Hello, FISD Troopers!

Toothdoc

I’ve always been a Star Wars fan ever since that summer in 1977 when I saw ANH in the theater with my family.  I was nine years old.  I can still vaguely remember talking to my younger brother in the back seat of the car after the movie about how neat the “guys in white” were!  I was hooked!  43 years later, I’m still fascinated by the Star Wars universe, the great story and the rich imaginations of the creators of the characters, the ships and their interactions.  To me, the series universe goes unrivaled in the science fiction world!

I’ve always had an interest in development of a quality set of armor (I know COSTUME isn’t the preferred term) and I’m certainly not getting any younger, so why the heck not?  Another strong reason why I want to peruse this endeavor is a personal incentive to loose some weight and become become healthier!  I’m 52, just under 6 feet tall and around the beginning of March of this year I weighed about 286 lbs. and am of pretty stocky build.  About eight weeks ago, I began a physician assisted weight loss program And have lost about 18 pounds so far!  I’m proud of my efforts and am sticking to my program faithfully.  My blood pressure is down and my diabetic blood sugar numbers are better than they’ve been in a long time.  I certainly feel better.  I am committed to becoming an Imperial Stormtrooper one day soon, but REFUSE to be a FAT one!  I have more respect for the character than that.  I suppose I could just be an X-Wing pilot (Porkins, Ha!) until then.  But, I’m committed to get to around 200-210 at least, but I’ll never be a screen actor sized 176 lb stormtrooper!

I’m a general dentist from Lubbock, TX and have been in practicing for 19 years.  Three of those years was on active duty USAF (dental corps) and also deployment in 2003 for the air campaign of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I am proud of my military background and experience with them.  I have also been an active radio controlled scale modeler since high school.  I build and fly RC Jets and WWII scale planes as my passion for that hobby.  With my hand skills and eye for details as both a dentist and long-time modeler, I am very confident in my capabilities in assembling my own armor sets from vacu-formed pulls and fitting parts to my frame.  I have already seen many online videos about kit assembly and expected quality for upper level acceptance and approval to 501st and FISD levels.  I just need detailed photos and I can “make it look like that.”  I am also very interested in 3D printing accessories as well, but am a complete novice at that.

Please accept my interest and goals of becoming a proud and active member in time.  Looks like I have a lot of work to do!

Bryan

• Like 3

Hi Bryan, great introduction, welcome to FISD. Glad to read you're achieving you health personal goals and soon a dream of become an Imperial Stormtrooper as all of us have done. 

Browse  the forum, ask questions, we are here to help. 

If you haven't already done, I would recommend you to take a look to the getting started section. There is a lot of information there that I'm sure can be helpful. 

Cheeks. 

• Like 1

Welcome Bryan! Lubbock - No way! I grew up in Amarillo! We would’ve practically been neighbors in the middle-of-nowhere Panhandle Texas.

Congrats on your progress with your health goals! Keep up the good work on that front!

As Mario said, check out the Getting Started thread! We’ll be here along your journey to encourage and help you out, with both your build and your health goals!

Caleb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Imperial Dentist said:

I’ve always been a Star Wars fan ever since that summer in 1977 when I saw ANH in the theater with my family.  I was nine years old.  I can still vaguely remember talking to my younger brother in the back seat of the car after the movie about how neat the “guys in white” were!  I was hooked!  43 years later, I’m still fascinated by the Star Wars universe, the great story and the rich imaginations of the creators of the characters, the ships and their interactions.  To me, the series universe goes unrivaled in the science fiction world!

I’ve always had an interest in development of a quality set of armor (I know COSTUME isn’t the preferred term) and I’m certainly not getting any younger, so why the heck not?  Another strong reason why I want to peruse this endeavor is a personal incentive to loose some weight and become become healthier!  I’m 52, just under 6 feet tall and around the beginning of March of this year I weighed about 286 lbs. and am of pretty stocky build.  About eight weeks ago, I began a physician assisted weight loss program And have lost about 18 pounds so far!  I’m proud of my efforts and am sticking to my program faithfully.  My blood pressure is down and my diabetic blood sugar numbers are better than they’ve been in a long time.  I certainly feel better.  I am committed to becoming an Imperial Stormtrooper one day soon, but REFUSE to be a FAT one!  I have more respect for the character than that.  I suppose I could just be an X-Wing pilot (Porkins, Ha!) until then.  But, I’m committed to get to around 200-210 at least, but I’ll never be a screen actor sized 176 lb stormtrooper!

I’m a general dentist from Lubbock, TX and have been in practicing for 19 years.  Three of those years was on active duty USAF (dental corps) and also deployment in 2003 for the air campaign of Operation Iraqi Freedom.  I am proud of my military background and experience with them.  I have also been an active radio controlled scale modeler since high school.  I build and fly RC Jets and WWII scale planes as my passion for that hobby.  With my hand skills and eye for details as both a dentist and long-time modeler, I am very confident in my capabilities in assembling my own armor sets from vacu-formed pulls and fitting parts to my frame.  I have already seen many online videos about kit assembly and expected quality for upper level acceptance and approval to 501st and FISD levels.  I just need detailed photos and I can “make it look like that.”  I am also very interested in 3D printing accessories as well, but am a complete novice at that.

Please accept my interest and goals of becoming a proud and active member in time.  Looks like I have a lot of work to do!

Bryan

Hats off for that and a big welcome to the FISD community. :salute:

• Like 1

Welcome to FISD Bryan!

You are with good company here. I admire your efforts on combining your health goals with the goal of being a Storm Trooper! It's never too late to join the ranks.

Have you decided on which version of Storm trooper you would like to build?

Sent from my sorrosuub C1 comm link device using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hesikaya said:

Welcome to FISD Bryan!

You are with good company here. I admire your efforts on combining your health goals with the goal of being a Storm Trooper! It's never too late to join the ranks.

Have you decided on which version of Storm trooper you would like to build?

Sent from my sorrosuub C1 comm link device using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouragement and warm welcome.  I am interested in ANH Stunt trooper for my first attempt.  I’m eyeing a lot of the videos by the RS Prop guys.  I like the idea of authenticity.

• Like 1

Great to have you here on the FISD, Bryan!  Although I was 14 when ANH came out I felt the same way... to this day I still think the original TKs are the most iconic "bad guys" ever!  It's never too late to fulfill your dream of becoming a shiny white spaceman, though.  I was 51 when I purchased my first set of armor and haven't looked back.

Is it an inexpensive hobby to start?  Nope.  But, after you get your 501st approval, go on your first troop in your armor and see the smiles on so many faces it makes it all worth it.  Trust me.

Know in advance that we at the FISD are here to help every step of the way, from providing the best resources to finding the right armorer to assisting in the entire build process.  We encourage a lot of research on your part, but are always here to guide you if you have any questions.  It's kinda' what we do best!

As a fellow vet, thank you for your service, and if you have any other questions please feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

Welcome! I’m a SA, New Braunfels, Waco, Dallas, ELP guy. Been to Lubbock many times... won’t say why. (wink)

176?!? dang man. I’m undersize then. I’m learning new stuff all the time on these boards!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TK91977 said:

Welcome! I’m a SA, New Braunfels, Waco, Dallas, ELP guy. Been to Lubbock many times... won’t say why. (wink)

176?!? dang man. I’m undersize then. I’m learning new stuff all the time on these boards!!

I think I remember reading somewhere that’s the (approximate) average of the screen actors they were looking for the stormtrooper characters.  

I’m sure someone can fact check me on this one.

I'm 5 ft 9 1/2 and have, over the years met most of the surviving actors who were stormtrooper s in the original movie . Non were shorter than me , but again non were much taller . 

• Like 1