way.

The GOOD:

- The kit is fully assembled, and Brian is about the same height and weight as me (though much more muscular, but FO's are kind of top-heavy anyways, and the biceps fit fine).

- The kit was available locally and didn't need to be shipped (Orange County to north San Diego county isn't close, but definitely not far!).

- The kit is fully painted!!! And pretty darn well, with almost all the pinholes and imperfections filled, and with a easily available Krylon rattle-can white... but there are some issues (see further below).

- It included a set of boots (too small, but I can sell em and recoup some cost since I have a pair from Imperial Boots for my ROTK already), gloves (TrooperBay ones I may replace with EndorFinders), and even a blaster (3D-printed that I may replace as well).

YdPes06.jpg

Ps9Xc7U.jpg?1

The Hengstler counter bit fell off but I have it somewhere, no worries. It has pretty bad print lines and I juuuuuust don't want to sand it, so it will likely be replaced, but is great for now!

- It included a metal R2Dan holster already! It wasn't paint-matched very well, but I can respray it.
DQmSBsg.jpg

- I stopped by @Oztrooper 's house to drop off some stuff for @equuspolo and he happened to have a fresh Anovos ABS FO helmet up for grabs and offered it to me at a reasonable price, so I grabbed it! Wasn't expecting to purchase it just yet, but it worked out. He had already done some of the mods I'd want to do anyways, including reshaping the duckbill a bit with heat, adding a rubber neckseal trim, and a metal aerator tip from VaderPainter (now no longer made?). Big thanks to him for the convenient hookup. I actually had an Anovos Premier that I got an incredible (eBay) deal on, but it was just too dang heavy.

OhUXrAj.jpg

eFGX7ko.jpg?1

The BAD and the UGLY:

- The kit did not come with much in the way of strapping and what's in it, I will likely replace anyways. Step one will probably be stripping the interior and hitting it with a quick coat of flat white touchup. It looks like it was a mix of velcro and snaps, but I've been messing with magnets a lot lately, hmmm....
rVSWlh5.jpg

3NBzIMO.jpg

- Severalll pieces of the kit will need to be sanded and repainted due to scuffs (like this knee that I already started sanding). Some other pieces may clean up with a polish. I would prefer not to have to repaint the whole kit, but I learned a lot from my last rodeo and will see how much it bugs me.

d5JqrSV.jpg

DTUFv0w.jpg

Xfkqbca.jpg

- Jim's kit in general does not have a couple features that may hold me up for Centurion if I choose to go there (have you met me before tho? haha) - the forearm wrist boxes are molded in, as are the ab belt boxes. Perhaps I can add a small groove to simulate them being separate pieces? ( @shashachu @justjoseph63 @TKSpartan would that fly?)

hjlvsi7.jpg

wiaOA0Q.jpg

- All the small accent details are stickers - I will likely paint most them on and replace the chest/shin/bicep bits with the proper cutout/gaff tape combo.

DVEHh5g.jpg

euTCkry.jpg

41pZBMy.jpg

- The back yoke is cracked at the shoulders pretty bad, which scares me, but also makes it a prime candidate for @ukswrath 's shoulder bell bracket/reinforcement/support thing. I probably will NOT run the strapping THROUGH the yoke like you're supposed to, but fiberglassing the bracket in may be a good way to both repair and update its accuracy.

oks29cg.jpg

IX1q9Ou.jpg

- The ab boxes have some pretty bad cracks, likely from being flexed up while suiting up/down. These and the shoulders are the worst of it, but there are a few small stress cracks in other places that I MAY address... these I will for SURE.
XSxNy9M.jpg

- At least one little greebly fell off, but they'd probably benefit from switching out the velcro with the new Ultra-Thin stuff I came across in my other build thread!

MlXAEHe.jpg

- The belt is the proper sandwich of three materials, but needs to be reglued, as it has largely separated. Brian said the belt was a giant pain in the butt, like my RO, so I'm glad it's already pretty much done.

59Oqbxy.jpg

I think that's all for now... just wanted to do some triage and get some pics up to show you (and myself) what I'm up against. I may be able to rig up some strapping and try it on in the next couple weeks, but this will likely be 2021's project. I'll post more once I've finished my RO (updates on that coming soon) and work on this begins! Thanks for stopping by and joining in on the madness once again!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

Yoke is one of the areas which take a lot of strain, Tony @ukswrath has a nice kit for strengthening that area https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44120-fs-ukswraths-fotk-shoulder-bell-and-yoke-brackets/

I've noticed having a look over a few of Jim's kits that they do suffer from cracking in quite a few areas appears it's a downfall of the flexible fiberglass, pieces can be quite soft and if you leave them on their sides they can oval over time just from the weight.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, TheRascalKing said:

Jim's kit in general does not have a couple features that may hold me up for Centurion if I choose to go there (have you met me before tho? haha) - the forearm wrist boxes are molded in, as are the ab belt boxes. Perhaps I can add a small groove to simulate them being separate pieces? ( @shashachu @justjoseph63 @TKSpartan would that fly?

Hey Justin! Cool set  mate..

That's a good question, I think It will depend on how they look after the groove work. I'm sure you're going to find the way to make it to Centurion, you, badges and stars  collector!!  :peace:  Good luck with your build :salute:

On 11/27/2020 at 2:43 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Yoke is one of the areas which take a lot of strain, Tony @ukswrath has a nice kit for strengthening that area https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44120-fs-ukswraths-fotk-shoulder-bell-and-yoke-brackets/

I've noticed having a look over a few of Jim's kits that they do suffer from cracking in quite a few areas appears it's a downfall of the flexible fiberglass, pieces can be quite soft and if you leave them on their sides they can oval over time just from the weight.

I either have a couple of Jims kits or have built them for others and yes especially in drier climates, minor to severe cracking can occur. Between adding metal brackets in certain areas as you've mentioned fiberglass reinforcement also worked well. 

Just organizing my thoughts and links a bit...

Shopping List (for approval)

$400 Undersuit with cloth gaskets, neck seal, & rigging Sheev's Emporium

$40 Shiny shorts Geeky Pink's

Upgrades

Metal thigh holster R2Dan

Rear zipper closure Sheev's Emporium

$38 Shoulder Bell and Yoke Brackets Ukswrath's Specialty

+ $4 Chest Pill Box Fabric Mesh Ukswrath's Specialty

$55 Gloves EndorFinders
$180 F-11D Blaster + $130 Se44-C Pistol The Imperial Factory

Task List

For Approval

- repaint knee armor

- repaint posterior

- repair spat/greeblie

- repair belt separation

- replace all strapping

Upgrades

- install shoulder bell support brackets

~ strengthen/repair cracks in yoke shoulders

- repair cracks

~ ab boxes

- simulate separate pieces

~ ab boxes

~ wrist boxes

- add magnetic attachments for chest panel

- smooth and repaint all panel interiors flat white

- remove and repaint thigh holster to match (need Torx security drivers - ordered)

- repaint and clear any panels with severe paint issues

~ chest

~ ab

- paint helmet interior black

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

3D print blaster kitsThe Imperial Factory - ( Facebook sales page)  Link Here  Email Link Here 

This is printed at a high end facility with industrial resin printers, no clean up required and many happy customers

Don't forget this link

Right there with you and following. Got my KB TLJ to start messing with and Jeff’s TLJ Anovos bucket by dumb luck signing posters.
Let me know if you need any fiberglass supplies as I have epoxy resin and glass from a different project.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sly11 said:

3D print blaster kitsThe Imperial Factory - ( Facebook sales page)  Link Here  Email Link Here 

This is printed at a high end facility with industrial resin printers, no clean up required and many happy customers

Don't forget this link:

Ah gotcha - yea, I've been using that resource, but was previously like, "3D printed? Nope."... being resin and largely without cleanup makes a BIG difference. I'm gonna take a look, thanks!

13 hours ago, mikidymac said:

Right there with you and following. Got my KB TLJ to start messing with and Jeff’s TLJ Anovos bucket by dumb luck signing posters.
Let me know if you need any fiberglass supplies as I have epoxy resin and glass from a different project.

Lucky guy! Will do, thank you!

• TheRascalKing changed the title to TheRascalKing's Jimmiroquai First Order TK (Re-)Build Thread
  • 2 weeks later...

Thankyou both for helping me offload my buckets...the TFA is Centurion ready, and the TLJ just needed the under chin area resculpted...Im moving away from the New Trilogy FO gear for awhile...CHEERS

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hey all, apologies for the lack of updates on this thread... where does the time go? I admittedly have had a bunch going on lately (which I'll post a bit about here - again, my threads are less of a 'how-to' and more of a diary of my journey, and often includes a bit of life updates as well for those curious...) but I have also made some progress that I haven't shared just yet. Hang on, it's a doozy.

Sooooo what's that ol' Rascal been up to?

Frankly, I've been super burnt out, took some time off, and am easing back into things. I was fortunate enough to be part of a pretty cool project over the summer and ended up working on (building or rebuilding) like a half dozen suits in a very short timeline, and by the end of it, didn't even want to look at armor again for a while! haha More on that... later maybe.

Next up, let's do a workspace update - I finally took the time to do a little garage/workshop remodel, so I could stop building armor in the living room of our one-bedroom. This little overhaul included doing some restoration work on an old metal workbench and vice that was left to me by my late grandfather. The workbench was cleaned up, repainted inside and out, got a new laminate top, a very cool oversize architect style light, second movable clamp light for detail projects, new hand press for snaps/punches, a power strip, cutting surface, drawer organizers, and an old monitor I had laying around (with VGA-to-USB-C connector, so my phone can run an Android desktop environment on it - great for displaying reference materials, how-to videos, etc). The old Columbia vice was also disassembled, cleaned, sanded/filed, and repainted somewhere near its former glory. I was also fortunate enough to receive a couple of new tools as wedding presents, including a very nice Milwaukee drill from @Ninety-Nine and a cordless rotary tool. I also got some pretty awesome Wall Control pegboard for behind the bench, to hold many of my tools (and a row of blasters). Finally, I updated my little patch collection wall in the space above it - featuring some fun FISD, IOC, and Southern California Garrison/Orange County Squad patches (my personal units). A brighter, directional main garage light also replaced the bare low-watt bulb. Pretty happy with how it all came out, but I still have a good deal of organizing to do and will likely add some more bins/organizers to the side. I added a lot of links in case anyone wants to know where this stuff came from - I'd recommend any of it!

Before:

O1t4qzt.jpg

And after (still a work in progress):

1xIAfVw.jpg?1

KEODCl1.jpg

Speaking of wedding presents, I took a good deal of time out this summer to help plan things out, and well... get MARRIED! My wife (and Jawa, DZ-71490) and I had a beautiful, small ceremony in August at a resort overlooking the beach and it was a phenomenal day. @Dsposato0 was kind enough to help MC and represent the FISD :P  

6hFmDhm.jpgBKFvfrR.jpg

Crazy enough, a few weeks after the wedding (bringing us to the last couple weeks), and she ended up spending a long weekend in the hospital with a burst appendix and recovering, so armor again went on the backburner while I took care of her. She's doing much better though and work continues!

I also was PET-scanned again this summer and continue to be in remission from cancer, so that's cool too. Butttt I also ended up taking a fin to the back of the head while out surfing in May and needed 20 internal sutures and 17 staples to hold my head shut, so that wasn't fun and prevented me from wearing a bucket for about 6 weeks (Hall of Meat - a pic of the wound for those with a strong stomach). It healed up well but again, set me back. We've forsure had ENOUGH medical issues to deal with lately.

I have a build for @JHowe102 and a new Shadowtrooper recruit I'm currently still working on (but nearing completion), then once those are out the door, it will be back to focusing on the FOTK, then on an Anovos ANH build to replace my original ANH-S suit that has seen some battle... I was able to be patient in my search and came across a deal I couldn't say no to. I won't be doing a build thread persay (why, when @ukswrath has it fully covered?) but will likely do a little 'tips and tricks' thread, showing some of the techniques and tools I use throughout my build, and maybe it'll help someone (or me with your comments!). Still a bit backed up in the (MESSY) workshop though.

sOOpXvk.jpg

Okay, so where's the FOTK at?!

So let's start with a little spoiler for future projects (since I SWEAR I'm done for a while after closing all of these open projects out... adding some little troopers will be the focus!)... I bought more armor haha I found someone selling JUST the pieces needed to upgrade from TFA to TLJ, also from @jimmiroquai , and painted, 'ready to wear'. I saw the Facebook Marketplace post right around when the new Black Series TLJ buckets started shipping, so it felt like fate. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about BS conversions, orrr about buying secondhand armor, but nope - I had these parts shipped from the UK and was pretty disappointed in the paint preparation and overall quality. You can literally see where a piece of masking tape was left and just painted over... the chest pills were hacked pretty haphazardly... and there was both topical damage (scratches/gouges) and casting imperfections that were never addressed originally - NOT up to my high standards. It'll be a full sand and repaint too.

t5Ebtrk.jpgG43Vwcj.jpgK6bGEmZ.jpg

OdVHIHr.jpg 

The other downside of this new set of armor is there was a LOT of velcro epoxied into it that was very difficult to remove. One upside is that it has not had additional resin added to the interior, so it is significantly lighter than my other chest/yoke. I'll likely add some resin, but NOT as much as the other suit, which will likely get sanded back a bit. I'll actually probably use the new chest/back/shoulders (not the cod/TD) for the TFA that I'm likely to wear more often, and the heavier stuff for TLJ

Another pretty big update is that I have been working with Sheev's Emporium a bit and snagged one of the first of their new full soft good kits (gaskets, neckseal, and rigging) for FOTK's and the stitched ribbing is probably the best I've ever seen. Looks like a very well designed kit and I'll be excited to take delivery this week hopefully (will post an update). I also have shiny shorts coming from @Soulart/Geeky Pink's, and already have Trooperbay gloves and Imperial Boots chukkas in hand, so that should be all my soft goods accounted for.

9Ug2Dtc.jpg

I also snagged a rubber F-11D since I decided to sell the 3D printed one I have instead of trying to sand the myriad of print lines out. The gentleman who cast it was both former Praetorian and Ano...ther company, and apparently there is some controversy as to the ownership of his mold over on Faceballs, soooo that was a whole thing. But it's a solid, good looking rubber blaster and was a fair price, so whatever. I'll get around to painting it up as well and will likely use it as my trooping blaster, but won't try to add electronics to it.

lqBVKhE.jpgcLYH964.jpgdy73Xj5.jpg 

Okay, but where's the actual armor at?!

The armor still has a long way to go, and I've had several minor (that feel like major) setbacks, and much like my ROTK, I can tell that several steps in the process are very linear and need to happen before I can move on to the next. The first and most daunting is adding the additional resin to the new pieces. For many months (freakin' pandemic Etsy hobbyists) resin has been very difficult to come by, and I am FAR from an expert in it, so I was really trying to buy the same stuff I used on my ROTK that worked well, but it has been out of stock (and the can I had went bad... resin has a short shelf life and I should have known that). I finally was able to find what I believe is a comparable product in stock at a reasonable price, so that's up next.

Happening somewhat in parallel has been general paint prep. I started with the new chest and back/yoke, and well, this isn't even as many priming/sanding passes as I've done total, but here's a few shots.

Dx92qwC.jpg

EtsuHgM.jpg 

rIlAgAW.jpg 

SWlbRUV.jpg

I've definitely learned since doing my ROTK and need to be a bit less of a perfectionist, and to "follow the rules" when painting - stuff like to allow for proper dry times, don't try to paint at night or when it's cold/humid, mask and manage for overspray, etc... always lessons being learned the hard way, but it's coming along. 

Another big lesson I learned is that my ROTK... is too shiny. The screen used suits are maybe a semi-gloss at best, but definitely don't have a thick layer of high gloss clear like mine. While it does look great, the time and money I spent to get it that way... really just wasn't worth it. What I DO like about the paint is how hard and scuff resistant it is, which I attribute to the 2K paint. I think for this one, instead of a Rustoleum white base with 2K clear on top, I'm going to try just USC's 2K Gloss White on top of white primer and call it a day. This should in theory be MUCH easier to repaint in the event of damage... which has already happened to my ROTK and now that I have to think about repairing it, I wish I had done differently (live and learn). 

I haven't had major issues with using THIN layers of Dynatron filler (which is similar to Bondo glazing putty) but I was recommended USC Garage's Flexible Glaze, which is a 2 component filler. I'll SAND the old paint, make any structural/deep REPAIRS with Apoxie Sculpt or marine epoxy, then a thin layer of filler/GLAZE on top, then PRIME with light colored filler primer, then white sandable primer moving forward (scratches/chips on the ROTK revealed the dark colored primer, which wasn't ideal), and then TOPCOAT with the 2K gloss white. I'll be doing the inside with satin white, as the flat I used last time tends to scuff and transfer color more. I'll probably be purchasing one of those decent sized paint booths that are like a popup camping tent since I made a huge mess in my garage last time, even after hanging plastic sheets. 

Anyways, I think that's it for now... LONG overdue, but hopefully updates will be coming more frequently now and I'd like to have this thing approved by the end of the year. My brothers in the SoCal Garrison (including @equuspolo, @Surfintrooper, and @yo_its_nino) totally inspired me with this photoshoot over the weekend, and it is too cool not to share! Photo by @KC Grim who may be joining the FO ranks soon as well! LONG LIVE THE FIRST ORDER! :) 

1iSZaal.jpg 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 7

I saw Ardeshirs post with those photos yesterday, man what a beautiful shot that is.

For what it's worth i will be adding it to our anniversary project because i think it;s the best FO TK shot we have seen in many aspects.

Such a crisp photos, that just pop's, I can't express how much I like it.

Now to you, thanks for the epic update.

I have no doubt you will turn that kit into a first class FO TK when finished, also interesting to read of your thoughts and adjustment to your ROTK.

Plenty of work ahead for you, that's for sure, and congrats once again on your wedding. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sly11 said:

I saw Ardeshirs post with those photos yesterday, man what a beautiful shot that is.

For what it's worth i will be adding it to our anniversary project because i think it;s the best FO TK shot we have seen in many aspects.

Such a crisp photos, that just pop's, I can't express how much I like it.

Now to you, thanks for the epic update.

I have no doubt you will turn that kit into a first class FO TK when finished, also interesting to read of your thoughts and adjustment to your ROTK.

Plenty of work ahead for you, that's for sure, and congrats once again on your wedding. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

Truly impressive shot, and those are all actually super nice guys and many are talented builders - great crew and it got me all jazzed to finish mine and join! I've already been in touch with Teresa lately since I'm snagging some shiny shorts and sent it over to her as well haha

Thank you though! I swore I'd never paint a full suit again, but then also... I learned enough and I'm starting in a place where I don't think it'll be as bad and I can be significantly more efficient. Appreciate the kind words!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey all! Not much progress, but some updates!

On the bright side, both of my other side projects have been completed - the Shadowtrooper I was mentoring has been approved and received his TKID this week! And the other suit I was building for a friend is out the door as well, so focus is back on the FOTK and finishing out my various other little projects. Since my last post, soft goods from Sheev's Emporium and Geeky Pinks have been delivered!

9Ug2Dtc.jpgCB7J4IU.jpgNP2W87g.jpghYb2G8s.jpg

I was EXTREMELY impressed with the care and attention that was put into packaging both orders, and with the overall quality of each. They'll obviously, definitely need some additional tailoring, but are in the right ballpark out of the box, and I'm very excited for them. I threw everything on with my TLJ BS helmet real quick for a test run below!

8iNqTFq.jpgYZdjGYK.jpg

I'm supersuper impressed with the stitching on the ribs that Sheev's does - my seamstress literally almost didn't believe that it was sewn and not a pattern until I showed her the backside. The material is also super flexible and pretty breathable - I won't be cool, but it's genuinely not THAT hot. The arms and 'shirt' actually fit pretty spot on (and I LOVE the accurate change in direction on the ribs), but the pants need to be trimmed to bring the knee gaskets up about 2", and I'll be adding stirrups. The shiny shorts fit pretty well, but will also need to be shortened. Neck seal quality is top notch (albeit worn crooked in the pic, my bad) though I may add some velcro to keep the bib held down.

TFfZsEb.jpg

While we're on the topic of new stuff, I did order the shoulder/yoke reinforcement brackets from Tony, and I'm currently trying to figure out if/how I can install them, as I believe they were designed with ABS kits in mind. They still may work for me with a little bending and trimming.

0M1FdfV.jpg1IcEoeO.jpg

Interestingly enough, I pulled the holster off and noticed it is not in fact an R2-Dan and all metal as I thought, but a metal faceplate on a resin block. Still nice with the metal screws and all, just needs a repaint and I may use it until I can snag one of Dan's. 

dtCuexi.jpg

Finally, I did end up selling the 3D printed F-11D from my original post to a garrison mate... I honestly just didn't want to sand it that much. I happened across a great deal for the above blaster and am pretty hyped on it. Metal accents really make a statement!

CeInUZv.jpgK8ea6mR.jpg

And just some closing thoughts from @Dsposato0 and I - hit the bar, hang with friends, just make time to have some fun too, like we did at the Funko Pop Hollywood flagship store recently!

Cleaning up the workshop over the Thanksgiving holiday here in the States, but I should have more to post once I get back into the bodywork on the suit! 

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Okay okay, I'm overdue for an update, and even then I don't have TOO much for you... but quite a few photos I might as well share!

A big part of why things are moving slow is that I keep chasing small cracks in the armor. Just in general, kind of all over. I'm doing my very best to address any that are large or in highly noticeable areas like these on the chest plate (which is now otherwise veryvery smooth) but I think I'm just going to have to accept them. They're almost entirely superficial, as they are only in the very top layer of the gel coat/resin and the piece is structurally sound... or it could be the primer that was used before I got the armor. I try not to ever sand down to the fiberglass directly, as it opens up tiny pinholes/air bubbles, so there is mystery primer under there from the previous paint job that may be cracking.

If I were to start over completely, I would just do like a red scotch bright scuff with soapy water on the raw parts as received from Jim, then hit them with a decently thick couple coats of a flexible primer, flexible filler where needed, then a white primer, a white 2K gloss topcoat, and done. Most parts honestly don't ever need to be sanded above 200 either, maybe just the chest and back for maximum shine. Doing my best to balance between my desire for a perfect finish and actually getting this done. If anyone has suggestions for how to best address these type of cracks, I'm all ears!

NBaPE2y.jpg

Despite those issues in general, I'm plugging along and a little over half of the parts (ignore those R1TK thighs) are in the final stages of white primer and nearly ready for final 2K topcoat. Once I have enough little pieces, I'll crack one of the ($30!) cans of 2K gloss white and spray them to test, before committing to the rest of the whole suit. Can't decide if I'll do it in my garage again (huge mess, lots of prep), in the yard (risk of bugs/dust), or maybe I'll buy one of those little popup painting tents. Decisions, decisions...

431bIkA.jpg

You'll also notice in the background there that I've taken to wearing a full on moon suit while working on this thing... especially for stuff like this next bit. I always wear a respirator and gloves, but was getting sanding dust and fiberglass all over my arms and clothes. The suit helps significantly, but without being too hot since it's cloth in the back. I was also getting all kinds of bumps and ingrown hairs on my forearms - likely from the dust/paint mist blocking pores. Anyways, would recommend. 

Was this next bit a good idea? I don't know. Did I try anyways? Yup.

I wanted to add the shoulder bell support tabs to my back yoke, and figured modifying a set of Tony's aluminum tabs might work... still yet to be seen, but I'm optimistic. I started by marking both sides as symmetrically as I could, then drilling some holes through the side. 

HkByEMH.jpg

Then I got out the rotary tool and a grinding bit and just went to town.

uTiTB6s.jpg

I smoothed the oval holes out some with an emery board (such an underrated shop tool - go buy a variety pack, trust me) and bent the brackets little by little until the tab would poke through and the bracket would sit pretty flush inside the yoke.

WIAdk8m.jpg

I did need to grind off the little upright sections on the corners of the bracket, and grind a bit of the fiberglass out, as it just barely sits in there. I want to do a little bit more tinkering and planning as to how I want to actually glue these in (thinking just a medium coat of 2-ton epoxy on the glass and bracket, then a piece of aluminum foil on top, and then clamp it with slide clamps overnight. It makes me nervous so I haven't committed yet, but I made some progress. I don't think I'm going to run the shoulder bell connecting straps THROUGH the yoke though - probably not worth messing with more holes.

rhADLer.jpgOHY3TRc.jpg

Anyways, it'll look something like that when done!

KFIOFWQ.jpg

Okay, moving on to more metal bits, and also some serious accuracy updates - including this metal holster from @R2Dan!

bMgWqb0.jpg

So, loooooooong story short, I find myself with a bunch of FOTK bits from various makers and of various quality levels and thought I would just share a comparison of some of the stuff that's floating around out there.

The stuff on the far left is what I received along with the original armor I bought off of @Dynamic1 , that he got from Jim a while back. The clips aren't the worst, but aren't accurate, and the holster top plate is metal but body is one piece of resin. It at least had the more accurate hardware.

The middle holster/clip is from (what was billed as) a 'complete FOTK' kit by a Garrison mate but honestly ended up being more of an Anovos/KB spare parts bin (and I'll likely be parting it out for sale later). The holster is 4 metal layers, but is slightly undersized, too thin (maybe with a resin block) and had incorrect hardware. It also came with the middle clips, which were pretty inaccurate, but at least were a high quality resin print and I liked that they were curved. 

And on the right is the R2Dan holster I recently got from @Harbinger. To my knowledge, it is the most accurate and high quality available, and you can see the difference from the other two when compared. It also came with a bag of all of the accurate hardware, including the bearing. It is 3 metal layers and included an angled resin block and the metal bracket to add to the side of my F-11D (more on that below). Pretty stoked on it, and it is what I'll be using. You'll also notice the significantly more accurate V1 of the FOTK greeblie clip that I've been working with @MrPoopie to model and very likely provide to the community. 

ScIylCI.jpg

E2VHim0.jpg

Here is a comparison of the 3 different clips:

LwWd7n7.jpg?1

A comparison of our V1 (bottom) to a screen used TFA clip (top):

fzJdlKM.jpg

And a preview of the V2 with a few additional updates pending as well before a final test print:

UiuN6RJ.png?1

I've got a whole thread over here if this type of thing interests you, but the point is that I'm shooting for maximum accuracy in as many little details as possible! I couldn't find an accurate clip that was available and easily accessible... so I'm doing my best to help make one!

Okay, moving on to soft goods - we do have some problems to address there. The pants are RATHER snug, which isn't a problem since the shiny shorts on top should be too, but the center of the knee gaskets (and snap for attaching the knee armor) ended up sitting about 2" below my actual knee cap (that I'm pointing at). Especially when I add the stirrups (visible on the other leg) to help keep them tucked into my boots, it looks like the gaskets will need to be cut and reattached higher up with 2" cut off the pant leg. Not the end of the world, but I'm going to let my tailor sort it out when they're taking the suit in at a couple other areas too. 

kFx1ASU.jpggEpKywM.jpg

I'm going to continue to invest the time and money to have these tailored to fit perfect, since I believe they'll be my most comfortable option when dialed in... but I'm also strongly considering picking up a set of gaskets from Eadu Armory to try out as well - at their current price point, it might be worth it, and @equuspolo spoke very highly of his. And I daresay that guy knows a thing or two about FOTKs at this point :P  

Pxku4Gt.jpg

I also grabbed a new set of Jimmiroquai-specific decals from @TrooperBay while I was at it, and I'm going to try some of this self-adhesive white felt to pad some areas that will potentially rub, instead of the EVA foam I tried with the ROTK with mixed results.

h4kHNP7.jpg?1

Another little goodie that came in that spare parts pin was this decent 3D-printed SE-44C. It needs better hardware, some sanding, a respray, and its muzzle repaired, but I think it's salvageable and will look plenty good holstered.

G7DbGD1.jpg

Speaking of blasters, figured I'd share some additional pics of my newer one. I do love metal bits. Is it Centurion approvable? Nope, and I don't plan or have the ability to add lights to it. But is it sturdy and will it look darn good for trooping? Oh yea. We'll deal with Centurion if we decide to go there.

3KOGvIw.jpgdE0Zg9m.jpg

BlRXxDD.jpgwUq83vU.jpg

KG1o7pf.jpgsB3x5gA.jpgrnWQpIp.jpg

I think that's all I have for now as far as FOTK updates! But what else have I been up to, you ask...?

I did almost completely finish the SE-14R I've been working on for MONTHS, and am generally pretty pleased with it! Just a couple finishing touches left.

PdbeGq9.jpg

I also helped a friend Charles build an entire shadowtrooper kit (my 2nd) and join the club if I haven't shared! We'll probably get him over here in white armor at some point too... 

yN1E6IN.jpg

I also built myself a new PC recently (I've got C2-B5 in there in case anything breaks...) and when it lights up, the " O II " in black and white from the liquid cooling pump and RAM looks oddly familiar, but I can't quite place it...

SWrvGCR.jpgRsN0jYT.jpg

And finally, another reminder to myself and everyone else to not stress about your armor projects and to get out and have some fun when you can! I was fortunate enough to make it out to Batuu (West) over the weekend with several of my Legion/FISD brothers for the first time in two years (after getting my booster recently and as COVID numbers finally start to decline) and I snagged this nice little shot as the sun was going down. Stay safe out there everyone and I'll have more updates in the future!

jOinYtB.jpg

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3