ANH Stunt - AP Trimmed - First TK Build

MightyAtom

More progress today! I've gone with a mount system for my lenses. I want to maximise interior space as much as I can, so keeping the lens size down will help.

Mounts made with ABS and ear screws.

IsQpaHB.jpg

Lenses shaped, drilled and ready to install.

lTA4U97.jpg

Fitted lenses with a few washers made from ABS

5o0JOHp.jpg

The final look! Theres a little gap above each eye for air flow as well.

tSKASoU.jpg

• Like 2

Assembly! I've painted the tear ducts/vents (?) and feel they've come up well. All feedback welcome. After a little persuasion from the heat gun, the Ukswrath HOVI mix tips sunk in nicely into the cavity. I put some Sugru on the thread, so they won't be moving any time soon. I also used Surge to install the frown mesh.

RDNOGyz.jpg

KPRpFiO.jpg

goVBbZW.jpg

I gotta say, those HOVI mix tips look awesome! Thanks again to @ukswrathfor his sterling work.

• Like 3

Nice work on those lenses. Will you be shortening the bolts further to avoid facial injuries?
Haha, yeah, that is on my mind. I'll shorten the screws AND put some rubber caps on the them.

Sent from my Imperial Communicator

The tube stripes and vents worked well; much less cleaning up required than I expected. I may even leave the tube stripes a little haggard to give them a more authentic look. There was a little paint bleed here and there, so I'll clean them a little once all the paint has cured fully. Very happy with the results!

nz6xBen.jpg

4MXRIGz.jpg

EzfzKRS.jpg

• Like 4

It's time to begin fitting and trimming armour pieces. I realised last night that the only item I had not bought was pop rivets to assemble the helmet and holster, so as Vader says:

AXYvkZw.jpg

I've been looking over other build threads each day and building the courage to assemble my first piece. I think I'll first tackle the forearms, then biceps. I've been using break time while I wait for paint or glue to dry (glueing foam and velcro into my helmet) to make cover strips (still need to make inner strips) and plan snaps and strapping - I plan to use ABS to reinforce elastic ends and snap mounts.

I also have brackets to install, so all this will make time fly while I wait for pop rivets to arrive in the mail. But first, sanding and shaping of armour pieces before fitting.

Edited by markgambino
  • Like 2

Hooray for Express Post! Helmet is now assembled and glue is drying on the s-trim. Ear screws have also been painted. Speaking of ears... EARS! I must've spent about two hours shaping each ear. Holy moly.

I'm also planning strapping. Regarding the shoulder elastics that sit underneath the plastic straps, I've seen these can be connected between the chest plate and back plate with two snaps on either end, and snap plates glued to either side; but what are thoughts on using snaps on the front, then putting velcro on the rear of the elastic and inside back plate so they can be easily adjusted? Is this building in a fail point? Or will those two pieces never need adjusting?

Ears have to be the worst but they get easier the more you do.

I prefer snaps as you then align everything the same time you put on the suit, Velcro isn't so precise but allows you some adjustment, really it's up too you what you use

• Like 1

Ears have to be the worst but they get easier the more you do.

I prefer snaps as you then align everything the same time you put on the suit, Velcro isn't so precise but allows you some adjustment, really it's up too you what you use
Ok, thanks. Pros and cons. I'll think on it.

A little advice requested: the chest plate and ab plate are not sitting together well. If you look at the ab plate from the top, it is rounded on the left, but more squared on the right, and the front of the plate is almost flat with little curve.

YVXFDtm.jpg

In the view from the front, the left side of the armour is more rounded at the side, and so wider, but the right side (left side of the image here) is more square.

cJaPQQZ.jpg

The shape of the chest plate seems ok, but when placed on top of the ab plate, there's a large gap between them. To my eye, the chest plate seems to have the ideal curve.

skuNlJE.jpg

I have a heat gun, so I can (*gulp*) try and reshape the ab / chest plate. Thoughts?

Edited by markgambino
updates

You may find when you are wearing the ab and kidney the sides may pull in so it may conform better. I would suggest having a look at other AP builds to see if this is common

• Like 2

My ab and chest was the same shape but I am big enough to fill it out. I reduces the ridges fir space and comfort. The chest piece doesn’t need to lay flat over the ab so only you will know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My ab and chest was the same shape but I am big enough to fill it out. I reduces the ridges fir space and comfort. The chest piece doesn’t need to lay flat over the ab so only you will know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, good to know. I think I'll do a fitting and see how it goes, and post some photos.

• Like 1

I made a bucket! I'm pretty chuffed with the result. I've embraced the idea that screen used armour was less than perfect and love the flaws I can see. I still need to tidy up a few rough tube stripes, but over all, STOKED. 

Of course, if there is anything glaringly obvious I have screwed up, all feedback welcome. Gonna move onto electronics now and see if I can fit those PLUS my head inside the thing.

(The left ear appears to have swung a little backwards at the bottom. Don't know what that's about, but I may have to adjust it later down the line. The right one, though, *Italian kissy fingers*)

ao5cPou.jpg

1S9QBqE.jpg

tmPV8oz.jpg

Edited by markgambino
  • Like 4

No rest for the wicked. Moving on to alignment and fitting, trimming and glueing. I've been pouring over a few AP build threads and now feel like a cloned Palpatine who has inherited the wisdom of their forefathers. However, I want to check first; when taping pieces together for fitting the general approach is:

Align at the bottom: bicep, forearm and thigh

Align at the top: shin/calf

Edited by markgambino

Nice job helmet looks great!!!!  Please look at the original movie armor part sections,  all armor parts are pretty wonky all the asymetries you see are actually movie accurate, same for the ears the left and right have completely different shape as you have noticed and will not sit the same. ;)

Mark  (AP)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, markgambino said:

A little advice requested: the chest plate and ab plate are not sitting together well. If you look at the ab plate from the top, it is rounded on the left, but more squared on the right, and the front of the plate is almost flat with little curve.

YVXFDtm.jpg

In the view from the front, the left side of the armour is more rounded at the side, and so wider, but the right side (left side of the image here) is more square.

cJaPQQZ.jpg

The shape of the chest plate seems ok, but when placed on top of the ab plate, there's a large gap between them. To my eye, the chest plate seems to have the ideal curve.

skuNlJE.jpg

I have a heat gun, so I can (*gulp*) try and reshape the ab / chest plate. Thoughts?

NEVER USE A HEAT GUN!!!! 

As soon as you overheat the ABS it will instantly warp beyon repair, a customer screwed his whole helmet using a heat gun to reshape the ears while on helmet it was a costly mistake he had to buy a completely new helmet :(  It will be pretty darn expensive to ship a new AB plate to AUS

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ABS80 said:
Nice job helmet looks great!!!!  Please look at the original movie armor part sections,  all armor parts are pretty wonky all the asymetries you see are actually movie accurate, same for the ears the left and right have completely different shape as you have noticed and will not sit the same. 

Mark  (AP)

Yes, I'm getting the hang out it faster than my OCD can catch up! I'm very happy with the leeway this allows.

Edited by markgambino

NEVER USE A HEAT GUN!!!! 

As soon as you overheat the ABS it will instantly warp beyon repair, a customer screwed his whole helmet using a heat gun to reshape the ears while on helmet it was a costly mistake he had to buy a completely new helmet   It will be pretty darn expensive to ship a new AB plate to AUS
Wow, ok. Glad I posted here then. Thanks for the advice!