Doomsdale's TK Stunt Build [WTF]

Doomsdale

Working on the lower legs now and uh, I don't know if I'm drinking dumb dumb juice here.

8CCC4wG.jpg

I don't know if I have these matched correctly. I can't search any answers either on which part goes to which leg. But the bottoms don't seem to match up? I didn't trim the other two just in case I screwed up these yet, but just eyeballing them, the other two seem to match fine length-wise.

wd0mYmU.jpg

Also another silly question just for confirmation. It seems like in most builds, the cover strip will not cover the top entirely as the return edge flares out a bit. No matter, the left leg will cover it anyway with the sniper knee. But for the right side, this is still okay?

ZvKvF6V.jpg

There is mention of WTF shin orientation in this build, further down the page 

Yes it's ok to have some edge showing on the shins sml_gallery_12157_15_46342.jpg.d6e616a9891dc1193d22e133b0e177e3.jpg

Okay, so I think I have them sorted out for each side.

I decided to measure the top and bottom of my right shin then halved the circumference measurements to measure back on each half of the shin armor. I added about an inch space just in case of over trimming.

That wasn't enough haha. I'm glad I left some, but when I tried it on, it didn't meet at the back anymore. Uh-oh.

Remembering some info from a return edge guide, I trimmed off some of the return edge at the top and that really helped bring them back together in the back. It's still very tight, and I'm wondering how much I've screwed this up. The whole radii of the shin seems skewed front to back, so I'm thinking if I need to, maybe do a hot water bath to push the skew more side-to-side dimensions?

Anyway, pictures of the right shin after trim results (mirror corrected):

ZFPnQ19.jpg

SDuwuON.jpg

HUYsJVR.jpg

7jB1d5K.jpg

Okay guys, I've figured this mostly out, and I think I'm just a dumbass ha.

I consulted some others and I think I'm just wearing them too high. I clasped them on over the boot this time and let them sit lower, and instantly felt much better. Now feeling confident, I went ahead and did the other shin as well. 

KQT4QgZ.jpg

xmVd6xL.jpg

ycYZfyB.jpg

jU6XP2T.jpg

Yeah they're a little loose the back still and misaligned, but that'll fix when I put the cover strip on. 

On a side note, anyone have a good way of using imgur to shrink uploaded images? I've tried using their resizing setting while editing, and they look fine there, but whenever I post here they're still original sized gigantic.

• Like 1

If you are on computer you can use Paint works well, if on mobile there are some apps available for photo resizing 

• Like 1

Okay, I've started using E6000 to glue the forearms together. It was a bit more difficult than I thought, but I eventually figured it out (with some minor overspill in places).

I couldn't keep the thing together to glue it all at once, so I settled with gluing the coverstrips first, and then one side at a time.

N2Xuial.jpg

7F5Zsrs.jpg

After having to redo the front strip several times, I finally got into a workable hold.

x43Qgmm.jpg

49FcOy8.jpg

N6mwiSj.jpg

• Like 1

Putting some pressure on the tops then wrapping tape around can help pull in trouble areas ;) 

• Like 1

It's so cold in my basement, I've been giving it several days to set enough.

Came back to my left forearms and got...this.

gf6KWpo.jpg

e5aFGWp.jpg

1QnOPBN.jpg

I think a clip slipped and started doing some weird stuff under the tape. Oh well. I'll rip this one apart and redo it.

Meanwhile, I'm gluing the right bicep:

qDbfdMm.jpg

Putting on the cover strips first. Then I'll wait a few hours for it to set a bit, enough for me to at least do the other half of the butt connection.

SjwGVrH.jpg

Edited by Doomsdale
Whoopsie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work, you may want to add a strip of scrap ABS behind so the left thigh ridge gap so it looks closed or you could use some ABS paste

onbVWrO.jpg gallery_12157_15_2547.jpg

Looks like the right lower strip is sticking up at the bottom?

mARKtuT.jpg

On 1/14/2021 at 8:19 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, you may want to add a strip of scrap ABS behind so the left thigh ridge gap so it looks closed or you could use some ABS paste

Looks like the right lower strip is sticking up at the bottom?

I think I'm gonna go the ABS paste route. It's about time I watch something melt.

Yeah good eye, it was sticking up a bit. 

vnQZBcY.jpg

For my weekend project I decided to tackle the thigh ammo pack. And I felt like I was making good progress too. I trimmed it out. Drilled some holes. Then placed the first rivet. However I've hit a weird snag.

NONE of the other washers will fit over the rivets. Even if I close them a little, they seem to get wider at the base than at the end. I ordered these off of trooperbay. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm looking at buying slightly bigger washers. I don't think that will affect Level 3...

Here's what I was able to accomplish this weekend at least:

7WKg5mF.jpg

KSO5BG3.jpgZl9WBD7.jpg

Nice work, looks good. If you add a little E6000 behind the ammo strip it will stop it moving around, I place some behind the sides and a little at the front.

On 1/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, looks good. If you add a little E6000 behind the ammo strip it will stop it moving around, I place some behind the sides and a little at the front.

Good idea, mine is a little slippy. 

So I contacted trooperbay, and thank the maker, they sent me some slightly bigger washers! Great service. These fit through a lot better, but were slightly thicker too. I was able to get them to work for me.

pZE9eUY.jpg

GOsGytn.jpg

UxhM3aa.jpg

While I waited, I applied the sniper knee to the left shin. Special thanks to big bertha clamp.

B282uZH.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update on several things that have been drying in the background!

Here's the sniper knee attached to the shin now:

B9DDwZJ.jpgbhwxQXM.jpg

My flexible hand guards came in, and I glued them to my gloves.

I also followed Ukswrath's ANOVOS build on straps between the forearms and biceps. All together:

rOpQ6qL.jpg

cLNui63.jpg

QN9AXsC.jpg?1

If you’re having trouble holding pieces together when glueing cover strips, tape them together on the outside then tape the inside too. When you’re ready to add the strip, just remove the outside tape. The inside tape should hold them together for you to add the strip.

If you leave the tape on the inside while the glue is drying too, it’ll give you a bit of extra pressure in addition to clamps and magnets.

b98d58ba3abd40ac7f4298aaa1cfec65.jpg

9f5215296fc14a8ff4116b46400a57ff.jpg

With pieces that have been trimmed further and won’t stay together with just one strip along the seam, I add two small strips going horizontally across the seam at the top and bottom and that does the trick. See below:

ef1b9e0341fbf56f7872611f33c99ee7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, Short4ATrooper said:

If you’re having trouble holding pieces together when glueing cover strips, tape them together on the outside then tape the inside too. When you’re ready to add the strip, just remove the outside tape. The inside tape should hold them together for you to add the strip.

If you leave the tape on the inside while the glue is drying too, it’ll give you a bit of extra pressure in addition to clamps and magnets.

Yeah I was struggling with this for a while. I started figuring this out late into the glue process haha. If I have to rip them apart for some reason I'm definitely trying that.

I've put it off for a while now, but I'm feeling brave enough to start on my bucket. I found a few good guides listed below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqpMGao2_xw

So here is my is my bucket so far after I've trimmed and sanded everything:

5xMUhqT.jpg5BX5mru.jpg

804gCWq.jpgSWT79lW.jpg

The left side of where the brow sits is a little forward set due to the mold, but also looking at some references, a lot of buckets seemed to be uneven with where the brow trim ended. I think I will leave it as is.

• Like 2

Okay, so I got the two parts together in a way I found pleasing, and fitting to the tubes. I gripped them together with magnets and clamps and drilled the holes for the rivets. But when it all came out...

28jN3xn.jpg

RvjQOEB.jpg

cvSwlEB.jpg

The holes I drilled went in higher than I thought I was drilling. And when riveted, the tubes aren't matching up. Looks like I'm drilling them out :(

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Doomsdale said:

Okay, so I got the two parts together in a way I found pleasing, and fitting to the tubes. I gripped them together with magnets and clamps and drilled the holes for the rivets. But when it all came out...

28jN3xn.jpg

RvjQOEB.jpg

cvSwlEB.jpg

The holes I drilled went in higher than I thought I was drilling. And when riveted, the tubes aren't matching up. Looks like I'm drilling them out :(

It looks like you also have space between the brow and the face plate. Try to line up the front edge of the trap with the edge of the eye, on each side, since you can pull the face forward to do so.

I'm also not sure exactly how the WTF helmet fits together compared to other helmets, but it looks like you could angle the back and cap forward more, and pull it backwards and down slightly, to help close the gap with the tubes.

It could be that the holes are misaligned now because you drilled and riveted both at the same time. You could always do one side first, and rivet it, and then that'll give you an anchor point to drill the hole on the other side.

Either way, good luck with the helmet rivets, and the build looks great so far.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, PhilBobTheFish said:

It looks like you also have space between the brow and the face plate. Try to line up the front edge of the trap with the edge of the eye, on each side, since you can pull the face forward to do so.

I'm also not sure exactly how the WTF helmet fits together compared to other helmets, but it looks like you could angle the back and cap forward more, and pull it backwards and down slightly, to help close the gap with the tubes.

It could be that the holes are misaligned now because you drilled and riveted both at the same time. You could always do one side first, and rivet it, and then that'll give you an anchor point to drill the hole on the other side.

Either way, good luck with the helmet rivets, and the build looks great so far.

Good tip. I successfully drilled out the rivet. This time I kept that spacing in mind when aligning the parts and I feel like it helped. 

I think the results are much better this time around. I also learned my lesson and used a screw to hold them together before I rivet.

2hnKJbK.jpgC8WtmwA.jpg

Looking better, just on the sides watch the angle of the brow trim. You may be able to trim just a little off the cap to help straighten it. You may find this is common to WFT helmets, just compare with a few other build threads

DaveMANH08.jpg.970585dcb4ff279315719df8f7f6c75c.jpgC8WtmwA.jpg.a1aec450b7614f82dff6fa5b175c8d7e.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking better, just on the sides watch the angle of the brow trim. You may be able to trim just a little off the cap to help straighten it. You may find this is common to WFT helmets, just compare with a few other build threads

DaveMANH08.jpg.970585dcb4ff279315719df8f7f6c75c.jpgC8WtmwA.jpg.a1aec450b7614f82dff6fa5b175c8d7e.jpg

Yeah I'm in agreeance too. The WTF didn't have too much guidance on where to cut here other than following the back of the shell's line. Glad I'm not crazing when I thought I saw it dipping on the sides there. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody said that ears would be one of the trickiest things to do, and they were right. I followed this guide pretty extensively and I still think I messed up a couple times. So hours of fiddling got me to here:

vABH22Q.jpgyHZ1aAd.jpgIUp11Ki.jpg

I feel like it's pretty close, even if I felt like every step was an overcorrection. Although a few slips of the dremel left some scratches on the ear...anyone have a good idea on how to buff out scratches?

Also, I need to figure out what WTF's complementary bolts have to do here. Does the longest one need to be cut off after installation? Or does it go somewhere else entirely.

R8gK60T.jpg

(The second from the bottom bolt will be replaced with a pop rivet once I get a new one.)