SB_Sneetch's AM 4.5 ANH Build

SB_Sneetch

I just placed an order for an AM 4.5 kit and I am full of competing emotions!   I am not convinced I am going to be able to do this, yet guess that is a good place to be on the start of my journey.   No idea how long this build will take as a one person job, yet I also don't have any specific deadlines I am attempting to drive towards at this time.   Just looking forward to the process and I am sure I will be asking for guidance along the way.   Settle in as this will for sure be a wild ride.  

Now excuse me while I go :vomit-into-the-toilet:

• Like 1

Worry not; you’ll have tons of help here on FISD, and as you allude to, it’s not a race. And even if it were, it’s a marathon, not a sprint! Post up lots of photos and questions, and you’ll be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Amazing News Chris!!! :peace:. All of us experienced the same feelings but you're not alone in this journey, FISD is here to help.

Meanwhile your kit arrives you can browse the forum, watch some youtube videos about TK amor building process that can be  so useful .

Looking forward for your BBB day photos.

:salute:

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement and support.

Two immediate questions I am wondering after reviewing the TK Supply List:

1.  For the velcro (1" & 2" black and white), is that adhesive backed or non-adhesive backed?
  2. What general size(s) are beneficial for the small plastic containers?  Are they to separate the armor into sections, just keeping other supplies together, all the above and more?

I have assumptions, yet as the phrase goes, it is not good to assume.  Thanks! 

34 minutes ago, SB_Sneetch said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement and support.

Two immediate questions I am wondering after reviewing the TK Supply List:

1.  For the velcro (1" & 2" black and white), is that adhesive backed or non-adhesive backed?
  2. What general size(s) are beneficial for the small plastic containers?  Are they to separate the armor into sections, just keeping other supplies together, all the above and more?

I have assumptions, yet as the phrase goes, it is not good to assume.  Thanks! 

Regarding the Velcro, it depends on where you are using it. I only used Velcro on my armor for shin closure and to mount padding and electronics in my bucket. In these cases, they were self-adhesive. I used a 3" Velcro when I sewed my belt and it was non-adhesive, as the sewing machine needle can gum up while sewing on adhesive backed Velcro. The small plastic containers will be for sorting small bits and materials as well as small tools.

4 hours ago, SB_Sneetch said:

Ok, good deal, sounds like I will hold on acquiring any velcro until I have a better how and where I would be using it.   The clarity on the containers helps as well and can always use those to help organize my life, will get some ordered.

Hi, most troopers use Snap system for armor building. take a look to some of the building threads to have an idea of how its works.

Cheers.  :salute:

here is an example

I find with snaps that every time up put your armor on it is in the same positions but using velcro you won't necessarily have everything in the same spots. 

A nice reference, many using double snaps

R63O0di.jpg&key=bacbc4557a89b597b8008151

I received my package of Tandy Line 24 snaps today and they are an 'antique nickel plate' which looked good in the picture, yet IRL they appear to be quite dark and expect as long as they are hidden or painted, no harm no foul.   Yet for those are need to be shown unpainted, I am guessing I will need the 'nickel plate' version for those... True?

What I thought I was getting

YMesmse.png

What I received

L8KmGzs.jpg

What I think I need

XCgmMCB.png

Correct you will need the silver/nickel for the detail specific outer snaps, cod and single upper ab. No requirements as to what you use inside.

• Like 1

It has arrived!!  And man, I was expecting to be overwhelmed but I still was not prepared.   While I sorted things out and ‘tried on’ a few pieces, I mainly spent the rest of the day being intimidated by it.    Today however I have started to cut my teeth on my bucket, both figuratively and literally.   I have cut out the middle two so far and wondering if that is good or if additional sanding is required to lessen the edges.   Thoughts?

QgQ1N31.jpgDo3PnCL.jpg

YNUSS3I.jpg

Oh happy days, nothing better than a BBB, the absolute joy and excitement, then the sheer panic sets in :laugh1:

When ever in doubt head to the gallery section, lots of great references there https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Looking forward to seeing the progress, good luck

I think I am ready to make my first adjustment cut and want to clarify any reduction should be equal so one half isn’t ‘off balance’.  

In the pic below the closest center mark (short line) is where I believe my edges should be for adding the cover strips.  My thought is to cut only 50% of the extra at this point so I can do another fit test.   Does that sound about right or any last advice before there is no turning back?

Y3YWrdD.jpg

• Like 1

information overload and fear of making a mistake has set in.  :)   So I decided to give some attention to comms and working on building a TK Talkie.   After some mistakes were made, I think I have it understood, so going to build another clean one today. 

I have not come across that one.  Reading now, thanks!

Definitely follow AJ’s lead. I even compiled a PDF of his thread and posted the link in one of the last comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my comms working.   The TK Talkie is really awesome.   It is also very powerful to have both mic and up to 12 actions/sounds from 2 control gloves of 3 buttons each.    I even designed my own box for the electronics since I wanted to have all the connections on one side.  

mhr786U.jpg

I have found using any switches in the gloves is to make sure wires are held tight as they can break when your fingers move, adding some E6000 or hot glue to the wires and connection can help them last a bit longer.

Agreed.  I have hot glue on the nack of the button board and will be mounting that to some elastic on the fingers and planning on wrist strap to also help relieve pressure.   Even if that all fails i would still have my mic.  Thanks for calling it out as I could have easily missed it.  

• Like 1