RSprop - ANH Stunt full commision - PVC - Modify questions.

DennisZaan

Hi All,

Let me introduce myself, i am Dennis Zaan from The Netherlands, almost ready to serve the empire ;)

I am a Star Wars fan since i was just a little boy.

And also me and my dad thick as thieves when it comes to Star Wars. Unfortunately my dad past away a month ago, 2 days after the Prop came in :(

Too bad he could not see me wear the Prop.

So that's also a reason i want to make the prop perfect as possible.

Now i have received my full commission of a Stormtrooper ANH Stunt, i know that the prop should be ready to wear but still i have to do some mods to make it movie like before trying to enter the legion.

now i have some questions regarding the prop.

1. What kind of solution can i safely use for removing old glue and for de-greasing it? Reason why i ask this is that the strip let loose (see picture) after wearing it one time, the glue you see on the picture is the glue being used by RSpropmasters not sure about the solution used. I am a beginner at this so i will be using magnets and E6000 glue for re-attaching it.

thumbnail_IMG_9547.jpg.3171271f794550c3a7835c0f4af761ef.jpg

2. What kind of material can i use for the Vocal (Mouth piece at the back)? (see picture)

thumbnail_IMG_9548.jpg.a45465ee6a3399db2f0173cbce35b5b7.jpg

3.  I want to re-attach the clip for the lower leg piece that came loose after wearing it one time and maybe use a thicker elastic.

What kind of elastic can i the best?

thumbnail_image1.jpg.c6f9325c9231ec7b1356173f58cb6b25.jpgthumbnail_image0.jpg.2cb5e36f0a0029c1c91f5cc5d5a6f37d.jpg

Hopefully you can answers my questions, and sorry upfront if my English is not that great. :)

PS. reason why i have not send it back to RSpropmaster is because i want to learn to repair it myself and not wait a long time before receiving it back.

Kind regards,

Dennis Zaan

Edited by DennisZaan
Forgot to mention PVC in subject.
  • Like 1

Hi Dennis,

A future Garrison brother here of Dutch Garrison! 

At first my condolences with the loss of your father. Sad to hear he will never got to see you in full Stormtrooper armor. 

But we can help you out here to make him proud!

I have a RS Propmasters PVC commission myself for 2 years now,  but never had an issue with it after wearing it several times.

I'm not sure what glue they use, but I would advice you to get in contact with the costumer service of RS and let them know abouth your problem.

They are very kind and 'I'm quite sure they are going to help you out with this one. I know you want to repair it yourself, but the armor commission didn't come cheap....and trooping is mostly on hold so enough time for repair.

The material behind  the teeth most troopers use is called mesh. I use screenmesh  (raam hor in Dutch) in all my helmets. I can send you some if you want.

The elastic in the shins in my RS do not have really have a function.  The shins closes like a clamshell around my lower legs but it's screen acurate and a must for higher levels of aproval here on FISD.

I hope to welcome you soon in our Garrison! 

Edited by Darthmarses
  • Like 1

Does the Glue feel hard or soft if you scratch it with a blade. If it is soft it may well be E6000, but if it is hard like resin, then it is probably CA glue also known as Super Glue.

CA glue doesn't stick well to CA glue so you might need to try and sand it down a bit then thoroughly clean the surfaces with mentholated spirits or similar.

Definitely reach out to RS and ask as mentioned above by Marcel, their customer service it very good.

• Like 1

RS props use super glue to build their armour ( c.a. Glue) sand the glue areas down with medium sandpaper until smooth and re glue using whatever you prefer . But for speed use super glue . 

• Like 2

On 9/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, Darthmarses said:

Hi Dennis,

A future Garrison brother here of Dutch Garrison! 

At first my condolences with the loss of your father. Sad to hear he will never got to see you in full Stormtrooper armor. 

But we can help you out here to make him proud!

I have a RS Propmasters PVC commission myself for 2 years now,  but never had an issue with it after wearing it several times.

I'm not sure what glue they use, but I would advice you to get in contact with the costumer service of RS and let them know abouth your problem.

They are very kind and 'I'm quite sure they are going to help you out with this one. I know you want to repair it yourself, but the armor commission didn't come cheap....and trooping is mostly on hold so enough time for repair.

The material behind  the teeth most troopers use is called mesh. I use screenmesh  (raam hor in Dutch) in all my helmets. I can send you some if you want.

The elastic in the shins in my RS do not have really have a function.  The shins closes like a clamshell around my lower legs but it's screen acurate and a must for higher levels of aproval here on FISD.

I hope to welcome you soon in our Garrison! 

Thanks marcel for the condolences and for the advice, i will first contact RSpropmasters before eventually repairing it myself.

If you can send me some "Raam hor" that would be great! will send you the address in a private message. :duim:

10 hours ago, Rob .T . said:

RS props use super glue to build their armour ( c.a. Glue) sand the glue areas down with medium sandpaper until smooth and re glue using whatever you prefer . But for speed use super glue . 

@Rob .T .Thanks for the tips! will first contact RSpropmasters to give them a heads up.

@Sly11 Its hard, so i think it is Super glue. I allready tried with E6000 but offcourse it became loose, stupid of me not think about it that E6000 won't work on a surface with super glue and grease. :blink: Rookie action...

2 hours ago, DennisZaan said:

@Rob .T .Thanks for the tips! will first contact RSpropmasters to give them a heads up.

@Sly11 Its hard, so i think it is Super glue. I allready tried with E6000 but offcourse it became loose, stupid of me not think about it that E6000 won't work on a surface with super glue and grease. :blink: Rookie action...

Not stupid at all, we all learn from experience, you have learnt something new and one day you will help someone with the same problem :)

I still learn things here all the time and Ive been around for 6 years, it's why this community is so great. Troopers helping troopers.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, Darthmarses said:

Just a heads up - the use of elastic and hooks for closure of the shins is only an accuracy thing and not required for any level of approval. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TheSwede said:

Just a heads up - the use of elastic and hooks for closure of the shins is only an accuracy thing and not required for any level of approval. 

My bad! Sorry, didn't know this.

Hey Dennis, sorry to hear of your father's passing. 

Regarding the closure and glue, regardless if it's super CA glue just use some mild sand paper (400 grit) on the areas where glue once existed. Wipe down and reapply the CA or apply E6000, the key is ensure you're giving the glue time to cure properly ( CA 30min, E6000 48+hrs). 

Frown mesh is similar to a heavy household version window screen material. 

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Some have had success removing super glue by soaking in a warm salt bath, or placing in the freezer, depends how much glue and how long it has been since applied, may be worth trying one of those.

• Like 1

Hey Dennis, sorry to hear of your father's passing. 
Regarding the closure and glue, regardless if it's super CA glue just use some mild sand paper (400 grit) on the areas where glue once existed. Wipe down and reapply the CA or apply E6000, the key is ensure you're giving the glue time to cure properly ( CA 30min, E6000 48+hrs). 

Frown mesh is similar to a heavy household version window screen material. 

Hope this helps

Ok, wil try it. Will give an update soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some have had success removing super glue by soaking in a warm salt bath, or placing in the freezer, depends how much glue and how long it has been since applied, may be worth trying one of those.

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ok, so i used some alcohol and bought a dremel tool to carefully remove the old glue and it worked! ive applied some E6000 and will not let it rest for 48 hours.
Also recieved and applied some screen mesh “raam hor” for the mouth piece from marcel (Darthmarcess) big thumbs up for everybody and especially marcel for helping me along
the way of making this prop legion ready! See pics for result.

ee448a07a534d14e96988ed8ec3e1115.jpg

d5d1cc5024905a643b5d7142e35ed2cb.jpg
2722d744596e2159d9b9ae290ee30f55.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

• Like 2

So, after some repair jobs with the great help of [mention]Darthmarses [/mention]and everybody else here i am still in doubt about the backside, i got a feeling that i need to lift the leg belt way to high up my stomach to get a good view and that the crotch is too low.

See pictures.

fb00cc57da6623cedaaf7ee603e17c61.jpg&key=41cc483ca9e2811c9a6174711cd1beafa69c4d6553cef3fbd04fd55342a3ce9a

02be291a5d8a41f16b871a32d18ce630.jpg&key=85c5a94927670a527b116755d1b347940dffd91d98496629c032525fe5326aa0

c51842b6c6605b4d7fbfab3f2d926499.jpg&key=fe926ced31360882d0de63a20a94419349a9de7167fa616eb6fd5d7d79a2aa28

Ps. My wife wasn’t home and and had trouble getting my other arm armor on.

20 hours ago, DennisZaan said:

Maybe an idea to shorten the crotch strap?

Hi Dennis,

What I would do is to add a new Snap to the elastic where I need to shorten it.  I usually install a couple. 

2jk9ejC.jpg?1

Hope this can help.  Cheers.  :salute:

• Like 1

Hi Dennis,

What I would do is to add a new Snap to the elastic where I need to shorten it.  I usually install a couple. 

2jk9ejC.jpg?1&key=181fe056f986a5929e68b8b1103cbd13b67160a6398bdf05fc78be3bf525506d

Hope this can help.  Cheers.  :salute:

Didnt thought of that! Will do that this evening...

• Like 1

I have been to the shop but cannot find the correct snaps for the crotch. I think these are Newey snaps, but they are hard to find. Any tips on were to get these are welcome.
I think these snaps are between 12 and 13mm.
See picture.59d45297675da90a5f01b46b3167c00b.jpg

They aren't Newey snaps , those haven't been made for decades . Why not just get in touch with RS and ask for a couple of new snaps ? Although to be honest, modifying the crotch strap won't help your problem at all , it really doesn't do anything . 

• Like 1

They aren't Newey snaps , those haven't been made for decades . Why not just get in touch with RS and ask for a couple of new snaps ? Although to be honest, modifying the crotch strap won't help your problem at all , it really doesn't do anything . 

Hi rob, i already contacted RS Today by mail. But i thought that if maybe i shorten te strap the backside it connected better because of the thigh pieces being way too high up my but with almost no space.

I will put the put back on tomorrow with the help of my wife and take some pictures.

You may be able to bring the AB/Cod section up a little to give you some more room at the top of the thighs. On the rear it looks like the thighs are at different heights which you may be able to adjust. With your height and the size of the armor you are just on the limits of minimum size so tweaking the strapping will take some time to get everything sitting just right. You may even need to trim a little off the top of the thighs to give you more room, BUT I would definitely try to adjust your AB first.

How is your movement walking?

• Like 1