Saltyr1's First ATA ANH Build thread

saltyr1

3 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

Here is a couple more pics of how I have it (its not glued yet).  I tried to follow the line as best I could, but I think how the ATA sniper plate is makes it impossible to be perfect (see the last two pics).  I've looked at other ATA builds and seems similar.  Any thoughts?

iPExehA.jpg

dcFjw3M.jpg

Following the upper ridge perfectly:

GJshga2.jpg

ARxJzao.jpg

Imo the first alignment looks better but ,

@justjoseph63 and @Chemi could chime in please.  

I think what you have now with the ridges aligned is fine and dandy, Chris!  Even thought the top of the sniper plate is not perfectly horizontal to the calf, to me that's good to go.  I'd rather see a gap at the bottom of the sniper plate than see ridges that are way out of whack.

My main concern are those magnets that are holding the sniper knee plate in place.  Please remove them before you submit your photos, or your knees will resemble Pippi Longstockings.  :laugh1:

en9kzry.jpg  A60DvIf.jpg

Great job on this, by the way!  :salute:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, justjoseph63 said:

My main concern are those magnets that are holding the sniper knee plate in place.  Please remove them before you submit your photos, or your knees will resemble Pippi Longstockings.  :laugh1:

:laugh1:  Thanks 

38 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

Here is a couple more pics of how I have it (its not glued yet).  I tried to follow the line as best I could, but I think how the ATA sniper plate is makes it impossible to be perfect (see the last two pics).  I've looked at other ATA builds and seems similar.  Any thoughts?

iPExehA.jpg

dcFjw3M.jpg

Following the upper ridge perfectly:

GJshga2.jpg

ARxJzao.jpg

As a reference here's my ATA sniper plate, a little heat and some tape to pull backwards to keep tight while the glue is drying, I also leave any areas under strain for 72 hours to fully dry 

gtzqYsM.jpg

9alNVO1.png

46blImk.png

• Like 1

hace 12 minutos, justjoseph63 dijo:

en9kzry.jpg  A60DvIf.jpg

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

en9kzry.jpg  A60DvIf.jpg

Great job on this, by the way!  :salute:

Those were only temporary.  I've relocated them to their permanent position.

C2Kx0RZ.jpg

What also wasn't helping was I left too much return edge on the front top of the shin since I figured it would be hidden by the sniper plate.  I'll be removing most of that.  Using tape to pull it back help a little too.

JOCVZY9.jpg

2lUBC3F.jpg

r2cemPR.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my progress from the last week.  Finished the rear cover strip on the left thigh.

cleyB5V.jpg

Both the front and back covers strips on the right thigh.

WR30axx.jpg

eHYJrsm.jpg

My attempt making a garter belt to support the thighs.  Using the nylon strapping I already had, I made the belt and attached a snap buckle I picked up from a local store.  I bought black suspenders (the back side of the Y is black) and de-threaded the back 'connection' and sewed it directly to the belt.  Thought here is I can use the suspender adjustment to raise and lower the belt / thighs.

zzuocOv.jpg

I have use the boiling water technique to bring the left shin closer closer together before I add rear cover strip and the Industrial Strength Velco.  The right shin still has a ways to go.

BG5UmUz.jpg

Question - Is this close enough for it to stay closed?

Pcrq5dx.jpg

4 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

The right shin still has a ways to go.

Question - Is this close enough for it to stay closed?

If memory serves me right, what I did was tape the two calves together in the back, and set them in a dish bin in which I had poured boiling water. Took less than 30 seconds for them to lock into their new form. If it were me, I'd want to two sides to butt-joint right up against each other in order to minimize any tension on whatever closure system you implement.

Once warm pull over tight further than you need it to be then tape and hold until it cools, the plastic will relax a bit once you release. I also found I had to bend just past were the velcro would be to get it to lay flat when closed.

Keep up the great work 

Thanks Caleb and Glen.  Back to the hot water for the shins!

In the meantime, I mocked up the ammo belt on the thigh.  I will admit I started with the middle box being centered with the cover strip.  But after continued research, I found that is not accurate (Thigh Ammo Pack Positioning by CableGuy).  So this is where I ended up with my mockup.  Let me know if any concerns here before I start making holes.

jFof82L.jpg

vFHR9Y4.jpg

56 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

In the meantime, I mocked up the ammo belt on the thigh.  I will admit I started with the middle box being centered with the cover strip.  But after continued research, I found that is not accurate (Thigh Ammo Pack Positioning by CableGuy).  So this is where I ended up with my mockup.  Let me know if any concerns here before I start making holes.

looking good Chris, additionally, I would suggest to trim a little more the edges to match better the corners. and consider carefully the rivets positioning and the not perfect curved ends  as well.

noulEwe.jpg         yqYWx0K.jpg

Some references

qCTzKbR.jpg    AiKuFuV.jpg?1   trkmLtl.jpg?1

• Like 1

Thanks Mario!  Definitely need to trim the ends still and the 'not perfect' curved ends.  Anything special that I need to pay attention to on the rivet positioning?  Seems they are not equal distance from the top and back. 

3 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

Thanks Mario!  Definitely need to trim the ends still and the 'not perfect' curved ends.  Anything special that I need to pay attention to on the rivet positioning?  Seems they are not equal distance from the top and back. 

Exactly they aren't centered , far from back, near to top. 

UvyA9dL.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

Taping the shins and dipping them in boiling water worked like a charm!

Jp2fxA1.jpg

97f039dd3bd8a49a6feb44fd0fc07c0c17d7e42a

Well done

I'm close!  Thigh ammo belt complete (pic below doesn't have them painted yet, but they are), hopefully the split rivet is spaced correctly and the not perfectly rounded curves.

d1MIUGE.jpg

ewXMCW5.jpg

I finished up the shins including the velcro.  I forgot to get pics of that.

bOKwbmZ.jpg

Then I just had to put it all together real quick.  Couple little things to do.  But I think I'm almost ready!  

ByK85MN.jpg

Odw9vBQ.jpg

I need to work on adding foam in some places so I don't sound like a bunch of empty plastic bottles rattling around (I added it to the forearm already).  I also want to add J hooks to the insides of the biceps.  I need to do something to keep the shins from moving around...

2 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

I need to do something to keep the shins from moving around...

This is a common issue, in my case what worked for me was to put a piece of velcro into the shin and in front side of the boot to keep the aligment.

kfYZkqu.jpg?1

ZVNp6QU.jpg

• Like 1

I have a loop of elastic in the top of the belt loop an have snaps attached and also glued behind the shins, I find the elastic better as it allows some give when bending ;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past couple weeks I've been working on the little things in an attempt to make the approval process as smooth as possible.  A lot of switching strapping out to see how shorter / longer fits.  I spent a lot of time on the back plate trying to flatten out the bottom to stop it from popping out over the kidney plate.  But I also started making my own hybrid adjustable / duct tape mannequin using 1 1/4" PVC and these connectors I 3D printed:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761249

bP1hwG3.jpg

OvDZEPR.jpg

Still a work in progress, but it's coming along.

Very nice, with the one I made I added screws and slotted sections to the connectors so you could rotate but then lock them in place.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Very nice, with the one I made I added screws and slotted sections to the connectors so you could rotate but then lock them in place.

I had to make 'set screws' so the limbs would stay put.  I have slits in the back of the mannequin so I can get to the bolts.

• Like 1