when you are THE Star Wars person at work

JZYL

Very happy about the release date for second season of the Mandalorian...

...but I got pinged 10 times by my coworkers within the first hour of work. Including by one of the SVP's and by the head of HR.

Share stories of how you know you are THE Star Wars person at work!

As for myself....

Colleagues give me SW themed Valentine's Day and Birthday cards.

When I showed up to work on Halloween in full armor, my boss looked at me and was like "...I'm 95% sure that's Jessy in there." (My reaction was "who's the other 5%?!")

New hires are told to find me from all the Star Wars toys on my cubicle.

The day after the season finale of Clone Wars dropped, I got like 5 pings of people asking what my reaction was.

When places started closing down due to the pandemic, someone stuck the meme of General Grevious on my desk.

• Like 5

I suspect that one of our IT guys is likely labeled as our Star Wars guy, considering two of them also have SW figures all over their cubicles, but at least this was me on Ep. IX premiere day:

c657c9014c9937acc83634a2eac1b884.jpg

I know, it’s only a Black Series bucket, but I was only one month into my build that day exactly, so it’s all I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

my profile picture is actually me at work on SW day two years ago.

We had a costume contest at work which was promptly cancelled and I was declared the winner when I walked in LOL

Also, the SVP of Finance all but kidnapped me into his office, and then called in members of his team individually to scare them.

I told him that if our numbers were fudged that month it was totally on him

Also, this past Halloween I and another colleague might be the reason why there is a very strict "no running around" rule on Halloween. See, I was dressed as a Fem7 (fan inspired female version of a FOTK), and he was dressed as a Jedi. And I just chased him around the office. Very little work was done that day.

I get the same funny clips off FB continuously from people, not as if I haven't seen them a thousand times before :laugh1:

• Like 1

Well, I spoke enthusiastically about the 501st when I applied for the job (maybe that's what landed me the job...?), so they knew from the start. And any co-workers that didn't know by then, understood once I took time off from work six months later to go to Celebration Orlando. I guess the 32 hour travel time - one way - tipped them off to the fact that Star Wars is something I enjoy.

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb mikidymac:

They figured it out when I change at work into my undersuit and leave early for troops. That and when new costumes arrive and I can’t wait so I open them at work to avoid porch pirates.

colleagues know it at my workplace, too. Desk end is used for a TIE-pilot helmet. and at one troop in february i had my armor bin stored at work to avoid a trip back home. colleague tried to do some phone terror to get me to wear tne armor at the department meeting. Nope'd out with a "return false" (programmer humor). funny thing was that the department boss saw me in armor at the troop. it was a concert where he already had tickets for (he had bought them  before i ordered my armor) and he didnt connect the dots until after. i only found it out at next day due to office talk.

• Like 2

At my last job I worked with a fair few other Star Wars fans, but people usually gave directions in our office using the giant floor to ceiling Hebrew OT Star Wars poster behind my desk as reference:)

Also had a fair few figures and SW LEGO sets around my desk too which helped cement the image. Definitely got asked “so what did you think of <new Star Wars thing>?” all the time.

When I left after eight years at that job, my boss said “when he came to us he was a huge Star Wars nerd, and he leaves us still as a huge Star Wars nerd” (he was actually an extra in Ep I plus worked at LucasArts back in the day so had plenty of SW nerd cred himself):laugh1:

• Like 1

Every piece of SW news is sent my way, anything with a Stormtooper locally I get asked if that was me....

Someone hadned  me an "ooshie*" this morning as she walked in as she knew i'd appreciate R2....

Its established I have May the 4th off every year as well as any dates for premiere events.

Someone called me up and asked if I had a cape at work for something they needed.... I did... as well as a cheap Vader costume to go with it.

I was asked about lightsabres, I had two under my desk...

I've worked a shift on our service desk dressed as a Stormie....

so yeah I am definitely the Star Wars guy at work....

*limited edition collectibles from grocery store

• Like 3

Yuppppp. I also have about a dozen Star Wars coffee mugs, as I would invariably receive at least one as a gift for almost every major holiday. Also, all kinds of random SW toys and knicknacks... on the bright side, I worked at a Children's Hospital for many years, so I would just give the stuff I didn't want away to our kiddos, so I wouldn't feel as bad. I don't mind being the Star Wars guy, but no, I won't come entertain your children's birthday party attendees, random employee of mine XD 

31924485_10160353447860029_6926883835778

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I bought the Mattel Baby Yoda 11" plush toy. I was having a bit of a rough day so I was cuddling him while working at the computer (WFH).

...and completely forgot that I was still holding him while on video calls on Zoom and Microsoft Teams.

In fact, I only realized when I was called out during an OPS meeting when the PM pointed out that I should change my zoom background, which was redundent because it was also baby yoda.

siiiiigh. Like, no one even thought it was remarkable anymore.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I get a MILLION pings every Monday asking if I have seen the latest episode yet. Sometimes even on Friday I'll get pings.

I literally have to leave my status as "Mandalorian on Monday's, please don't ask or spoil me" 

*** it's traditional for me to watch it with my older brother, and he works weekends. I'm really getting annoyed with people who can't seem to wait a weekend before posting spoilers... my brother can easily avoid it because, well, he's a nurse so after work he just basically drops dead after his shift.

• Like 1