Any way to do a live chat for newbies?

I’ve been doing my research and thought of something.  Might this forum Support any way to host a Live Chat session from time to time with some of your more experienced members?  I don’t know what you all may think about such and idea.

Thanks to everyone who has been so nice, supportive and friendly, BTW!

• Like 2

A lot of units are experimenting with Discord, and FISD has created a test environment as well.  It's really just a matter of getting the Legion's blessing is my understanding.

7 minutes ago, tarok said:

What is it you’re wanting help with specifically though?

Ive already asked several questions and have several quick replies.  Everyone has been quite helpful and friendly!  It's not that they don't get answered in time, its just an idea that if we had several people logged in together, a thorough Q&A session could be helpful.  Maybe just faster and get to learn from other's great questions.

Nothing like going to class, professor!

Edited by Imperial Dentist

It's a little hard to organize with many of our members in different time zones, perhaps a one off may work, but as you have found out there are some regulars across different time zones that normally can answer specific questions quite quickly ;) 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

It's a little hard to organize with many of our members in different time zones, perhaps a one off may work, but as you have found out there are some regulars across different time zones that normally can answer specific questions quite quickly ;) 

I can certainly understand and appreciate the challenges of that.  Just thought I'd inquire about it.

So if we get enough interest for this type of thing, I'm all for it but would like to do a 1 off trial. initially. We need a benchmark to gauge ongoing viability.

As has been mentioned, time zones are the real issue to overcome, but with some planning, I'm sure we can do it.

I'll formulate a basic plan, choose a platform like Zoom so we can have video chat and work out a time frame.

I will keep you guys posted.

• Like 1

Only initial ideas so far but here are some thoughts.

Ideal numbers: 2 experts (one must be staff to chair the chat, can both be staff)

Number of New members with questions in the live chat: (4 -6) min/max too many or to few and it gets to difficult or isn't worth the time and effort.

Time Frame: based on platform used 45 minutes - 1 hour.

Questions: must have your top need to know questions submitted 3 days before the event. limit of 2 questions submitted by each participant. Conversation would drive the rest of the Q and A

Time zones: this is the toughest of all and would require the most planning based on country the new members were in and the staff/experts.

• Like 3

FWIW, I thought I saw an email about this but...you don't have to turn your camera on.  Heck, for most of my work calls (Zoom, Teams, Chime, Bluejeans, Webex, whatev) I never turn my camera on.

Nothing says we need cameras on but that can be up to the individual certainly.

Some prefer the visual contact side, others don't. For me, I'm happy either way.

Great dialogue going!  Thanks for looking into putting something together.  I never really envisioned a face to face Zoom meeting or something more visual, just a chat text session.  But the visual meeting is more up to current technology!  So, why not???  

Just an aside, there seems to be a lot of good resources here if the user spends the time and effort to sift through years of  conversation threads.  Many, I’m finding are years old and have just suddenly died off.  Don’t know how successful they may be to bring back to life after what may be years ago.   Some of the technology related items may be out of date and old stuff now...

On 9/20/2020 at 5:45 AM, Imperial Dentist said:

Just an aside, there seems to be a lot of good resources here if the user spends the time and effort to sift through years of  conversation threads.  Many, I’m finding are years old and have just suddenly died off.  Don’t know how successful they may be to bring back to life after what may be years ago.   Some of the technology related items may be out of date and old stuff now...

We are currently in a restoration phase for many of the threads that suffered the Photobucket debacle a few years back. We generally leave plenty of old threads active because it is our history and there is plenty to learn about where we came from.

Some threads that are completely out of date do get archived but as you can imagine, this is a massive task..

Not sure if you have access to this thread but this is where you can play a part in helping with resto and clean up efforts.

• 3 weeks later...
Great dialogue going!  Thanks for looking into putting something together.  I never really envisioned a face to face Zoom meeting or something more visual, just a chat text session.  But the visual meeting is more up to current technology!  So, why not???  

I do like this.

I’ve often thought that while I appreciate the quick responses, sometimes I want to see a picture or angle of a photo already on the site. So I’ve turned to YouTube. But be warned YouTube has a lot of crap in it too.

I have spent weeks and countless hours now doing research in the forums. There’s A LOT of info here. Perhaps too much to a fault.

That being said. My suggestion would be to find a buddy willing to to help (and you’ll find a lot). Someone close to your own garrison preferably. Else pick on a couple of the expert posters. Check out their ancient threads and see their builds. What did the learn? Etc.

I’m starting out too yet, I would advise against a closed group of newbies relearning things which can be easily taught or passed down.

Few guys I like a lot so far, (in no order, and this is MY personal opinion cause they suit me well), Sly, UKsWrath, Firedog, Cableguy, Justjoseph63, TKSpartan... super super helpful.

I think the idea of the zoom and or small newbie group to share as we go along is fantastic!! My add to the suggestion would be to have these kinds of pro leaders to ensure we don’t get too far down the wrong path.

I would hate to see anyone devote time and money to prepare for GML photos to only get frustrated or discouraged in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TK91977 said:

I’ve often thought that while I appreciate the quick responses, sometimes I want to see a picture or angle of a photo already on the site. So I’ve turned to YouTube. But be warned YouTube has a lot of crap in it too.

You can also use our gallery section, many miss it due to it's location on mobile/tapatalk, here is the link https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/ Also for ESB the gallery link is here https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/25-esb-tk-reference/

• Like 1