Let's do it Harder...

Harder

Hello all.  Yesterday the BBB came.  Pics are here, and I have of course suited up to see how things fit.  I do have some questions.

I will start with the unboxing.

xbvPL58.jpg

Fedex came promptly 2 hrs and 15 mins later than predicted.  You can imagine my anxiousness for that time, wondering where the truck was being robbed.

BEpjeSO.jpg

A few posed pictures and I immediately went into opening it.

TalWMty.jpg nQHCZRT.jpg w0OZRpI.jpg k8BMReV.jpg DqDlWRR.jpg eq2N2j3.jpg

And the money shot is here..

k4uhpxM.jpg 

What a manchild. lol!!

• Like 5

ok, so now I have some questions:

Everything seems to fit well, except the thigh pieces.  I am considering three options.  1. do nothing its normal, and please tell me if I am over doing it, 2. I raise up the thigh plates by shortening the elastic holders of the thigh plates to the underbelt, or 3. I need to cut and resize the thigh plates.

p5jDiT7.jpg 

There is a distinctive gap in the top of the thighs.  The knees are normal-ish, but my girlfriend can put a full hand inside at the top as it was fit on the first time.

iNlojFi.jpg

three fingers if she does sideways.

7qEhU8s.jpg

Second to the thighs, the shins are super hard to hook up and tend to pop apart.  I can slip my foot through them without unhooking them.  This also seems too loose.  Please advise on this.

you can see from my left shin plate, its popped back open but again I can slip it on closed.

p5jDiT7.jpg

Next, I noticed the bicep plates are not linked or tied to the shoulders in any way, and they kept sliding down to my elbow. Which makes me stand a little funny, unless im doing some sort of action.  I am thinking I need to connect the biceps to the shoulders to keep them in place.  For ESB, is this something I can do, or what is the preferred suggestions to make this fit a little better?

EHh5XPH.jpg

Another "fit" concern is the belt and drop boxes.  The snaps are nearly centered on the lower abdomen plate, however, and maybe its just poor quality, but the drop boxes are right there, and cut.. leaving well, less than desired appearance.  The craftsmanship is not what I would've expected.

1lNQIvh.jpg2lVpb5H.jpg 

Lastly, I noticed the green film inside the helmet is rather flimsy and cheap and again, poorly crafted.

Is this normal?

uyades1.jpg

All these little detail points, I will admit, once fully on, it doesn't look half bad.

tWA24Be.jpg

Kcgk3zJ.jpg

BE90uNC.jpg

I think this picture is the worst ever.  You can easily se how the thighs are too big, and even at the calf.

• Like 1

Congrats on your BBB!!!!!! :dancing-trooper:

It definitely appears you have a little work ahead of you. It almost looks like you have enough room to completely cut out on either side of the cover strips on the thighs, trim to fit, and reattach new cover strips. By all means, this is only an observation and I wouldn't go in gung ho based on this, but it should be an easy fix nonetheless. You will likely have to remove the cover strips on the shins, trim to fit, and reapply the strips. You are 95% there!

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 1

Congrats on your BBB day! Did you attack the Fedex driver? Haha. As Shawn already mentioned, you will definitely want to trim down those thighs a bit. Bra-hood calf closures can apparently have a tendency to open up, so perhaps some more seasoned Troopers can provide you with insight on how to minimize that. Personally, I try Cricket's magnetic shin closures.

Relating to the drop boxes, I think you'll actually find that that "lack" of quality is actually screen accuracy. The belts commonly had fraying, and the drop box elastic was often trimmed around the snap. I believe Cableguy has some photos of his replication of this on his fb page. Below is a screen reference, through from ANH, from the FISD Gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I did contact RSP about the 3” Miss on the dimensions I sent them. I’m awaiting a reply. 1” I can understand. But a 13% Miss in the dimension is excessive. Especially for the cost.

And now I’m VERY nervous about cutting this armor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Harder said:

Thanks guys. I did contact RSP about the 3” Miss on the dimensions I sent them. I’m awaiting a reply. 1” I can understand. But a 13% Miss in the dimension is excessive. Especially for the cost.

And now I’m VERY nervous about cutting this armor.

I can understand your nervousness, we all faced it. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources here to guide you along and once you make that first cut, you'll feel more confident. Despite the frustration, none of what you are experiencing is unexpected. Just be glad they are too big rather than the opposite. 

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 1

I can understand your nervousness, we all faced it. Fortunately, there are plenty of resources here to guide you along and once you make that first cut, you'll feel more confident. Despite the frustration, none of what you are experiencing is unexpected. Just be glad they are too big rather than the opposite. 

That’s a great point. I know “adding plastic” is nearly impossible vs removing some.” You know the thought did occur to me to just gain weight.

My GF quickly shut that down.

I am wanting to see what RSP is going to do about the 3” mistake. After all. What if I incorrectly paid them by 13%? They would want their money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harder said:

That’s a great point. I know “adding plastic” is nearly impossible vs removing some.” You know the thought did occur to me to just gain weight.

My GF quickly shut that down.

I am wanting to see what RSP is going to do about the 3” mistake. After all. What if I incorrectly paid them by 13%? They would want their money.

I agree. I would expect them to provide you with the materials needed for the adjustment, if they haven't included any already, and possibly something else to make the trouble worthwhile. They have a great reputation, so I don't doubt they will work to make it right.

• Like 2

Great news on receiving your BBB looking great, just swap that holster over to your other side ;) 

It's one of those things with commission builds, they are not always perfect fit the first time, it's better to have slightly larger than too small. Removing coverstrips then trimming down your thighs and perhaps your shins will fit you better. Many of us skinny folk still need some foam in places, you can't always trim completely to your frame as pieces would then look too small. I have foam behind my chest, in my thighs and forearms.

Bit hard to tell without a full arms down front image but appears your shoulder bells may be a little large too.

A few tweaks and you'll be approved in not time.

• Like 1

Great news on receiving your BBB looking great, just swap that holster over to your other side  

It's one of those things with commission builds, they are not always perfect fit the first time, it's better to have slightly larger than too small. Removing coverstrips then trimming down your thighs and perhaps your shins will fit you better. Many of us skinny folk still need some foam in places, you can't always trim completely to your frame as pieces would then look too small. I have foam behind my chest, in my thighs and forearms.

Bit hard to tell without a full arms down front image but appears your shoulder bells may be a little large too.

A few tweaks and you'll be approved in not time.

Thanks Glenn I appreciate the feedback from you n all, honestly. I know it’s not exactly right, so I’m gonna work on it this weekend once I have some time to focus.

I was too excited to suit up I didn’t even notice the gun on the wrong side. Lol!!!

I was totally focusing on those drop boxes and seams tho

• Like 1

I agree. I would expect them to provide you with the materials needed for the adjustment, if they haven't included any already, and possibly something else to make the trouble worthwhile. They have a great reputation, so I don't doubt they will work to make it right.

Shawn,

And anyone still deciding on a manufacturer for buying a suit... I sent RSP more detailed pics, plus resent the original measurements on Friday. I knew the 8hr time difference would mean they wouldn’t see the email till today.

In my inbox this morning, a sincere apology, an address to ship these pieces, and confirmation of the dimensions to make new ones immediately.

I did expect to get a little pushback, but was hopeful they would make it right vs me cutting them. And I wasn’t disappointed... no pushback.

Very professional and I am ok with the mistake. It happens.

• Like 3

Glad to hear the good news. This is the type of customer service with earns a place on the reputable vendors list, and why Troopers should do business with those types of armor makers. Guess you’ll have another BB Day to look forward to!

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

• Like 1

Hello All, here's an update.  

Helmet is 99% complete.  First and foremost, mad props to @MaskedVengeance @gmrhodes13 and @ukswrath

Please check this link for details as it was my reference.  :  

So I bought the Truck Bed liner and got a little messy today.

MfsNga0.jpg

I started this with taking out the hardware, the "S" seal, and straps.  Note: the flimsy green film is a Bi$@& to work with.  I officially hate it.

gipsfa4.jpg

ZJ7bkIX.jpg

cjlfS6q.jpg

OH!!! before I go any further... PLEASE please please #PLEASE note which side the "S" seal is clipped to the helmet.  I didn't.  Learn from my mistake.  The open end at my thumb is the side you need.  NOT the other side.  LOL

5TpqLBJ.jpg

Next: I took the brass bolts and cut them down.  I made special note to ensure I cut them 4 threads over the stack height of the nut, washer, plastic etc.  Then I VERY lightly sanded them down to create a nice radius to let the nut go back on.

Pro Tip, BEFORE you cut, put the nut ON, and run it down to the head of the bolt.  After you cut, you can remove the nut.  It'll likely get tough at the end, but that will just align the last thread and ensure when you sand it, you're not sanding it in a > Pitch.  Trust me.

AWDlOxb.jpgjGmCD1S.jpg

With all the hardware out, I taped off the inside, including the teeth, and then taped a garbage bag to the outside, to ensure I do not get any over spray.  BESURE YOU TAPE OFF YOUR TAG OR AUTHENTICITY LABEL!!!  

GasMOsW.jpg5dXJ72I.jpg

1ryQJwZ.jpg

Spray, and let dry... two coats should do it.   Be LIIIIIIGHT on the spray.  Don't want it to run or drip.

MNXpOF7.jpg

Here's a quick video of how the liner looks. 

https://i.imgur.com/8ATZzvZ.mp4

Once its all dry, lets start re-assembling.  Remove the tape:

a2V8nIS.jpg

Cut and hot glue in the terrible to work with green flimsy film, and glue in the screen @MaskedVengeance sent me.

Dej1xbB.jpg

Add the padding (purchased separately)

VhcgAaW.jpg

Insert the super awesome, seriously why WOULDN'T you get this... iCOMM voice changer, and fan assembly, from @ukswrath  and the seal is replaced.

CcVcAOI.jpg

Tomorrow, I will drill the holes for the speakers, and bolt them in.  Just ran out of time today.  Nonetheless, It was a great day, and this build is coming along.  

PS: with padding Helmet fits perfectly!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I see you got everything in there! Good job, looks great!

I did! and thank you for the pictures and your post that gave me the direction.  I did have to move the battery pack for the fans a little bit, to help balance out the weight, so it wouldnt sit crooked on my head. 

• Like 1

End of the week update:

Pictures taken and submitted to GMLs.  Helmet is finished.

While I wait, I am working on the E11 to clean it up and give a far more realistic look.  I want it to look like worn steel.  I am going to cut out and replace the "D" ring in the back with an actual metal "D" ring.  I am also going to cut a small pocket out of the battery chamber and add a ammo meter. (I saw this in another post I cant find right now), and I am going to shine the grip and handle areas where a glove would be holding this for a long time.  I'd also like to put a plastic lens in the scope area., as well as drill out some of the features that look like a pin should be in there, and replace them with actual pins. While I don't want to go for a worn look, I think the armor should shine, and the most used item should reflect some ware.

• Like 1

Good luck with approval, hope you hear something soon

With weathering note the grip and T-tracks would not have any weathering due to them originally being black plastic ;) 

Looking forward to seeing your blaster mods.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your approval, Craig! I would have commented on your Reporting for Duty post, but I don’t yet have the appropriate account permissions. I’m one of those builders who is taking their sweet time, and hopefully I can find the financial resources to actually proceed and finish to join the 501st. Looking great in your armor! Now to submit for L2 and L3!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Congrats on your approval, Craig! I would have commented on your Reporting for Duty post, but I don’t yet have the appropriate account permissions. I’m one of those builders who is taking their sweet time, and hopefully I can find the financial resources to actually proceed and finish to join the 501st. Looking great in your armor! Now to submit for L2 and L3!

Totally understood.  Do it right or not at all..  And thank you!  yes, I am already prepping for L3, but I recognize L2 is needed first.  :) 

Thank you for all your help, comments and support MV.

• Like 1