New Recruit Checking In

I’ve wanted to dedicate my life to the 501st since I could remember. 

I have a few questions and don’t really know how to navigate through the barracks to find my footing. I read up on how to choose armors and I’ve found that there is no best armor, I just want to be camera ready with the squad and join rank ASAP! Is there one armor that is preferred over others? And if I were to buy armor and they give a call to the 501st to be extras, Do they upgrade your preexisting armor to be up-to-date? I’m a dream I know, I’ve got to grind to gain rank, but I’m just excited to be apart of this community.  Don’t bash me too hard, I can’t take it, I just wanted more insight before I make a purchase and needed my fellow brethren’s input. 
I have seen the forum on good places to look, I just wondered where everyone’s head was on a consensus of an overall place to buy armor. 

Hello and welcome, armor choice is personal, comes down to price, location, longevity, screen accuracy, some are more accurate than others which you pay for.

LFL requests do not come in very often, but some garrisons get a lot more than others, if you haven't already sign up to your local garrison forums, you can find herehttps://www.501st.com/members/displayUnits.php

It is up to you to look after your own armor and any updates, LFL has nothing to do with members armor.

LFL has final say over which member/armor will be used for events. Building to L3 Centurion will make your armor more screen accurate which may give you a greater chance of being picked but that's not guaranteed.

If you haven't yet look through the CRL's (costume reference gallery) https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:FISD_CRL

Research is the key to this hobby, you can never research enough, good luck with your decision.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Unit 47 said:

Don’t bash me too hard, I can’t take it, I just wanted more insight before I make a purchase and needed my fellow brethren’s input. 

Hi Kaleb, welcome to FISD. Glad to read you're in the way of becoming part of the 501st Legion as an Imperial  Stormtrooper .

We are here to help , not to bash :laugh1:, feel free of ask whatever you need. as glen pointed, research is the clue and I would add "...Ask before invest any coin"  

:salute:

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies!!
I was looking on the forums to find a good sight to begin my search,  it seems that as I scroll through the approved lists, I can’t pull up a website or the proper url and fall into the lines of scammers. I’ve seen that there are two members off the FISD list that build kits for others, and I emailed one a minute or two ago, but Walt has no contact info to inquire. 
Ideally, I’d like to get as close to realistic as possible and I’d like for it to be durable for years to come and I’d only like 1 TK to build and make it better and better. Still navigating through the forums to find approved sights, but I’m still worried of the scams out there. 

So my first steps should be to sign up to my local garrison, I wasn’t sure, last thing I want to do is sign up and they’re like cadet where’s your armor? Haha, I’d like to point out that the level of respect and help is outstanding! Thank you for the help!

15 minutes ago, Unit 47 said:

So my first steps should be to sign up to my local garrison, I wasn’t sure, last thing I want to do is sign up and they’re like cadet where’s your armor? Haha, I’d like to point out that the level of respect and help is outstanding! Thank you for the help!

Definitely locate your local garrison website and sign up on the forums. You won't have access to their 501st members area until you complete your armor and are approved, but you should have access to announcements about build parties and other social events, although during this time it may be quite limited. There may even be members nearby that can lend assistance if need be. Its a good way to get to know some of the folks you will be trooping with.

I’ve located my local garrison, the Southern California Garrison, Los Angeles Squad, I tried applying to find I needed armor.. which I don’t have, do I need to have armor first in order to apply for the garrison? I emailed two of the emails I found relating to the garrison, but maybe I’m too eager to wait. I hope I’m applying to the correct address :laugh1:

Hi Kaleb and welcome.  I'm still a newbie here myself, just received my ATA armor a couple weeks ago, so my build is still in it's infancy.  Check out all the pinned threads in the "Getting Started" section, but I found the following particularly valuable when I started my research.

Acronyms are widely used here on FISD and this thread is super useful for understanding them:

As far as armor makers, the following thread is a must read.  You really can't go wrong if you stick to the vendors on this list.  And yes, I did read all 57 pages! :shok::laugh1: As mentioned above, research is key.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hey thank you! I was really leaning on ATA as well, they got back to me within a day. As well as I did join the LA Squad on FB and those guys are so nice made me feel right at home in their barracks. Today I’m going to talk to them about the companies they went through for armor and what their process was. Good luck on your build and I’ll be checking in to see your progress! 

• Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb Unit 47:

Hello guys, I can’t navigate through to understand the difference between hero and stunt armor? 

If you compare this https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_hero to this https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt you notice that there are differences. (for example: helmet has slightly different shape, a different frown, different ear part design and handplates are different).

3 hours ago, Unit 47 said:

Hello guys, I can’t navigate through to understand the difference between hero and stunt armor? 

A nice spreadsheet showing the differences https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tEVteIreh6AHMogW010cuH_Bf8TBfU6/view

Hey there Trooper,

Welcome to the FISD. :-)

To give you a really good head start, I’d start by reading through this: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-helmets-sub-submenu.htm

This talks in detail about how the original suits were designed, created and used on screen. It runs through quirks of the armour and also the differences between “stunt” and “hero”. This is all based on the original, screen used source material. In my view, the source material is your best place to start.

After that, you’ll have a better understanding of what the armour should be and look like, and this might help your decision on an armour vendor. :-)

Best wishes
Dan

• Like 1