Cali_Nole

Cali_Nole's ATA ANH Stunt First Build

Thanks Glen!  

The black paint in the post above was done a few days ago, so today was coat #1 of the grey (Humbrol 5 Dark Admiralty Grey Gloss).  Please let me know what y'all think.

My preference is the very thin black borders.  I definitely had some "Dank Farrik!!" :6: moments where the brush didn't cooperate (always blame the tools!;)) and the black was too thin, mostly on the rear traps.  I took a close look and thankfully I didn't wipe out the black line completely in any of these areas.  I think they're still ok, but I may try to fix them tomorrow.  And I went a smidge low on the middle three teeth into the lower gums, so I'll take a toothpick dipped in mineral spirits to them as well as some other areas with wobbles.  But overall, I'm pleased with how today's paint session went.

Sorry, the lighting isn't great in these pics.  I'll try using the flash next time to see if the colors come out better.

iV87gMV.jpg ndppTIp.jpg

7Lj6bP5.jpg wcHPtg3.jpg

IdJMYPW.jpg WVfRqgk.jpg

BcWlhIX.jpg 44aYaZH.jpg

dkXUf8e.jpg aYWfckJ.jpg

• Like 1

I think you may be right, a touch on the thin side

7Lj6bP5.jpg&key=fc51615486eceaf1355d01f8DaveMANH06.jpgLFL_Storm_Stunt02.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I think you may be right, a touch on the thin side

I'm thinking just the rear traps are too thin though.  Tears and front traps are ok in your opinion?

15 minutes ago, Cali_Nole said:

I'm thinking just the rear traps are too thin though.  Tears and front traps are ok in your opinion?

Yes the fronts look much better

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:52 PM, CableGuy said:

Lovely progress so far. Good job. :-)

Thanks Dan!  I've found your tips and vids here and on YouTube very helpful. :duim:

Ok, so I completed Take 2 on the tears and traps pinstriping last night.  I think they came out much better this time around.  I still have to clean up some of the outside edges of the pinstripes (photos below).

I also countersunk the screw holes on my ears today.  I used a 7/64" drill bit for the screw holes.  And I used a 1/4" drill bit to countersink the holes, BY HAND - no drill, just manually turned the bit by hand, as I've seen advised many times for better control.  As you can see in the photo below, I used a scrap piece of ABS to drill holes and figure out the size drill bit that would work best for me.

cq2ybWz.jpg  PC9CcIw.jpg

gigJOOA.jpg  B1rKl2H.jpg

eKjEuoN.jpg  fxUVlvq.jpg

And on a side note, saw this shirt on Amazon and I had to pick one up for myself! :cantinabandf::D

2F2rgn6.jpg?1  MGwe5qH.jpg?1

Great advice, using a test piece of plastic to prefect the countersink

From memory I think my right ear was the worse to fit, trying to get the "ideal" angle of the ears, ended up slotting the holes on the backplate to move around a little.

Paint work is looking great 

• Like 1

Thanks Glen!  Now that you mention it, one of the screw holes on my right ear doesn't align perfectly with the hole in the bucket, so it gives me a little trouble fitting the screw.  Nothing major, just have to wrestle with it a bit.  I might have to explore "slotting" that hole as a possible solution when I re-assemble.

• Like 1