Question: Shoulder to Bicep strapping

Harder

Doing the ESB build.  My bicep and shoulder pieces are not connected.  I am noticing the biceps slide down some during normal movements.  I saw a video on youtube, (not a tutorial for what I was looking for), and the trooper has the same RSP armor I have.  I saw in the video hes attached the bicep and shoulder with a small strap. Are there any tutorials or instructions on doing this?

Sorry if this is an old question, a link to other threads would be nice too.  I wasnt able to find one in the search.

It is also thought that the ESB version did not even have straps from the shoulders to biceps, as you can see in these references many are low or have rotated, but they definitely help while trooping

gallery_14191_5_17501.jpg

gallery_14191_5_69448.jpg

gallery_14191_5_207471.jpg

Soulder.JPG

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 5:50 AM, gmrhodes13 said:
It is also thought that the ESB version did not even have straps from the shoulders to biceps, as you can see in these references many are low or have rotated, but they definitely help while trooping
gallery_14191_5_17501.jpg
gallery_14191_5_69448.jpg
gallery_14191_5_207471.jpg
Soulder.JPG.fcec0085749efacd14cae2ed5a5f78b9.JPG
-------------

I’ve heard this too. Hence why I mentioned ESB in my OP. I’m thinking, unless I’m violating something for the eventual Centurión build, I’d like to attach mine. To be blunt... my biceps aren’t weight lifter worthy... and no... Um.... “definition” to keep them up. Lol

Any thoughts if me adding some would render them unacceptable for centurion?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

1 minute ago, Harder said:

Any thoughts if me adding some would render them unacceptable for centurion?

Won't be an issue for centurion, many have used them, even myself ;) 

• Like 1

Ok cool. Ty Glenn.

My plan is to use simple nylon straps with snap buttons glued to the insides of the armor pieces.

Just to keep them aligned, do you think I can connect them on the outside of the arm? Yanno to help with rotation.

Original strapping

LK43P4m.png&key=4c340935fcfae2d26800d7f4

Right arm, notice strapping is on the top ;) 

mR0HoN7.jpg&key=927c53aee2e2a0597d55545a

Example

24343856576_1bcca2e393_z.jpg&key=c04b828

• Like 2

Gotcha. The forearm and biceps are already attached pre done at RSPropmasters. So the picture with the bicep inserted in the bell of the shoulder, I think I have an idea about connecting them.

I’m gonna lay it out tonight, and hot glue in the nylon traps tomorrow to see how I like it.

Once I get it right, I’ll fit the snaps and connect it properly.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer elastic and double snaps, the elastic allows a bit of give when moving and the double snaps so you have a spare if one fails ;) 

• Like 1

I agree with the points made above. I have built quite a few TK's over the years and this hasn't failed me or the wearers  yet.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer elastic and double snaps, the elastic allows a bit of give when moving and the double snaps so you have a spare if one fails  

Yep. That’s is my plan. The hot glue and nylon straps are to ensure I get the length right.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Harder said:

Yep. That’s is my plan. The hot glue and nylon straps are to ensure I get the length right.

Just be careful with hot glue, it may distort the plastic as it is cooling, I'd suggest using tape to hold in place.

I have some extra straps set aside with snaps positioned in several places, I use these to get the spacing right when building others armor ;) 

• Like 1

Yea I'd stay away from hot glue and go E6000 - get the temp setting wrong and you can visibly warp your armor. I use a setup similar to the Billhag diagram above and have two different straps I can swap between for ANH or ESB, with the ESB being a couple inches longer to give that trademark ESB look, but still keeping them attached and less likely to rotate. I also do not use or particularly recommend using biceps hooks, as they are not allowed at L3 and not really necessary if your strapping is dialed in.

• Like 1

Today, I have the straps made for the Bicep to Shoulders.  I did include 2 different snaps for if I decide to have them a little lower like in the still images, or up tighter while I am trooping.  

I referenced the posts and threads posted above, and this one also:

But I am having a hard time finding the "how" do I connect the male snap to the armor itself.  Again.. Straps are female and done.  I did see one comment about using PC-7 Epoxy.  ? yes?  And should I put the male snaps on a 1" by 1" square of material, then adhere that to the armor?  I like this idea best for a larger surface and more porous material vs the steel snap.

So what i do is use a pice of 1/8 thick HIPS or some other plastic cut about 1" wide and 1.5" long. I drill a hole in the center then attach the 2 sides of the four part snaps to through the hole. Then I sand the back side of the plastic and the inside of the armor where I will be gluing the snap. Then i use CA glue and attach the plastic with the snap to the inside of the armor. Then i mix up some PC-7 and apply it to the top and sides of the snap plastic (keeping it away from the snap) and blend it with the armor to produce a nice bond. 

x0dmH2f.jpg

The advantage to using HIPS is that it can be heated and shaped to conform with the inside of the armor.

eBKInpt.jpg

I did consider something like this method as well.

Given several of the pieces supplied by RSP have elastic as directly glued to the plastic, I opted to utilize the elastic strap and some epoxy from JB Weld : ClearWeld.

20104fdc6c02843700a23034247f7c5d.jpg

On 11/12/2020 at 12:45 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Original strapping

LK43P4m.png&key=4c340935fcfae2d26800d7f4

Right arm, notice strapping is on the top ;) 

mR0HoN7.jpg&key=927c53aee2e2a0597d55545a

Example

24343856576_1bcca2e393_z.jpg&key=c04b828

I've been trooping with this set up for years now. It's a great solution for both wearability and portability.

I’m very happy with how it turned out.

Also, the advice of using a Phillips screwdriver to pre stake the swage pin... can’t remember where I read it, but friggin genius!

92d48523c0ff0e3bcd8425f052f94e9c.jpg

Straps are 1” by 5”. Numb 24 snaps. 3 sets per side. 2” on center of the bottom two to adjust them from film to, what’s comfortable. Lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harder said:

I’m very happy with how it turned out.

Also, the advice of using a Phillips screwdriver to pre stake the swage pin... can’t remember where I read it, but friggin genius

That would be one of my recommendations ;) 

Came out great, nice work

• Like 1