TK-42134's AM WIP

TK-42134

REALLY nice job, Mark!  Looking at the left thigh bottom it appears that you are heading for Centurion! WOO-HOO!  Keep it up, brother...

QAZ0PQU.jpg?1

• Like 1

I finally got all the strips glued on my limbs. It was something of a challenge, as I had to measure and cut the strips from sheets, and I had never done that before. Here’s my shins.a3a5afa81bf73409f23e16347da89e95.jpg
00efc79c742aaf143a90438e85e1cd21.jpg
I plan on gluing the Sniper knee on tonight, as well as rivet the Knee packs on my thigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, TKSpartan said:

Some references for you Mark.

hDOHSZh.jpg   1zonDz3.jpg   tMd4kxn.jpg   

qCTzKbR.jpg   trkmLtl.jpg?1  

io59fiw.jpg

Thank you TKSpartan. I saw in a video that someone used the cap of the thermal detonator to cut the curved edges of the knee packs. Is that an accurate way of doing that?

Edited by TK-42134

52 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

Thank you TKSpartan. I saw in a video that someone used the cap of the thermal detonator to cut the curved edges of the knee packs. Is that an accurate way of doing that?

The references (left bellow) show that they are a bit straight in the center , you can use the Thermal Det ( Bellow right) ,of course. either way  is not a blocker in any level

XkC8crD.jpg

Closer Image

2krlfRO.jpg?1

PD. ALSO NOTE THE RIVETS POSITION

:salute:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TK-42134 said:

I finally got all the strips glued on my limbs. It was something of a challenge, as I had to measure and cut the strips from sheets, and I had never done that before. Here’s my shins.a3a5afa81bf73409f23e16347da89e95.jpg
00efc79c742aaf143a90438e85e1cd21.jpg

You may need a hot water bath to help close your shins at the rear as you have a large opening presently. Having overlap by themselves definitely helps to keep them in place. I use a heat gun but you need quite a bit of practice before attempting using a heat gun ;) 

After looking at another members AM Centurion Request I found that some work had to be done on the Knee Pack. I sanded down the top to give it more of a straight edge at the top corners.f9e29a480525f8acbb92a908fe582803.jpg
I will also have to work on removing some of the edge of my sniper knee. I am currently in the process of taping it off so I can make the cuts.

Edited by TK-42134

I am trying to emulate the reference photos above on the curve of the bottom edge. dd22cce8db3febd2a00196c3aa3d82e4.jpg
I think it still need a little more work. Any suggestions?

Trimming to the pencil line you have drawn looks pretty darned good to me.  Some were rounder than others, but I would have no issues with passing that at Centurion!

When it comes time to attach the ammo pack to the thigh I have a few suggestions if I may:

1.  Make sure that the rivets are not too close to the corners.

8N6v3sl.jpg    oIfOhkF.jpg

2.  It should not be an issue at Basic and is not specifically listed in the CRLs but traditionally for Level 3 we have required that the rear edges of ammo pack  be an equal distance from the "corners" of the ridge at the rear. 

nlwDx7l.jpg?1     SyTzqxd.jpg?1 J7iZwBU.jpg?1

3.  As for the height it sits at in the front, the majority had it either angled up, covering the front ridge completely as seen in pic 1,  just enough to cover the bottom of the ridge (pic 2) and there were a VERY few that had it lower than the ridge (pic 3).

Version 3 may pass at Basic, but for higher levels we look for the "ideal" trooper and there can be no gap.

cNO8iNN.jpg?1   zR9HVWA.jpg?1   yeypH9d.jpg

Lastly, the amount of ABS you leave above an below the boxes is up to you.  As seen below some had more, some had less.  What you have at present is just fine, and I wouldn't suggest trimming it down as it provides some strength and will help prevent any cracks.

kj3MZ7G.jpg   GKuzpeB.jpg

Hope this helps, and keep the questions and photos rolling in!

• Like 1

Good morning. Today will be a fun work day on this Stormtrooper of mine. I plan on gluing snaps into place, as well as try to finish my legs. I still have to work on removing some material from my sniper knee, but I have to re-tape the lines where I want to cut. I started fine tuning the ab buttons.667b203201fb15572c4032716595a6b2.jpg
I think I may have removed a bit too much on the bottom left side.
9cb55270fc3703601e94fa0322187668.jpg
I will work on sanding the big plate down as I feel it is still too large. I did use the diagram below but mine still seems off.38a9aacd19480adf7060b0a994d4db1f.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mark!!!

Yes, I think you can sand the big plate a little more (those buttons look great!!!).:duim:

Reference images

LCikwAm.jpg                IBE3bwY.jpg     l0xzMk7.jpg

Regarding the other one, I think that trimming the bottom part a little will solve the problem.:jc_doublethumbup:

Reference images

4mquNBR.jpg                                         y9CgV8u.jpg     58Lr8vW.jpg

You’re doing a really good job!!!:th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 2

Made some progress on my TK. I glued the back cover strips on my thighs. Got the snaps glued in the torso, drilled the hole for the cod, and put snaps in the butt plate. I trimmed the extra material from around the shoulder bridges, and put the curves on the Ammo knee. I think I will have to redo them though. When I was checking the fit, there was excess material on the sides that passed the ridge. Once the cover strips are dry on the thighs I will measure it, and cut the width so it fits the area better. 8808c2b22000f25378f5aa01b4646197.jpg
285d93e3762b33b0a2ca2b8e8e79845a.jpg
31a711e196e9555dfe8202cfc97e21c7.jpg
301c571a21d7c6eede5302eb788724f8.jpg
8d549ecdab35d524174c548849183d38.jpg
80ce4dd7c9ea1e127ba69090b56065a2.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good, I suggest to most about double snaps in high stress areas, one of those is the shoulder bells to shoulder straps, I had one fail at a troop and having a spare there allowed me to still be able to troop. It's a little more expense and work but can save you in the long run.

Saying that some with single snaps have a trouble free run as may you ;) 

Getting to the strapping and kitting up time soon, this is where you start feeling like a stormtrooper and find how restricting in can be :laugh1:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looking good, I suggest to most about double snaps in high stress areas, one of those is the shoulder bells to shoulder straps, I had one fail at a troop and having a spare there allowed me to still be able to troop. It's a little more expense and work but can save you in the long run.

Saying that some with single snaps have a trouble free run as may you ;) 

Getting to the strapping and kitting up time soon, this is where you start feeling like a stormtrooper and find how restricting in can be :laugh1:

Thanks Glen. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't wait to submit in the pre-approval section and eventually submit to my GML. My goal is to get Centurion this go around. 

• Like 2

Hello again. Time to apply snaps in the arms. I had a question before moving on to that. The front of AM biceps do not have a very good return edge to trim. When I glued them together, I left them on. As you can see in the photos below.
68b7eae331b38dae1e850829f9753754.jpg
ed4dd2d2e127f256a57b34dd7acff9d3.jpg
a462bc74b0ebb3ccb9baab240707df2f.jpg
I figured this part would be tucked under the bell, so I would just leave them as is. Would this affect higher levels as I go for them? If so I would attempt to change them.

7 hours ago, TK-42134 said:

Hello again. Time to apply snaps in the arms. I had a question before moving on to that. The front of AM biceps do not have a very good return edge to trim. When I glued them together, I left them on. As you can see in the photos below.
I figured this part would be tucked under the bell, so I would just leave them as is. Would this affect higher levels as I go for them? If so I would attempt to change them.

Shouldn't be a hold up at any level, depends how they sit on your arms though, I had to add some foam in between mine and left most of the return edges.

I would however try to angle these to match the other side as that square edge will give you some nice armor bites when moving your arms around ;) 

Screen references have no return edge at all 

gallery_12157_59_55194.jpg

Back at it again this morning. I made some adjustments to my ammo pack and installed it. I made a slight miscalculation and pre drilled the home on the thigh, when I should have marked it after putting the first rivet in, but it is what it is at this point. Here are the photos:c16844a873198299ce9f39166c399276.jpg
Left side (which faces between my knees)9c1087cb112ddcf51648588b18856ae3.jpg042ca6a023009a5edf7a4634acf61a39.jpg
Outer side.

I’m hoping since the mistake is on the inside of my knees, and will be difficult to see, it will be okay. This was no easy task, as the plastic was very rigid. I guess we will see what happens when I shoot for higher levels.

I think I will try the Sugru. Thanks for the advice. I’ve gone on to tape the area of the sniper knee that has excess material.
7a4c09eefbc145253f2cd18848cb8991.jpg

0c4c7f7ac90237ea114fd4e53ef6ff31.jpg
1435660fa534570bb5c76b0910e513b4.jpg

If you guys think it looks good, I will go ahead and remove it.

45 minutes ago, TK-42134 said:

I think I will try the Sugru. Thanks for the advice. I’ve gone on to tape the area of the sniper knee that has excess material.
f96418a94a02011ee3ce6619c34d688c.jpg
39418b17080b782faba51f739239e74c.jpg
8326e6286ac78647779bcddf8a65f56e.jpg

If you guys think it looks good, I will go ahead and remove it.

It looks good to my eyes. 

tMd4kxn.jpg   1zonDz3.jpg

• Like 1