So after building an ebay helmet kit I decided to take the plunge and begin working toward achieving a literally life long goal (since I was around 6-7) of owning stormtrooper armour <-----that's how we spell it here in Canadaland. 

So here I am: Monday evening with a pile of ABS on my floor. I'm excited and slightly intimidated but not as much as I would have been had I not built a helmet already. 

I'm going to do my best to build this to centurion level. I still have a lot to learn about the strapping system used on the original suits and I'd like to get as close as possible within reason.

You will notice in the photos I have a set of ESB hand guards. That's simply because I didn't want ABS ANH guards as I'm planning to get latex guards and figured it could'nt hurt to have some ESBs lying around for a rainy day. Also don't mind the WW2 collection in the display case.

P88K64G.jpg

• Like 4

Looking forward to seeing the build progress, when in doubt check the gallery sections, good luck

• Like 1

Good luck, can't wait to see how the process goes!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alight I'm jumping in head first: with the helmet

I'm planning to make an ANH HDPE helmet replica similar to what CableGuy did here: 

I've started trimming and, like on my first helmet, I've gone with the rough "box cutter" eye shapes seen on screen used helmets like the "move along" trooper seen here
UrZg2yx.jpg

And here is my first attempt at replicating that helmet a few months ago
1NB8Rzq.jpg

I haven't tried to replicate any particular helmet since this is my trooper. I simply did it in the same mindset of "lets get these helmets made quickly so they can be on set for this weird space movie" that I'm sure the workers at SDS had in 1976.
7VOuNAz.jpg

of course not all original helmets are the same and having nice completely cut out eyes is not innacurate at all. Here is another original ANH helmet that was on auction at propstore this year. It has fully cut out eyes.
doIYy1Y.jpg

I am currently putting together a trooperbay order for the rest of what I need to complete this helmet so stay tuned

Edited by Mad Cow Rebel
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing the progress

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've seen a TE build, good luck with your progress Avery :popcorn:

• Like 1

I've finished trimming the helmet and I'm happy with the brow height and dome fitment. 

Hcr5JRL.jpg

I'm almost ready to put in an order for the rest of the straps and parts I need to start building the armour and finish the helmet but I want to be sure I have everything first.

Is there a thread where the original strapping systems are discussed? I can't seem to find it

3 hours ago, Mad Cow Rebel said:

Is there a thread where the original strapping systems are discussed? I can't seem to find it

I did a quick search and couldn't find much either... likely mostly because not many people use the original style "bracket" strapping, because it's pretty awful. Not much in the way of adjustment, and makes your return edges very prone to cracking. There's a reason it isn't required to be used at any level of accuracy. There's some info about it here and I know Joseph sells the brackets and has some info in his sales thread (as do a few other suppliers), but if you're going to ever troop in this armor, or if you fall outside the "standard" stormtrooper body size/shape, I would consider using the much more popular method of elastic and line 24 snaps (even if you add non-functioning screws to simulate the look of the original brackets).

Hope that helps!

• Like 1