New Member from Azusa

AndrewMendez

Hi all,

I created this account several months ago and started doing a lot of digging. Since then, I ordered an RS Propmasters kit and officially had my BBB Day. 

With COVID and the lack of build parties, I really haven't worked on anything with the exception of some minor trimming. I have just about all of the tools required for it.

Looking forward to getting it completed.

Edited by AndrewMendez
  • Like 2

Several months ago, aka a year! Haha, no worries man. I too lurked for a while actually before even creating an account. Congrats on your RS purchase; you’re gonna love it! Continue with your research, and post lots of photos and questions on a build thread, and you’ll be just fine. I have a resource link in my forum signature below which might be of help to you. =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome aboard, great to hear you have been doing your research. There are many of us waiting the the wings to guide and offer feedback so when you have your BBB post up a build thread, good luck looking forward to seeing the progress

Hi Andrew, glad to hear your armour has arrived and you are gearing up for your build.

Ask plenty of questions and you are guaranteed to get the right advice and support, welcome aboard.

Heyhey! Welcome to the finest detachment in the Legion!

Between here and the SCG Imperial Recruit's FB page, looks like you're in all the right places! Let us know how we can support you!

Hi all, 

A few questions...

I was lucky enough to attend a Build Party with TKMama a few weeks ago. She (and another members whose name I totally forgot) assisted greatly with me figuring things out and showing me precisely where to cut. As mentioned, I have an RS Propmasters kit. I am following along on their "Building a Storm Trooper" series on YouTube which is also super helpful.

I am currently working on the Right Bicep and have a few questions.

The seams aren't a perfect fit of course from the trimming. I have put 120 grit sand paper on a block of wood and have used it to get it fairly close. My question is....

How smooth should they "butt up" to each other?

Second question. I know that the top section doesn't really show as it is hidden under the shoulder bell. Question though... The inside section sticks out about 1/4" above the exterior side when the bottoms are even. Is that correct with my kit?
Working on reducing the photo size to post a photo to get it under 512 kb.

• Like 1

To answer your first question, because a cover strip goes over the top of the seam, it wont matter so much how close they butt up as long as they are reasonably good.

2nd question, many kits have this as uneven. Align the bottoms of those and not the tops. Cut an angle at that end of the cover strip to account for the difference in height of each half if that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewMendez said:

I would recommend using a hosting site like Imgur, it let’s you upload most if not all sizes:salute:

12 hours ago, AndrewMendez said:

I was lucky enough to attend a Build Party with TKMama a few weeks ago.

The seams aren't a perfect fit of course from the trimming. I have put 120 grit sand paper on a block of wood and have used it to get it fairly close. My question is....

How smooth should they "butt up" to each other?

Second question. I know that the top section doesn't really show as it is hidden under the shoulder bell. Question though... The inside section sticks out about 1/4" above the exterior side when the bottoms are even. Is that correct with my kit?

Ingrid is awesome and an OG :P

The straighter you get the edges, the easier they will be to glue, and I highly recommend using an underside cover strip as well to help. A belt sander does a killer job if you have access to one, but otherwise sanding blocks or a sheet on a level surface like you said should work. Doesn't need to be perfect with the coverstrip on top, but helps.

The biceps often don't line up and Sly is right on - for all the pieces, I like to align what is most visible. For the arms, align at the elbows, and legs at the knees - you can usually trim them even at the ankle, top of thigh, top of bicep, and wrist (no return edge anyways). It's one of the most common things I see messed up (and arms/biceps on the wrong sides). 

Also, +1 for imgur.

Hey! I'm still a pretty green member of the DSG and live up in Flagstaff. If you need help with anything, feel free to message me. We've got some knowledgeable TKs up here, but one person I might recommend you trying to get in contact with is Mike Culp (TK 1636) I believe you are watching his youtube tutorials, but I've been told he still does one-on-one building sessions. He's basically the garrison's most expert armor builder.

I hope to see pics of your armor soon!