Looking to become a Trooper

Olof

Hello;

Very interested in becoming a Trooper and joining the 501st.

Reading through the board it appears that RS is the way to go when purchasing a suit.  Looking for some insight on options and what's the preference, given the wealth of information.

1.  ABS vs PVC

2. New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back
3. Is there anything else I need to consider that would not be included in the offering

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Hi Olof  welcome to FISD. Glad to read you're on the way of becoming an Imperial Stormtrooper.

You may want to check the following forum sections that can be usefull. 

Types of armor

Differences between  Ep 4,5 ,6 Armor

cheers.  :salute:

• Like 1

Hello and welcome aboard, there is not a lot of difference between ANH Stunt / Hero and ESB, with a few things swapped out you could do all 3 versions, which many have.

Many purchase RS and are happy with them.

Hope to see BBB photos from you in the not too distant future

Good luck

1 hour ago, Olof said:

Hello;

Very interested in becoming a Trooper and joining the 501st.

Reading through the board it appears that RS is the way to go when purchasing a suit.  Looking for some insight on options and what's the preference, given the wealth of information.

1.  ABS vs PVC

2. New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back
3. Is there anything else I need to consider that would not be included in the offering

Thanks for your help

Heyhey and welcome!

I definitely would not say definitively that "RS is the way to go" - they're one of several excellent options, but far from the end of the discussion, especially if you live outside of the UK and plan to troop frequently in your suit. You're definitely paying extra for the name, "lineage", and shipping. As to the ABS vs PVS debate, ABS armor is more accurate to the films and by far the most popular material currently, though it can yellow from UV unlike PVC. If you go RS, there are several threads floating around with info on what changes will be required before approval and higher level submission.
ANH-Stunt is also by far the most popular TK variant, but there is something to be said for ESB (mine is growing on me and it's the 40th Anniversary!).

You'll need all of your soft goods most likely, so have a look around at the vetted vendors and we can always make suggestions as well. I prefer to get my boots from Imperial Boots, holster and neckseal from Darman's Props, canvas belt from Imperial Issue, and I wear a Nike Pro compression suit with thin running gloves for trooping. They make a resin blaster, but I love my rubber blaster for trooping - check out Praetorian and Hellhounds if interested.

Hope that info helps!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 3

Welcome to FISD! Body type plays a large part in the selection process, there are armors that are better suited for "husky" and taller troopers as well as "aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper" versions. Ask questions before you buy, you wallet will thank you.

Looking forward to a BBB day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTM said:

Welcome to FISD! Body type plays a large part in the selection process, there are armors that are better suited for "husky" and taller troopers as well as "aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper" versions. Ask questions before you buy, you wallet will thank you.

Looking forward to a BBB day!

Ooooooh, also this - 100%. RS is built to fit "trooper-sized" people - mesomorphic body styles about 5'11" and about 170lbs. If you fall super far outside that, you'll be shimming or trimming and some kits are much easier than others to do so (Anovos is pretty much a no go with shimming for example). Research, research, research. 

Edited by TheRascalKing

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome fellow new recruit.

I am perhaps just a few months ahead of you.

I did a lot of research and I’ll admit nearly made a purchase mistake.

I settled on ESB as I prefer the holster hand guards and helmet differences better. Also, I chose ABS as it’s more screen realistic on weight, shape and color. Plus I’m in plastics and I know it’s more durable

I chose to go with RS Propmasters. It’s not the cheapest route for acquiring armor. I advise choosing whatever method suits your tastes and budget... yet I purchased the fully finished commission ESB armor and soft parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk