Filling the sidegaps

cr4nky

As I've stated in my buildthread earlier, I'm having problems finding sheets of ABS over here to fill in the sidegap. So I was just wondering if plain, white leather can be used?

This is the last of two things I'm missing to get my TK-number and Elite status as far as I know:)

(If anyone is sitting on an accurate holster that fits the Hasbro, please PM me, the FX one isn't good for anything but wastebasket-filler).

Yeah, but the ones they have are small and thick. I've considered ordering and trying them (but at the prices over here, it's expensive to screw up).

Side gaps must be closed.
  • IDEAL: The ab and kidney plates touch.
  • PREFERRED: A shim can be used to bridge the gap. Ideally shims will be added in a seamless fashion to the ab/kidney plates to emulate these parts of the armor meet in the middle.
  • ALLOWED: Currently the use of a non-plastic shim is allowed to fill the gap. This is the least preferred method and may be dis-allowed in the future.Ideally the ab plate and kidney plates should touch, though at this time the use of a spacer or shim is permissable.

Yeah, I know, read it. :) Just forgot, but what the hell. I just phoned in an order on some abs sheets now, hopefully they will work. I'm not really a patient human being:-)

I'll have them in place this weekend, stay tuned.

(Still need a holster though;-)

Sounds stupid...

BUT

Trash Cans. Pick up a cheepie and hack it up. Look for a smooth one at a home store. Kitchen ones work great. :D

If you do this, try to find a paint that matches at least ;-)

Oh yeah. Can't be walking around looking like a patched rug!

Oh, and just a quick question:

Is it ok with white elastic between the chest and back? Or do I need to change it to black? Same with the elastic running behind the biceps for that matter.

Thanks for all the tips!

I solved the holster problem, at least for a while. Just surfed on and found an old thread, where someone in here mentioned that he inverted the mirrored FX-holster.

I did, and ...TADA!!! Holster the right way to fit on the left side! Just need to put some stitches through it and we´re good to go:)

Trash Cans. Pick up a cheepie and hack it up. Look for a smooth one at a home store. Kitchen ones work great. :D

WOW, you're a genius! I had been calling around town to try to find more ABS to shim my armor. Most places here don't stock the 0.060" stuff. They'd have to order it. One place here does have a table of plastic scraps priced by the pound, but no good ABS.

Anyway, I already have the perfect can. It's white, 14" X 9" I can split it in half, and trim it down from there. Either that, or paint it like R2-D2.

tc.jpg

I'm going to shim the sidegap with some spare ABS from the kit.

I'm thinking of doing it like this:

Cut a strip of ABS and glue it to the inside of the side of the armour with half inside, and half on the outside.

Then glue the shimming plate on the half of the ABS strip sticking out of the armour.

This, in theory, makes the shimming plate align perfectly with the chest armour.

According to the Elite standards:

"PREFERRED: A shim can be used to bridge the gap. Ideally shims will be added in a seamless fashion to the ab/kidney plates to emulate these parts of the armor meet in the middle."

By doing this on both the chest and the back, I will have plate that meets in the middle.

Does this sound good at all?

WOW, you're a genius! I had been calling around town to try to find more ABS to shim my armor. Most places here don't stock the 0.060" stuff. They'd have to order it. One place here does have a table of plastic scraps priced by the pound, but no good ABS.

Anyway, I already have the perfect can. It's white, 14" X 9" I can split it in half, and trim it down from there. Either that, or paint it like R2-D2.

tc.jpg

Bingo. Thats the ticket!

I'm going to shim the sidegap with some spare ABS from the kit.

I'm thinking of doing it like this:

Cut a strip of ABS and glue it to the inside of the side of the armour with half inside, and half on the outside.

Then glue the shimming plate on the half of the ABS strip sticking out of the armour.

This, in theory, makes the shimming plate align perfectly with the chest armour.

According to the Elite standards:

"PREFERRED: A shim can be used to bridge the gap. Ideally shims will be added in a seamless fashion to the ab/kidney plates to emulate these parts of the armor meet in the middle."

By doing this on both the chest and the back, I will have plate that meets in the middle.

Does this sound good at all?

That's essentially how I did it, except I didn't glue a shimming plate on the half of the strip sticking out. I might do that tonight, just to see if it gives me a cleaner look. :)

The shop you mentioned when I asked for modelling irons have ABS plates in two sizes: 1,5X200X600mm and 2X200X600mm. Wouldn't they work?

I know. But I wanted 1mm, which they don´t show having on the web. But after a quick call things changed. So I have two sheets of 1mm arriving in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully the color matches!!

Right, I really need some feedback and opinions on this before I go ahead and cut.

I've filled the sides with white ABS, but here's the issue; the kidneyplate is shorter than the sides of the ab plate.

So, do I cut it like this:

2RGNiGO.jpg

Or like this:

qylO7wM.jpg

I decided to just do this:

Q94hqVU.jpg

Think it turned out kinda nice, if I ask myself!

looking nice,

just to confirm

this mod must be carried out before 'clearance?'...is this right?

Thanks!

As missingpieces said, this is just necessary for elite-status, but on a sidenote, it makes the armor sit really well. Sits a bit tighter than without, so I´d do the mod no matter what. :)