Cadet Momoss KB Props TFA FOTK Build

MomoSS

I don't think I've seen issues with the size of the spats before, but it may have happened.

If they are oval and the shins round you may be able to use a hot water bath and get them to conform a little better. Other than that it would be a case of cutting, adding a section on perhaps both sides, fill with abs paste, sand and fill

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't think I've seen issues with the size of the spats before, but it may have happened.

If they are oval and the shins round you may be able to use a hot water bath and get them to conform a little better. Other than that it would be a case of cutting, adding a section on perhaps both sides, fill with abs paste, sand and fill

Gonna try that to see if I can improve the shape.  In my panic, I added a shim where the 2 halves connect which may have solved my main issue.

20200921-183932.jpg

20200921-182952.jpg

20200921-182941.jpg

20200921-183008.jpg

They still dont connect very pretty, but at least now they are not trying to come apart and they can actually stay together with masking tape long enough to get a few shots in.  I need to find a way to connect these together, the neodymium magnets are too big to fit behind the greeblie clip that goes where these 2 halves connect and I feel like velcro is still too weak to hold these together while trooping.  I'm very animated while in costume :laugh1: So I dont want parts coming off when I bust a pose.

Gonna add this strip to the other spat and then gonna go see if I can reshape these with a heat gun I got from Ace Hardware.  Last time I played around with heat with an iron it didnt go so well.  Maybe this heat gun will go better.

• Like 3

Progress Report - 9/30/20

20200930-215920.jpg

20200930-215926.jpg

So that extended piece on the spats connector wasnt working out after all.  There was too much force wanting to pull them apart and on the left shin the spats were still coming apart even though on the right it was barely making it.  So I decided to bite the bullet and cut into the spats to extend them.  I cut them in the front since the spats come together at an angle there and put an angled shim there.  Going to go over it with ABS paste to make it seemless later, but now with this extension the spats are no longer an issue.  Going to need some velcro to keep these in place when they are finished.

20200929-000327.jpg

Got one of my blasters in the mail!  Very exciting!  Seems like a nice quality print and it already came in the right colors which is nice.  Just need to clean them up, smooth them out then hit them with primer and paint and throw them together.  Also on the fence about adding leds to this one.  It's mostly just going to hang out on the holster, but it would be nice if it lit up like the F11D.  Still waiting on that bad boy to come through the mail.  I think I need some metal mounting hardware to go on this too if I'm right.

20200930-220056.jpg

20200930-220114.jpg

Assembled my biceps.  I was worried about my cuts at first but once they were put together things seemed to line up ok.  And yes!  I remembered to overlap the insides!

20200930-215039.jpg

My mobility definitely took a hit though, taking the helmet on and off is gonna be a challenge LOL  Can barely do it with just this on, with the chest armor and everything else that will eventually be on me I think it may be impossible.  I may have to admit l need a helper here xD

20200930-215328.jpg

I think I'm going to trim the insides of this forearm a bit more.  The edges are really cutting into my hands and its uncomfortable, not to mention I dont want them to damage my gloves over time.

With the extremities mostly put together its about time to take the chest stuff out of the bin and get back to work on those.

Edited by MomoSS
  • Like 2

Just catching up on your progress, and wow, you are killing it.  Great work on the thigh overlap, and good to see you are working out your minor spat issue to.

Keep up the great work. :popcorn:

• 2 weeks later...

Got a quick question regarding shins and spats.  Would it affect EIB or Centurion if the spats were semi-permanently attached to the shins and just clasp together after clasping the shins?  Or would they have to be separate pieces?  The reason why I ask is because the spats seem really wonky and I feel like they would come apart when walking around and doing poses.  Ive seen people use velcro to keep them in place but why bother having them be separate to begin with?

2 hours ago, MomoSS said:

Got a quick question regarding shins and spats.  Would it affect EIB or Centurion if the spats were semi-permanently attached to the shins and just clasp together after clasping the shins?  Or would they have to be separate pieces?  The reason why I ask is because the spats seem really wonky and I feel like they would come apart when walking around and doing poses.  Ive seen people use velcro to keep them in place but why bother having them be separate to begin with?

It would have no impact on L2/L3; just ensure that the black oval on the shins is still visible when the spats are attached.

If you weren't aware Andrew @Sly11 uploaded some new references recently, some great details can be seen, here is the spat/shin section 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:22 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

If you weren't aware Andrew @Sly11 uploaded some new references recently, some great details can be seen, here is the spat/shin section 

Those spats look a bit different from the ones that came with my kit.  Like if they were a flat piece of abs that was just curved around.  Also looks like part of it is securely affixed or permanently attached to the shin and the side where the shin opens up is where the spats are loose at.  This was what I was thinking about doing.  If its okay for L3 Centurion, I will go this route with my shin/spats.

• Like 2

You are correct Monica, the original armour had the spats attached to the shin, using a cloth material and a rubber cement. You are also correct that they were indeed made from a different type of material to your ABS vac formed spats. The screen used parts were injection molded. Glad that the images are of help in reassuring that you are on the right track.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry there hasn't been an update in a while...I've been going through a lot lately.  My health took a rough turn and I'm gonna be out of commission for a little bit while I recover from dodging a bullet from ovarian cancer (caught it early at stage 1 but need chemo).  Had to have surgery and all that and my first round of chemo is tomorrow.  When I come through on the other side of this I'll get back to building my armor again.  Just thought I'd give an update since I've been MIA for a while.  Also got this flag from Galaxies Edge in the mail so thats something to raise the spirits while I get better.  I'll be back in action soon!

20201208-152741.jpg

For the first order!

So sorry to hear of your troubles, hoping for a speedy recovery and good news for the future, best wishes

Wow Monica, very traumatic for you but so glad it was discovered early enough to do something about. Best of luck for a speedy recovery and please take your time and come back to it when you are good and ready. We will be hear for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Hey guys!  I'm not dead! lol  6 months of chemo and some TLC later I'd thought id post an update.  So far its looking like I'm in the clear.  Had 2 doctors appointments checking in with scans so far and they have come out good.  Hair is growing back and I feel like my old self again except now I weigh more D:  So before I can get going on my armor again I need to lose the stomach.  But I'm still here!  Missed out on the Centurion stuff I know...but thats okay.  My #1 goal after all was just to get my armor finished and approved!  One day it'll happen!

• Like 7

#1 goal is to get you back on your feet, your armor will still be there when ever you are ready. Glad to hear you are back on the mend and all clear :duim:

3 hours ago, MomoSS said:

Hey guys!  I'm not dead! lol  6 months of chemo and some TLC later I'd thought id post an update.  So far its looking like I'm in the clear.  Had 2 doctors appointments checking in with scans so far and they have come out good.  Hair is growing back and I feel like my old self again except now I weigh more D:  So before I can get going on my armor again I need to lose the stomach.  But I'm still here!  Missed out on the Centurion stuff I know...but thats okay.  My #1 goal after all was just to get my armor finished and approved!  One day it'll happen!

MoMo's back

yes she's back, yes she back, yes she back!

That's very reassuring news on your recovery Monica, I wish you all the best.

Thanks for the update, and hope you get some time to continue on your build.

• 6 months later...

Quick update.

I get checkups every 2-6 months just to make sure everything is ok post chemo, so far so good.  I've been walking a lot and working out.  Losing inches, weight not so much >__> this stuff doesnt come off easy lol  Pain in the butt.  My armor is still in the crate waiting for me to get back into it so meanwhile I've been fixing up my stormtrooper themed car and going to some local car shows with it.  I'm hoping next year my stomach will be slim enough for me to feel more comfortable with the chest/ab plate porportions cause right now they way out of whack :lol:

20220326-114924.jpg

Theres my other work in progress.  Looks more stormtrooper than I do right now, haha.

Car looks awesome, best wishes for your recovery. Yes putting the weight on is the easy bit, getting it back off is another matter ;)