Most accurate, Centurion level, 3D print file(s)?

ImperialWalker

Hey Everyone,

I recently picked up a 3D printer and after a few weeks of getting it dialled in, I think it might be time to start a large print. As I have wanted a Stormtrooper helmet since I was about 5 years old, I think it is the perfect project. 

The problem is... even after reading many posts here and researching online, I am having a very difficult time finding a helmet (and armour) model that is Centurion accurate to start. There are some out there that are just wrong and I'm not even going to attempt to build one of them. 

Can anyone recommend a file that, with the correct finishing will be approved at the highest level?

Thanks!!

Nico Henderson (active on FB) has the most screen-accurate Stormtrooper helmet (only) files, but it is of the Rogue One variant, which is very different than the OT TKs. I’ve seen perhaps one or two attempts at finishing one of the several OT models out there, but I don’t recall their Legion approval status. Vacu-formed is generally the way to go for the OT since they most resemble the screen-used props.

I’m sure there are others who are more well versed in the 3D world than I who may be able to provide their input. They’ll likely be along here shortly. =)

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

• Like 1

If we are talking about OTTK I don't recall seeing anyone with a 3D printed suit so definitely none at centurion level. I have seen a FOTK which was 3D printed and approved, I don't think they sought higher approval, these weren't files for the public to buy the suit was purchased already printed.

I will just mention that in an ABS plastic costume you can move around quite a bit and some pieces will bend but they do relax back to their natural shape but with 3D prints you may find areas will crack. 

Just look at Han's chest ;) 

DiYCuN1.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Nico Henderson (active on FB) has the most screen-accurate Stormtrooper helmet (only) files, but it is of the Rogue One variant, which is very different than the OT TKs. I’ve seen perhaps one or two attempts at finishing one of the several OT models out there, but I don’t recall their Legion approval status. Vacu-formed is generally the way to go for the OT since they most resemble the screen-used props.

I’m sure there are others who are more well versed in the 3D world than I who may be able to provide their input. They’ll likely be along here shortly. =)

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

Thank you, I found his Etsy shop.

I have not been able to find anyone with an OT file for the Stormtrooper that even comes close to accurate. I suspect for many it might be difficult considering the asymmetry of the helmet and such. I have wanted to get a traditional Vac formed armour for years and years, but being in Canada I am finding them to be a bit difficult to get (with a lot of lead time). 

In the meantime as more of a fun project I would like to try my hand at the 3D printed world. I've seen a few helmets finished and done right they can look really good... but, like all things if the original sculpt is wrong, no amount of sanding is going to make it right.

17 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

If we are talking about OTTK I don't recall seeing anyone with a 3D printed suit so definitely none at centurion level. I have seen a FOTK which was 3D printed and approved, I don't think they sought higher approval, these weren't files for the public to buy the suit was purchased already printed.

I will just mention that in an ABS plastic costume you can move around quite a bit and some pieces will bend but they do relax back to their natural shape but with 3D prints you may find areas will crack. 

Just look at Han's chest ;) 

Right now, my main goal is to see if a helmet can be printed, finished and accepted as Centurion quality. In the future, I may consider printing armour to my size and creating ABS vacuum formed variants, but for now the helmet. I've been looking at traditional armour for years, but the few that are recommended come at a hefty cost as a Canadian.

I can't even find a helmet that is at the Centurion level. I've done so much research I can spot an inaccurate lid a mile away, and there is simply none online that I can find that even begin to look accurate.