Mixing armor suppliers?

Hi,

I have a full set of Anovos armor that I built up and used for 501st application submittal a few years ago.  This is what i've been trooping in thus far.  However, back before the Anovos kit was available I put myself on the ATA wait list.  So, while I waited for the Anovos and ATA armor to arrive, i built up the ATA helmet kit.   When the ATA armor arrived, I'd already started on the Anovos kit, so the ATA still remains in the box, untouched.  (sadly)

I  recently upgraded to a Kittel belt, and when i did that, I decided to use the ATA version of the ammo pack since it's much thicker and sturdy.

Will this mixing of Anovos/ATA have any impact to EIB or Centurion status?  (I'm very nearly ready to submit for that).  I'll also want to use my ATA helmet for those submittals since I like my self-built bucket over the Anovos version, and I put great care into making it 100% accurate.

thanks!

Edited by boomer75
  • Like 1

Hi Mark, It would be so helpful if you can post some photos of you in armor to see the complete scene so we can give you some feedback and the appropriate response . 

Cheers :salute:

A lot of it will be determined by the shades of the ABS, Mark.  Different armorers use different suppliers of plastic, so some variations will occur.  As Mario mentioned, posting a few side-by-side pics will certainly help. 

Good point- here are some pics.  

ATA on the left, Anovos on the right.  The Anovos chestplate for reference.

AbNN1F8.jpg

Anovos belt and plastic on the left.  ATA and Kittel belt on right.  (ammo boxes are Anovos).  I haven't finished the buttons yet, but i added them to this for comparison.

pX3viyU.jpg

Another image just for more context

9Zrh5Lj.jpg

But, with inside lights, it slightly changes the white appearance.   The ATA bucket is again on the left, Anovos on the right.  The anovos ab section again here for reference. 

kmmysNs.jpg

thanks!

boomer

Realistically it depends how much color difference there is, I know just recently comparing an ATA armor and RS armor and there was a massive difference in color. I purchased a grappling box from TM years ago and again big difference to ATA.

There doesn't appear to be much color difference here, or at least it's not showing in the image

9Zrh5Lj.jpg&key=dbb0338635f9695a3473fccc

Normally mixing a helmet to another make of armor isn't really an issue as it's separate but when you go adding pieces like a belt or arm/leg piece you can notice. 

It looks like you are planning to use the ATA belt, aren't you? If so, could you please take a pic with the Anovos torso with the AT belt?

To me The ATA looks a bit more cream than Anovos but it could be my eyes.  

yeah, that's what i was going for.  i grabbed my wife's armor (also Anovos) for a better side-by-side.  ATA belt is on the right.  I agree ATA generally looks a bit more cream (in this indoor shot it looks whiter, but there is a difference regardless).  i'm not sure if this is such a good idea after looking at it in more detail.  I definitely appreciate the inputs and opinions. i wouldn't want this to be an issue for accuracy, since i don't have to do it.

WqIxIz2.jpg

Belt does stand out a lot more. ATA is generally a little creamer than Anovos, yet put ATA next to RS and it's the RS that's even creamer.

It's the reason we try to advise people not to mix replacement parts can look great with some mixes but can stand out with others.

I'd say if you were going to mix anything you could get away with a helmet mix to armor but I wouldn't mix a prominent piece that's right in your face like a belt ;) 

• Like 2

OK, it just may be me but I can see a difference..  The ATA bucket on the left (first pic) has a different hue than the brighter white Anovos one on the right.  BUT, the photo on the right shows the Anovos bucket to have a slightly more yellow tinge.

At this point, I would suggest donning your entire armor and let's see what matches and what doesn't.  I think you will be good to go, though as camera angles and lighting can be deceiving!

h5g6hkt.jpg?1    897HuSC.jpg?1

• Like 1

thanks so much.  i really appreciate the feedback y'all!  i'll keep it all one make. 

Upon further reflection, i do intend on building up the ATA as a sandie so with that in mind i don't want to go pulling parts out of that kit, so you saved me from myself.  haha

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, boomer75 said:

thanks so much.  i really appreciate the feedback y'all!  i'll keep it all one make. 

Upon further reflection, i do intend on building up the ATA as a sandie so with that in mind i don't want to go pulling parts out of that kit, so you saved me from myself.  haha

Just one thing before deciding which armor you will use for a Sandie, a question, which one do you think you will troop in more, I ask as my first ATA lasted 7 years and @200 troops, ATA is pretty thick and doesn't seem to crack like other armor (RS is the worst), I've seen quite a few threads on Anovos armor and cracks appearing, so perhaps have a think about that.

Incidentally my old ATA was turned into a Sandie only because of a build up of scratches over the years, it's still going strong ;) 

• Like 1

great point.  i would likely troop in the sandie more once i have both to choose from.  (if only because it will be the second - well, third, if you count my wife's, kit that i'll have built)  so, my hope is i'll have more experience to fit it as well as possible for maximized comfort.  Also, like you mentioned,  i've already had to repair a bunch of cracks in the Anovos, so i'm concerned about its long term reliability.    ABS paste to the rescue!

• Like 1