Saltyr1's First ATA ANH Build thread

saltyr1

18 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

More progress!  I finished up the TD and I'm happy with the results.

Iwskbw3.jpg

XEeVteW.jpg

Then back to the helmet.  I originally had no intention of painting the inside of the helmet black.  But it really grew on me seeing pics of others done this way.  So I decided to do it.  And again, happy with the results.  I used the garbage bag method and lots of tape around the eyes and teeth.  I used a white primer first, followed by black truck bed coating.  Then let it set for 4 days.  I used Gorilla double sided tape for the frown mesh I bought from TrooperBay.

TgbrFfk.jpg

LRXwqjx.jpg

xRhBxdJ.jpg

Before putting it back together, I took the opportunity to add the tube stipe decals.  I feel like the helmet is almost there!

KOi8aqa.jpg

So next step is to paint the ears...

Inside of your bucket is fresh. Good job.

I think I may have finished the helmet! (unless someone sees something I need to correct).  Here are some pics below.

I tried some padding off of Amazon, but none of it worked well.  So I ended up making my own which did work.

oYdRAMD.jpg

LfL1Ni4.jpg

ZNSgheb.jpg

CMGNAZK.jpg

TfUtE1K.jpg

And of course on my head.

GrpKgxH.jpg

Next step I think will be to start on the torso.  One of the parts I still need to order is the belt.  So getting that squared away would allow me to get an accurate measurement for that order.

Again, thanks for everyone's input!  It is always appreciated!

• Like 4

I bought the screen accurate gloves and flexible hand guards from TrooperBay.  I glued the hand guards onto the gloves.  I also have a pair of nomex gloves that will go with the ATA hand guards.  That obviously still to be done.

95Q9bqY.jpg

I also sorted and labelled all the legs and arm parts.  Thanks MV for the great references!  Your post really helped me sort out the left vs the rights!

B808SZf.jpg

(wife may not be happy that I've taken over the dining room table again)

Edited by saltyr1

I go the red line, I like a little bit of curve there.

References, you can see there is some return/curve there

gallery_12157_59_111428.jpggallery_12157_59_8886.jpg

gallery_12157_16_28275.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 5:13 AM, saltyr1 said:

ZNSgheb.jpg

CMGNAZK.jpg

Just on the helmet your ears are a little large, you could trim them a little more if you wanted too but doubt it would be required for basic approval.

Also appears your left side is slightly higher than the right side, notice you have some curved area of backplate between the ears and brow trim, you could lift this side to cover some of this if you wanted too.

LfL1Ni4.thumb.jpg.1e828ca505b483820867a0a3d37dce01.jpgZNSgheb.thumb.jpg.590d1d6db7da341b9502e8b87aaaef4b.jpgDaveMANH08.jpg.3c18c168d9857b2e1b11eb03b9cc9a33.jpg

Great work though and as I say these are not requirements only suggestions ;) 

Or why wait?  I spent a good part of the day trimming the ears again.  I think they both look a lot better.  For the left side (looking at) I really trimmed it done.  For the right side, I moved it up as far as I could and trimmed it down.  I'm really glad I didn't have to break out the second set of ears.

Dzb1NZE.jpg

HJCogWr.jpg

FV5QMOQ.jpg

YdNk0YS.jpg

YOP57YX.jpg

a06XAPz.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  I have been working on trimming the torso pieces.  As I think others have mentioned with the ATA kit, I'm kind of stuck with the return edges (or less) that are pre-defined.  Not a big deal, but... Here is an example of the back part: 

dv5MViv.jpg

And the cod piece:

7bNSNBL.jpg

The butt and kidney plate are interesting as I have to trim with very little return edge or they 'bubble' out and don't sit flush:

Butt piece:

NRWqObT.jpg

Kidney plate:

XA0hp7U.jpg

So I'm assuming I will be cutting where the red line is.  Now the top of the kidney plate is not bubbled out.  Should I cut it the same as the bottom?  Or is there benefit in leaving more there?

45 minutes ago, saltyr1 said:

So I'm assuming I will be cutting where the red line is.  Now the top of the kidney plate is not bubbled out.  Should I cut it the same as the bottom?  Or is there benefit in leaving more there?

Hi Chris, You should cut the same.

I strongly suggest you to take a look to this post. It could be  so useful in this stage of your build.  

:salute:

• Like 1

Also when in doubt head to the Gallery Sections, some great screen references with lots of detail images can be found, you'll notice a lot of return edges were minimal.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!  I took a few weeks off from the build and worked on some other spring projects.  But I have been working on the torso and I think I've made good progress.  So here is what I have completed over the last month or so.

The ab buttons cut and painted.  I tried the TrooperBay stencils, but they just didn't work with these buttons.  I ended up using the stencils to trace out the circle and just hand painted them.

jEgQAzv.jpg

Here they are glued on.

KYOHDaE.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good so far, you do have quite a bit of space between your cod and body which also pushes your chest out so it ends up on an angle, you may want to try to overlap the sides and tape up again and just to see if it improves the look.

Q1b2Cti.thumb.jpg.f8f6539c8b44b0f9f62a771070a7ea9e.jpg 

Here's just a quick compare with a random EIB applicant

IgvDv98.jpg

• Like 2