Hello from Cleveland!

saltyr1

Hello everyone,

I am Chris from Cleveland, Ohio.  I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I was a young kid when the first movie was released.  Ever since then, I’ve always wanted to have a Stormtrooper outfit (I’ve looked for kits over the years).  During these Covid times, I have a little more time on my hands to actually make it happen.  Over the summer I 3D printed an ANH helmet and was pretty happy with the end result.  That wasn’t enough.  But it was enough to make me pull the trigger on an ATA TK kit which has been sitting for about a month in my basement.  I’ve been reading a lot on this amazing forum, and honestly it’s a lot to take in.  Every time I think about starting it, I feel like I haven’t researched enough.  With that said, my goal is for Centurion level, else there will always be regret.  I do hope to get started on it this week!

• Like 3

Hello and welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing your build thread, remember measure twice and cut once, you can always ask questions, many are ready in the wings to help.

Some links you may find useful

And the galleries 

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Welcome to FISD, Chris! You’re in the right place to bring your Stormtrooper dream to reality! I, too, have been working on an ATA kit, in case you’d like to follow my build. I’ve also put together a master compilation of resources which you might helpful, and on the back end of my post (linked below) I include a list of many other ATA builds which might also be useful.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

EDIT: Here’s a link to my build thread so I can have provided you with something useful, since Glen beat me to the previous URL. Haha.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/48337-mvs-anh-tk-stunt-ata-1st-build-thread-for-centurion/

I look forward to following along with you on your journey!

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes.  I'm hoping to start my build thread this weekend.  Most likely starting with the helmet.  I do have a question on the 'Dave M' stickers.  These look easier to use than trying to paint the detail (which I'm not very good at without masking or a stencil).  But I'm not sure if there is a down side like with the stickers wrinkling where the helmet curves.  Does anyone have any suggestions one way or the other?

Hi Chris.

this iamge may help you.

for ANH Higher levels the crl states :  Fall of tube stripe tops ideally lean toward the front. and Ideally, the tube stripes are positioned approximately a pencil width from the side of the cheek.

JCQizgn.jpg

:salute:

Welcome Chris!  Always great to see another lifelong SW fan.  I still remember the awe as a youngling, seeing those Stormtroopers emerge from the smoke in A New Hope. :Stormtrooper_walk_south:  I'm also a newbie builder currently working on ATA armor.  The amount of info in this forum can indeed be a ton to take in, but it truly is invaluable.  Research, research, research....THIS IS THE WAY.  ;)

Regarding the helmet paint vs. decals, I too was apprehensive about hand painting.  Ended up getting both Dave M decals and stencils from TrooperBay due to being indecisive.  Reached that fork in the road last week and decided to go the hand paint route (still a WIP) as I figured it'd be a bigger sense of accomplishment if I can pull it off.  Again, I'm a newbie, so take it for what it's worth, but I haven't read about anyone having issues with decals if you decide to go that route.  And I'm fairly certain the "hand painted look" decals are approvable at higher levels. 

Good luck with your build!

5 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcomes.  I'm hoping to start my build thread this weekend.  Most likely starting with the helmet.  I do have a question on the 'Dave M' stickers.  These look easier to use than trying to paint the detail (which I'm not very good at without masking or a stencil).  But I'm not sure if there is a down side like with the stickers wrinkling where the helmet curves.  Does anyone have any suggestions one way or the other?

They can be a little difficult to stick in some areas, it's easy enough to pull back a problem area and re-apply, if you use a little force too it can help on problem areas. Using a pin can help for any air bubbles.

You can use the old model making trick and apply with soapy water but it does take ages to get all the water out so you have to keep at them until you do. Lots of websites with info for wet applying decals https://www.carstickers.com/blog/post/apply-your-sticker-like-a-pro/#:~:text=You can apply most smaller,the area is still wet.

• Like 1

I ended up ordering the stickers and the paint set from TrooperBay.  I figured I could try the stickers and see how they work out.  If I don't like them, now or down the road, I can peel them off and paint them.  I have had great success with soapy water and stickers.

• Like 2