Centurion 500 - my bid to make Centurion

TK88667

So what do you do when you get an armor kit and 2 weeks later Covid lockdown starts?  Build the armor!  Well I did and received Basic approval.  Shortly after with no opportunity to troop and with the push from @justjoseph63 and a few others I was approved for EIB #981.  So now I need to get to Centurion.  One because I'm attempting to be in the Centurion 500, and two because it's a challenge to perfect the armor to that level.  I'm posting here to get help on some of the processes - ABS paste, alignment of certain pieces and just small tweaks.  I know this community is a wealth of knowledge so I'm looking for ideas, tips and tricks.  

So here we go.  

• Like 3

First the suggestions per my EIB approval:

Make seams of the kidney shims disappear  - via ABS paste.

Your kidney shims turned out fantastic, but as you and I have discussed for Level 3 they cannot have a seam present.  Making ABS paste to cover them and then sanding/polishing is actually not as daunting of a task as you may think, and I can offer some tricks/tips for ya'... just PM me.

plGGaIL.jpg                DM97mXq.jpg

Move thigh ammo pack a small amount on the thigh (no I did not use CA glue... thankfully) - possibly just re-drill thighs or re-drill ammo pack and thigh and fill holes with ABS paste:

Although not a deal-breaker for Level 3, we are strongly suggesting that you bring down the sides of the thigh ammo pack about 5 mm.  (Hopefully you didn't use CA glue)!  ;)

Reference images

99yd3Pu.jpg  aNdv5kL.jpg  wbqC8UB.jpg?1 m96EJql.jpg?1

Lower TD on the belt - going to need to fab new clips to lower belt

It looks as if your TD could be pushed down on the belt some more.  This would be a task for whoever attaches it, and something to consider when getting suited up.

Reference images

kUledTl.jpg                    ps7wlp6.jpg?1   r6a5Pnj.jpg?1   9YKDVGU.jpg?1

Brow Trim needs to be trimmed:

The brow trim could be trimmed back just a tad to where it lines up more with the rear of the trap line.  Easy!

Reference images

3tFhIIB.jpg  4XF6DNj.jpg                      at0okwU.jpg?1   3Pe1TuG.jpg?1

Other minor issues - but mostly just adjust for my pictures.

Here we go!

Looking good so far, abs paste does take some time to dry, I leave at least 24hours before trying to sand.

• Like 1

Checklist: DONE

Upgrades: IN PROGRESS!

You got this, Ken! I'm sure you've already seen it, but in case not, the thread below from Ensi will help you get your shine back to the kidney shim seam. I also have a PDF version of it on my Reference thread.

• Like 1

Applied the paste to the parts... lets see how this goes.  

back of thighs:

4wFCUGy.jpg

Wq4Ziz8.jpg

Kidney shims:

pV0nald.jpg

ROBSx5X.jpg - may have applied a bit thick here... but well see

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Checklist: DONE

Upgrades: IN PROGRESS!

You got this, Ken! I'm sure you've already seen it, but in case not, the thread below from Ensi will help you get your shine back to the kidney shim seam. I also have a PDF version of it on my Reference thread.

Caleb, 

Thank you!  I may call on you soon.  I've let ABS dry and starting the sanding process.  I'm down to 2000.  Having issues with color of white paste not matching perfectly.  Also the shim pieces not matching exactly after I sanded the "shine" off of them.  Funny  - all the ABS is from the same kit.    I'll post more pics tomorrow and hopefully get some input.  

Edited by TK88667
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good so far, abs paste does take some time to dry, I leave at least 24hours before trying to sand.

Thanks Glen.  I checked it a couple of times and yeah - kinda like E6000 needs more time that you think to dry. ;-)

• Like 1

You may also find once you sand it flush you are left with fine air bubbles, I think it's just part of the curing process, so you may need to apply another layer or even use some filler. Using filler though will mean having to touch up the area with paint, can be tricky getting the right shade of white.

Great to see you striving to achieve Centurion, and with the excellent progress you are making with your modifications, you should easily reach your goal.

Keep up the great work Ken the 500 is in your sights.

Fantastic to see that you are headed for Centurion, brother! :salute:  I wish you had given me a heads up before whipping up the ABS paste, though..  " I can offer some tricks/tips for ya'... just PM me."

The reason being is that when using it, less is better.  I suggest using the absolute minimum you can... just enough to fill the gap/seam.  When it comes time to sand it down  (it's not as easy as you'd think) it will save a TON of time and there will be less of an area that you have to make shiny again with progressively finer grit sandpaper/polish.

That being said, I know your determination and am sure it will come out looking awesome!

23 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Fantastic to see that you are headed for Centurion, brother! :salute:  I wish you had given me a heads up before whipping up the ABS paste, though..  " I can offer some tricks/tips for ya'... just PM me."

The reason being is that when using it, less is better.  I suggest using the absolute minimum you can... just enough to fill the gap/seam.  When it comes time to sand it down  (it's not as easy as you'd think) it will save a TON of time and there will be less of an area that you have to make shiny again with progressively finer grit sandpaper/polish.

That being said, I know your determination and am sure it will come out looking awesome!

Darn it... yes I should have connected with you.  I went out to the work shop to try a "single" location - and got carried away and started putting it on ALL the spots.  I've been sanding quite a bit the past day.  And needless to say I may have a problem.... seems when I sand the ABS - the finish on the shim surface is lighter than it was before I sanded it.   See picture below.  The shim has been sanded pretty extensively, and it is lighter white than the kidney.  Even the Kidney is lighter where I've sanded vs areas untouched (around the back of the kidney).  Is this a natural yellowing of the material, that I am only noticing because i've sanded it?  The seam is smooth.  I've taken it down to 2000 grit.

rrCVBzP.jpg

Have I messed it up too much? 

Edited by TK88667