Filling the sidegaps

cr4nky

cranky said:

Right, I really need some feedback and opinions on this before I go ahead and cut.

I've filled the sides with white ABS, but here's the issue; the kidneyplate is shorter than the sides of the ab plate.

So, do I cut it like this:

Or like this:

I decided to just do this:

Think it turned out kinda nice, if I ask myself!

im fixin to fill mine in in much the same way as i seperated the cod and butt plate. i was wondering the same thing, do i cut it like in the pic? angled from the top front to the back top?

Scott

I just finished my side gaps over the weekend. I used the ABS that came with my FX suit, was enough here as I made a canvas belt. Question, I used velcro on the ABS to keep it in place, is that okay? I've noticed that some use rivets, but some have not. I guess I could just place the rivets on the abs/kidney pieces for show?

As for the snug fit when the gaps are filled, makes it fit like a glove. I used the back support method to attach the abs and kidney plate, the side gaps give that extra 'not going anywhere' feel.

I'll be submitting photos soon enough of my own build for everyones appraisal. Just have a few more things to do (paint abs buttons, finish MRCE helmet liner and CO canister).

Cheers.

DD.

When filling in the side gaps, think about what order you are going to be putting on your completed armor. I glued both sides at first to keep it all tight and neat. BUT I decided to put my legs on first when suiting up secured via a belt as I had trouble bending over to put the legs/boots on with ab and back on. With the legs on first method which I found is the easiest way of doing it, I couldnt get my armored legs through the glued together ab and back section so had to cut again and now I have the back edge glued and the front poppered.

Just a thought B)

I just finished my side gaps over the weekend. I used the ABS that came with my FX suit, was enough here as I made a canvas belt. Question, I used velcro on the ABS to keep it in place, is that okay? I've noticed that some use rivets, but some have not. I guess I could just place the rivets on the abs/kidney pieces for show?

As for the snug fit when the gaps are filled, makes it fit like a glove. I used the back support method to attach the abs and kidney plate, the side gaps give that extra 'not going anywhere' feel.

I'll be submitting photos soon enough of my own build for everyones appraisal. Just have a few more things to do (paint abs buttons, finish MRCE helmet liner and CO canister).

Cheers.

DD.

I used velcro on the kidney plate on both sides. Works great!

• 1 month later...

I know this is kind of an not so old thread, but i found something that might be good for the sidegaps and other parts?. just an idea (i bought one today to try) , it is a large drip pan i found in the bath area at home depot $19.99. (white semi glossy?, not glossy like fx armor, i little bit thinner but thicker than a sale sign) but it could do the trick instead of using sale signs and trash cans. here is pic of it. if it is any good, i will let everyone know. if this idea has been taken, sorry to post, as i haven't seen this idea around.

post-4029-1228180054_thumb.jpg

I found white rubber sheets at a hardware in Seattle. I added velcro to it and use that for my side gaps. Its great because it is so flexible. I originally used some vinyl but that quickly cracked and broke.

• 3 months later...
cranky said:

I need to fill in mine as well (since apparently I need to be a size 20 waist to fit this thing as it comes). My question is will this be acceptable for elite status? The way the requirement is worded I get the impression you should only have one visible seam, where the two plates meet. Doing it this way (or any other way I've seen) shows 2 seams on each side.

Verdict?

One visible seam is preferred, but not required. If this were clones we could mandate one seam as they're all painted anyway, but we felt that was too unrealistic a goal for TK's.

• 3 weeks later...