Polishing armor that won't damage ABS???

TK71169

1 hour ago, FanboyNightmare said:

Hey, Troopers! What are the best methods and product brands that are typically used for polishing ABS plastic that won't damage it? 

Vapor Acetone polishing for about 10 mins.  Does the trick on ABS resin.  Super easy.  It will remove paint though.  The plastic will need to be Naturally the same color uniformly.

3 hours ago, Harder said:

Vapor Acetone polishing for about 10 mins.  Does the trick on ABS resin.  Super easy.  It will remove paint though.  The plastic will need to be Naturally the same color uniformly.

Yeah, probably best to avoid, then. 

3 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Hi JC, welcome to FISD.   

Personally I have used Car polish , not specific brand,  clean the long time trooping dirt.  

Cheers :salute:

Got any before and after pictures? Microfiber washcloth, or?

I use automotive polish and compound very heavier scratches, no issues from their use and gives a nice shine.

Personally, I use the Novus plastic polish system. there are 3 grades available depending on the extent of the scratches, in a simple 1,2 ,3  system. The 1 is a high gloss spray on wipe and buff off to shine up your kit. 2 is for minor scratches and the 3 for heavier scratching and crazes. Mine has lasted me years and still going.

No reason a reasonable car polish cant do the same, I just went with the specialty recommended for plastic.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 11:55 AM, Harder said:

WHAT!  not sure were you got that from NEVER use acetone base products on plastic will ruin finish,  just simple car polish.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

WHAT!  not sure were you got that from NEVER use acetone base products on plastic will ruin finish,  just simple car polish.

Mark (AP)

It is safe to vapor polish plastic. I am a ME in polymer science and plastics.

I will agree with this statement, I wouldn’t use it directly on the plastic or paint. I did state only if it’s solid color thru. This thread was about polishing plastic, but I see it’s really asking about polishing paint. Or the subject is now, rather. In that circumstance, yes. Vapor polishing will not give the best result.

Nonetheless, doing proper research into various methods of polishing and knowing the piece being worked on is always my recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...NEVER use acetone base products on ...plastic (WITH PAINT)... will ruin finish,  just simple car polish.

Mark 

Also, just to be clear. This is absolutely correct, I did not take into account that some manufacturers paint the armor before shipping. If the armor has ANY paint on it... this is good advice.

On 10/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, Harder said:

Also, just to be clear. This is absolutely correct, I did not take into account that some manufacturers paint the armor before shipping. If the armor has ANY paint on it... this is good advice.

We are talking about white plastic not painted, most makers including me use white gloss ABS plastic to make armors its not painted, not sure what acetone vapor polish process is but I know as a fact that Acetone on ABS plastic will ruin finish.

Mark (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1