Prebuilt helmet

Hi Trooper,

Many makers will offer built helmets as an option. Not sure on ATA, but RWA, RS, AM I believe all offer built helmets.

Having said that, we all started somewhere so I’d be tempted just to give it a go. Check out some good build guides of videos and see how you find the process. If you start and it seems above your DIY skill set, that’s no worries. But, you might find it’s easier than you think. :-)

RS do a nice pre built helmet BUT one thing to be wary about is the color when mixing armor and helmets from different makers, RS is quite cream compared to ATA.

There are some great build threads and info out there, take a look and you may see it's not so daunting ;) 

• Like 1

Hi Dylan. I bought an ATA kit many moons ago with hopes to use it at a practice build. I worried about messing it up so I never put it together until this year. I bought a pre-assembled RS helmet to help me at the time as a reference. It seemed the longer I prolonged doing it I started to doubt I could do it well. Instead of waiting,  I say go for it and build the ATA kit, take your time with trimming and setting up the 2 halves to place the holes and of course the ears, go real slow and steady. Its a fun helmet to build and think you can do it. I did make a few mistakes here and there but nothing I could not hide or fix. 

But if you still feel like you want a pre-built helmet all of the makers recommended above are great. The RS helmet has all the original bumps and oddities. When I first got it and compared it to my ATA kit , I was bit surprised how much thinner the plastic was. Its nice to have the 2 to compare. 

Side note: My ATA helmet is smaller in size than my RS helmet. Not sure if this is common or a result of the bucks used by ATA shrinking over time when vacuum forming. But the fit for the ATA is a tighter on my head. Side by side you can see the size difference too.

Edited by Bulldog44

Really interesting post. I recently bought a new 2020 ATA helmet kit to match my full ATA kit from 2017. (The idea being to have both an ESB and ANH version of my TK). Built the new helmet kit ... very happy with it, love the quality and thickness of the ATA gear. But! After patting myself on the back and putting the new helmet next to the older kit. The ABS is clearly a different stock and the shade is different. 2017 plastic has a hint of cream / egg shell to it, and the newer stock is a clean ‘appliance’ kind of white. I really don’t want to paint either kit, so yeah got a new display helmet I guess. Maybe the newer helmet might ‘antique’ with exposure to sunlight or something. Anyway, I guess my point is it’s hard to get a great match even with the same maker.