Product Review: ANHv2 Helmet

Notes on convention:

ANH = A New Hope sized buckets that derive from TE's work, e.g. AP/TE/RT/Gino, or or similar in size.

A.N.H. = Another Nice Helmet - the bucket being reviewed here.

The A.N.H. is a 100% fan sculpt from Kevin at ImperialSurplus.Com. I saw pix of it over on the 501st boards awhile back and didn't give it much notice at the time, but after seeing it firsthand at the TOR Parade I was very impressed. Background story on this helmet and it's creation can be found here: Imperial Surplus . Intended primarily as an upgrade for troops currently using the FX bucket, it would also make a good replacement for those not happy with their current ANH lid (e.g. 'cause it's too small or is not symmetrical or whatever).

Highlights:

1) One piece construction. Basically that means fully assembled so no worrying about aligning screw holes fitting ears with a heat gun. Eyes, frown, and neck need to be trimmed, but if you want a finished bucket they'll come fully trimmed for a nominal fee.

2) It's very durable. Made from rigid urethane it's stronger and less brittle than resin, and comes out glossy white. I handled a prototype that was heavier than most ANH buckets, but was assured that later models would be a similar weight to other buckets. I didn't try drop testing it, but the one I handled was very sturdy, and IMHO while heavier than vac formed buckets was easily light enough to troop in. It was certainly more rugged than my AP.

3) It's slightly bigger than an AP/TE/Gino (haven't check it to an RT yet). Not too much bigger and certainly not as big as an FX, but enough that it should fit folks for whom most ANH buckets are too small for, and allows that much more room for fans, etc. - real estate being notoriously precious in other ANH lids. It's also much easier to put on/off due to the increased area around the neck.

4) It's a symmetrical sculpt. Other ANH buckets are all asymmetrical as they derive from screen used buckets (which were not perfect). While some people like the asymmetry of ANH as it harks back to the originals, others do not and so having it be pure in this regard is a plus.

5) The lines on this helmet are fantastic from every angle as you can see in the comparison pix. The front has a different angle of slope than other ANH buckets giving it a different appearance when seen front-on.

6) You get everything in one stop shopping: Kit includes the one-piece helmet right from the mold. Gray/Green (like sunglasses) Eye lens, black nose screen, your choice of TK or TD sticker set (---------), your choice of "tube" stripes

(Black, Dark Blue, Medium Blue or Light Blue -----------) 6 screws and nuts, lower neck seal, rubber brow with adhesive. Only the Aerators are painted black and assembled with silver screen. Some other helmets you have to buy these parts seperately, so it's nice to get it all with one order.

7) Very attractive pricing: $220 plus shipping makes it the least expensive option for upgrading the bucket.

You can contact Kevin directly via kwdesigns2@verizion.net.

Whether you're looking to replace your current lid or just want a new one, this is certainly a great option for all troops, whether they be TK, TD, or TX.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

My FX kit isn't perfectly white. It has just a slight yellow tint in the plastic that was used. I am concerned that, if I replace my helmet, my head will be a glowing white and my armor will look off.

If the yellowing is just on the outside of the armor you could use turtle wax rubbing compuond to take off the top layer of abs them polish it back up with Novus. If it's inside and out you'd have to paint your amor.

Although in the email I got from Kevin he notes that you may have to paint hte helmet to match anyway.

• 1 month later...
It didn't yellow from the sun or stains. The ABS plastic was never a pure white. It has just a slight yellow hugh to it. You could really tell when my CA Boots were brand new that the armor wasn't perfectly white but when the vinal started yellowing it matched.

The FX color is more pure white compared to the MFX cream color :unsure: