Good morning Troopers.. Steps to my passion.

Harder

Hello everyone.  Wow!  What a mind shock at reading everything from the 501st, Whitearmor, Garrison Pages, Armor builders.. nuts.

I am 44, father of 4 boys, (Future troopers, well maybe one Sith to be honest), and much as many of us, a huge Star Wars fan.  Since I saw that you can actually BUY an authentic replica set of armor from SDS, I have been working diligently to get on board.

Over the past many months, I have learned that SDS may not work out for me.  The thought of signed armor was the highlight, and I may still utilize some help from contacts in Mexico to acquire a set, however in the mean time, I have settled on a full ABS set from RS Props.

I do have a few questions, but first I will indicate where I am in the fulfillment of this dream to be a fellow StormTrooper.
I have read all the info from the starting posts on the 501st:

I have then found several sets of armor, and as mentioned, settled on RS.

I have read through.. thoroughly, (many times lol), the path to take which ultimately led to this post, from the new member application guidelines and faq's here:

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Join_Us

And now I am introducing myself, in hopes to better help me locate the proper Garrison and liaison.  Hi!  

So, now I am down to my questions..

I reside in Winston Salem, NC. USA.  Identifying the contact list for the contact looks to be the Carolina Garrison.. http://www.carolinagarrison.net/  Yet, I am unsure exactly whom to contact.  There are 21 different contacts there, and unfortunately they've abbreviated their titles/ranks, hence, I am asking for assistance in my intro.

Next I will assume, once, I receive my armor, I will be able to submit the photos, links, and hopefully... move into the ranks officially with the rest of the FISD.

(Btw, it was at this point I realized my screen name here included a TK number which... was done on accident, and I am happy to change it if necessary.)

Nonetheless, So about me:

Craig, 44, Father, I work in the medical industry. I travel frequently.  Love Star Wars. LOVE. I have a gift from my girlfriend which is an ID bracelet but with Vaders helmet etched into it.  I have created a gaming and video room specifically for the boys n I to enjoy movies (star wars themed of course).  I am a degree holding engineer. Love to build things, metal, wood, electronic.  So.. I am thrilled to begin and get going with realizing this childhood dream.  

Thanks for taking a min to read.  

Future Trooper, CB

• Like 5

Welcome to FISD, Craig! You’re in the right place for building your very own Stormtrooper kit. You’re also on the right track with an RS Props suit, as they are AS AUTHENTIC as they come. SDS markets themselves as the originators, but if you dig deep in these forums you’ll find more about the infamous AA. I’ll leave it at that.

As you’ve already found, most Garrisons and/or Squads have their own web pages or Facebook groups where you can get in touch with local squad members. Some of the staff here might also be able to connect you with squad members who are active on here.

I look forward to following along with your progress once you start your own build thread! I have an compilation of TK build resources in my signature which might be helpful to you. Again, welcome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Welcome to FISD! I just finished my first build and it was a ton of fun! I'm in the beginning stages of my son's TK now. One thing that caught my attention was that we are the same age and the fact that you have a Star Wars themed game room. My son is a sophomore in college and I am in the planning phase of converting the very large space that has been his bedroom into a Star Wars themed man cave. This is my next great adventure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Firedog said:

Welcome to FISD! I just finished my first build and it was a ton of fun! I'm in the beginning stages of my son's TK now. One thing that caught my attention was that we are the same age and the fact that you have a Star Wars themed game room. My son is a sophomore in college and I am in the planning phase of converting the very large space that has been his bedroom into a Star Wars themed man cave. This is my next great adventure.

It was a lot of fun building the room with my kids.  As an engineer, nerd and lover of games.  I have instilled in my kids.. 3 prime directives.

1. Always tell the truth.

2. The definition of Integrity, always do the right thing, even when no ones watching.

3. Responsibilities first, then play.. and Play like you mean it!

I have posters, a few mannequin's that need armor (wink wink), the accent lighting for the surround sound.. cause yanno.. Tie Fighters and gravity bombs!  And I must admit there is a series of old gaming consoles, including a personal rebuilt custom NES.

and ya, that was me when I was not in shape at the end lol.  Much has changed since that video.

A father and son trooper set.  I like the sound of that!  Hope to see you around as well!

• Like 2

Hello Craig and welcome! I don't have any answers to your questions but I enjoyed reading about how you got here and about your plans for becoming a Stormtrooper! I am currently in school working on my degree in electrical engineering so it's always inspiring when I meet actual engineers.  I appreciate the three prime directives you have instilled in your kids, they seem like they're going to have a pretty bight future with you as their father. I really look forward to seeing your progress here on FISD!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Craig.

You’ve had a lucky escape - you’ve managed to avoid one of the least accurate armour and helmet makers available (SDS) and gone for one of the very best. Congratulations. :-)

Great to have you on board.

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD, Craig!  You are in good hands here, sir, so always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Do you live in North or South Carolina?

4 hours ago, CableGuy said:

Welcome aboard, Craig.

You’ve had a lucky escape - you’ve managed to avoid one of the least accurate armour and helmet makers available (SDS) and gone for one of the very best. Congratulations. :-)

Great to have you on board.

Thank you!  I feel much better about the swap as well.  Andrea from RS has already reached out to me with several emails, and the fitting guides.  My current ETA is 8 weeks.  Paid in full so, hopefully that rushes things along some.  I'm not gonna hide, I squealed, even giddy-like, as a young child on christmas morning just getting the measurements out.  I can't imagine the heart attack ill have when it arrives.  

Maybe I'll video my experience... 

3 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome to the FISD, Craig!  You are in good hands here, sir, so always feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Do you live in North or South Carolina?

Thank you!  Definitely feel better with FISD support.  I was able to make contact with Drew and Jeremy for the Carolina Garrison.  I reside in North Carolina, Winston-Salem.

• Like 1

When your BBB arrives, you'll be like a giddy child on Christmas morning! Your heart will be beating out of your chest and you'll shed tears of joy! Well, at least that was my experience. I wasn't expecting my BBB until a Monday according to tracking, but my son knocked on my door early Saturday morning with a BBB sitting on my dining room table. It was an amazing feeling!

15 minutes ago, Firedog said:

When your BBB arrives, you'll be like a giddy child on Christmas morning! Your heart will be beating out of your chest and you'll shed tears of joy! Well, at least that was my experience. I wasn't expecting my BBB until a Monday according to tracking, but my son knocked on my door early Saturday morning with a BBB sitting on my dining room table. It was an amazing feeling!

I have a strong suspicion you’re accurately predicting my future as well.  Side note, I scoped you’re profile. Our birthday is close. Father, kids. Yep. I believe you’re on or with me.

• Like 1

RS is a great armor. You will be very happy with your choice!

Good Luck on your build and research research research. Feel free to ask as many questions as possible, you will find everyone is very helpful.

As far as your kids, they do sell smaller armors out there...lol. You can have your own outpost at your house with that many troopers lmao

23 minutes ago, illusionz_09 said:

RS is a great armor. You will be very happy with your choice!

Good Luck on your build and research research research. Feel free to ask as many questions as possible, you will find everyone is very helpful.

As far as your kids, they do sell smaller armors out there...lol. You can have your own outpost at your house with that many troopers lmao

Lol!!! I hadn’t even considered that. 
to be clear, my older three boys are between 25 and 22. So. Regular troopers is hope. I know one is already highly interested.  And my 9yr old simply wants to be a Jawa. “I’ll be good at taking things!”

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just catching up, but welcome Craig.

RS you wont be disappointed at all, it's a very nice kit and it's great you have family also wanting to get involved.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 8:30 AM, Sly11 said:

Just catching up, but welcome Craig.

RS you wont be disappointed at all, it's a very nice kit and it's great you have family also wanting to get involved.

So far its been a pleasure communicating with them.  I was able to get a status update today in fact.

• Helmet is finished.
  • Chest is finished.
  • Back is finished.
  • Remaining pieces are being formed now, and are expected to go to assembly next week.

If all goes accordingly, I should have the armor in my possession by my birthday.  What a gift!!

• Like 2

Just now, TK91977 said:

you and me both brother.

BTW, what does BBB stand for?  ( I feel a newbie moment coming )

Big Brown Box...or Christmas morning, they are interchangeable.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m happy to report, my Garrison leader invited me to come and see them in action on one of their trooping. This only reinforced my desires and drive. Although I don’t know your TK ID here, thank you Jeremy and the rest of the troopers I met today.

c164ad24a32dcfb028d287e76071a2e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1