Is there a way to make relatively cheap armor?

Something I haven’t been seeing anywhere is a way to make armor (not needing to be screen accurate or anything) for less than $200? I’m on a low budget and I already have a helmet. I’m just looking for a way to get/make stormtrooper armor that is higher quality than party city level costumes, but doesn’t need to be screen accurate. Any suggestions?

All I could suggest is foam or pepkura builds, there are a few builds on the internet you may be able to follow, check Google https://www.google.com/search?q=pepakura+stormtrooper&sxsrf=ALeKk035jnn9BRd50Dyjm8V-Av2sxAryGw:1603318348095&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX8OWk2sbsAhUj63MBHeLQCswQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1255&bih=643

Here you will find pretty much all armor is at least 501st approved so you won't find any under $200, this is not a cheap hobby to get into but once you have spend the money you will have it for a long time, there is always the option of on-selling too

21 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

All I could suggest is foam or pepkura builds, there are a few builds on the internet you may be able to follow, check Google https://www.google.com/search?q=pepakura+stormtrooper&sxsrf=ALeKk035jnn9BRd50Dyjm8V-Av2sxAryGw:1603318348095&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjX8OWk2sbsAhUj63MBHeLQCswQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1255&bih=643

Here you will find pretty much all armor is at least 501st approved so you won't find any under $200, this is not a cheap hobby to get into but once you have spend the money you will have it for a long time, there is always the option of on-selling too

Ok, thanks

• Like 1

Just be aware if you are seeking 501st legion approval it would be very hard to make foam armor to that basic standard. If it's for a hobby or Halloween go for it ;) 

In case you are interested 501st base requirements can be found here https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt

• 11 months later...

Last year i made a full Stormtrooper suit including the helmet  out of Eva Foam and it was not cheap when comparing it to an ABS suit. The materials and paint was around £400 and it took 3 months to build.

My ABS suit cost as a kit around £600 , was half the work and took the same amount of time to build. The difference though is that my ABS suit is 501 cleared,  movie accurate and will last many troops and just looks far far better when weighing up the difference.  For me its a no brainier really. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2020 at 9:56 AM, WannabeStormtrooperZ said:

Something I haven’t been seeing anywhere is a way to make armor (not needing to be screen accurate or anything) for less than $200? I’m on a low budget and I already have a helmet. I’m just looking for a way to get/make stormtrooper armor that is higher quality than party city level costumes, but doesn’t need to be screen accurate. Any suggestions?

Are you wanting to ultimately get into the 501st?