Etsy ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Kit

Sooperglue

Hello,

This is my first post here and I wanted to get y'all's opinions on this kit from Etsy. From what I can tell, the armor is made of ABS plastic, 501st approvable, UV resistant, and ANH stunt compliant. It seems to have good reviews and looks to be of medium quality, especially for an entry/starter build kit. I know it is recommended that first time users buy from sources such as WTF and have pre- assembled kits, but I'm a broke college student that can't afford such high quality producers. I also want to have the experience of assembling my own kit for future builds.

Here's the link:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/698946065/star-wars-stormtrooper-armor-kit-glossy?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

Thank you for being awesome!

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Quite a few threads on this forum about recasted armor 

I've read this article as well as the recommended vendors list, would this vendor be considered a recaster? It says they casted it from their own suit of armor and it is a "2nd Generation" cast.  It says it was recast from an original 1977 ANH Screen Worn suit, but many vendors have done that. Since it's from the original and not someone else's work, would this be okay?

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Sooperglue said:

I've read this article as well as the recommended vendors list, would this vendor be considered a recaster? It says they casted it from their own suit of armor and it is a "2nd Generation" cast.  It says it was recast from an original 1977 ANH Screen Worn suit, but many vendors have done that. Since it's from the original and not someone else's work, would this be okay?

Thank you!

Recasting if frowned upon although we can't tell you what to buy, he has recasted others work.

I would advise you sign up to your local garrison forums and speak with your GML (garrison membership liaison) as they will be the one ultimately approving your armor.

45 minutes ago, Sooperglue said:

Okay, I'll avoid this seller and contact my GML

That's in regards to using recasted armor ;) Any armor on the "vetted sellers" list can quite easily become 501st approved if build right.

Unfortunately this is not one of the cheapest hobbies to get into especially if seeking 501st approval. 

11 hours ago, Sooperglue said:

Thank you!

As far as I am aware only 2 vendors are selling suits cast from screen used, one ANH stunt and one ROTJ.  The above vender is not one of them.

The history of most armour available gets murky fast and there are places you can find this out if it interests you.  But you don't need to.

The best best is generally to have a look at the recommended list, speak to your GML and see what people you will be trooping with have.  You'll probably get good recommendations for vendors that serve where you live and those recommendations would be better than me in the UK recommending anything.  Just be sure to mention if you wish to got to EIB or Centurion as that can be easier with some armours than others, but for the most part most common armour will have no problems there if you build it with that in mind.

Definitely take Glen’s advice on this. Anybody can say anything on Etsy or eBay, but the truth lies with the vetted sellers thread. Be aware, too, that FISD staff have a standard of not showing favoritism towards any one particular armor maker, so you’ll need to research on the forum then ask specific questions regarding your top choices.

RS and CFO are the two vendors who casted from original screen-used suits, so they would be considered the most accurate and closest to screen-used. Personally I would love to get my hands on an RS. Different makers size their suits differently, so shorter, or heavier builders might need different kits, which is why there are multiple vendors out there.

I’ve been working on an ATA suit, which is about as cheap as you can get on the vetted list. Check them out (Facebook) since you’re on a tight budget, and you may also find my build thread helpful, as I took photos of all the pieces raw and untrimmed. You’ll get an idea of exactly what you’d receive in the big brown box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/23/2020 at 9:56 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

Definitely take Glen’s advice on this. Anybody can say anything on Etsy or eBay, but the truth lies with the vetted sellers thread. Be aware, too, that FISD staff have a standard of not showing favoritism towards any one particular armor maker, so you’ll need to research on the forum then ask specific questions regarding your top choices.

RS and CFO are the two vendors who casted from original screen-used suits, so they would be considered the most accurate and closest to screen-used. Personally I would love to get my hands on an RS. Different makers size their suits differently, so shorter, or heavier builders might need different kits, which is why there are multiple vendors out there.

I’ve been working on an ATA suit, which is about as cheap as you can get on the vetted list. Check them out (Facebook) since you’re on a tight budget, and you may also find my build thread helpful, as I took photos of all the pieces raw and untrimmed. You’ll get an idea of exactly what you’d receive in the big brown box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic, I'll definitely take a look.

• Like 1