Indie's TLJ Phasma Build

39 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

It's an impressive result for sure, my only concern is with how well it will hold up under the rigors of trooping.

Bend the arms a few hundred times per troop (easily done) and will they last the distance .

I think you will have a good testing phase ahead of you but great job so far.

I had similar thoughts as well, if my trial runs don't end well I was going to go up a nozzle size - thicker walls, without losing quality and all that. Definitely will be putting it through it's paces as I test out my design, after elbow I need to model out shoulder and knee gaskets as well. Each will be an adventure, to be sure. 

• Like 2

On 9/22/2021 at 4:31 AM, Sly11 said:

Good luck Brit, i really hope you can pull this off as it will be a first for FISD and no doubt, your garrison and Legion.

Thank you! I didn't realize how impactful a small change to the status-quo could be, but in thinking on it this will hopefully make creating First Order troopers more accessible.  

10 hours in, 11 hours to go!! It is so clean and yet squishy. 
EiVEgWy.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, indiechixor said:

Thank you! I didn't realize how impactful a small change to the status-quo could be, but in thinking on it this will hopefully make creating First Order troopers more accessible.  

10 hours in, 11 hours to go!! It is so clean and yet squishy. 
EiVEgWy.jpg

Top of the rings is looking great, just the underneaths that look a little rough, not sure how much will show when worn, perhaps the angle/width could be changed so there is more of the next layer to grip too, I find this with some undercut prints.

EiVEgWy.thumb.jpg.c035b89abb7aafaf8ed135b47c75c4e2.jpg

5 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Top of the rings is looking great, just the underneaths that look a little rough, not sure how much will show when worn, perhaps the angle/width could be changed so there is more of the next layer to grip too, I find this with some undercut prints.

Well, That's why you wait till the print is done before deciding if the quality is ok!

ORAemHm.jpg

I think it looks good enough to pass muster, but I did end up re-designing the model to be a bit longer, so that'll increase the width of each ridge. Print quality aside, look at how gorgeous this flexes and moves! Perfection.

Click Here for Video showing Flexibility!

It is worth repeating that THIS IS A TEST, AND ONLY A TEST. That being, the size is snug against the arm, but that's good to help test how it'll hold up under extended abuse. I plan on giving them to my 11 year old to stress-test.

Either way, doesn't this look FAB? Really happy with how it turned out. 

Sjn1QGQ.jpg

n3MaMNS.jpg

Edited by indiechixor
  • Like 1

Update - While at first I said it was too snug, after a few more test prints, I determined that I could make it "larger" by simply taking out an inner layer. And it makes it much more flexible! So, here's the test with my armor and undershirt, fitting beautifully, and amazingly flexible YET DURABLE. We tried tearing it with our hands, and it wouldn't break apart. I'm planning on adding some length to each size, to make it easier to attach to armor. Not sure if i'm going to use something like E9000 or what, TPE is notoriously difficult to glue.

ExI5xDX.jpg

MZLcRer.jpg

KT67HxV.jpg

Edited by indiechixor
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I've been delayed almost a whole month due to COVID - family is healthy and happy again, but really did put a huge stoppage on work proceeding. Meanwhile, we bought automotive paint, and supplies needed to start applying a glossy black to our pieces. 

And today, built a spray booth:

qh785CV.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. We also re-sanded all our pieces up to 2000 grit, and washed a bunch of parts that are ready for spraying. Once we get a nice result on the glossy black, we'll be ready to start testing with...

Alsa Easy Chrome

Yes, we've decided to try our own hand at Chroming, despite most folks sending it out to Vegas. Here's our rational (as i'm sure many folks will have opinions): 

- We've been doing our research on many Mirror Chrome options, this seems to have the best final result

- Many of the good results we've seen with this particular product were from automotive shops, hence the setup

- Many of the bad results we've seen with this particular product were due to not following the prescribed steps

- This is not a Gilding Processes - it's still a two-part basecoat/topcoat combo using paint gun

- While still expensive ($140 for 2oz?!) i'm willing to try it out initially to see what results we get, and if they seem not so promising, we aren't out THAT much. We can still sent out for professional chroming.

- A lot of the work is in the prep, which we've spent many hours accomplishing. 

So, that's where we're at. We're on final Black Glossy coat, we'll get those looking flawless, then try out the Easy Chrome process, hopefully in a few weeks. I might actually buy the hobby kit after my next paycheck!

• Like 4

Paint time!

We purchased Speedokote High Gloss Jet Black for our basecoat, applied using a touch-up airbrush, which is perfect for painting 5-6 parts, applying two coats. 

WzOnZSn.jpg

We seemed to get the best results on the smaller pieces - husband usually paints small minifigs, these are his first large parts.

Yr6nUCv.jpg

That said, we got great quality on these knees (cured 48 hours)

U17qdss.jpg

Others, like the cod piece, had a bit of orange peeling, which will be sanded down and try again with a more medium-wet application

JRdQ2sf.jpg

b6Hy9HN.jpg

The shoulder bells turned out quite well, I think

mWGdKh2.jpg

fEIuBPt.jpg

We used an uncomplicated method of using stirring sticks for both holding parts, and hanging to dry

nsGhn1V.jpg

Here's the whole set of initial spray, we've got some work to do on the Thermal Detonator still so i'll cover that one separately. 

dnHGclR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Overdue update time!  First. I want to update my progress on getting a high-gloss black, which will (hopefully) help w/chroming.  These are all "finished", flawless and mirror reflective. I'm holding a few in reserve, want to do a start-to-finish post on those. 

Knee Caps:

cGgyU8P.jpg

Vtquq7A.jpg

Boot Tops:

CLO9VQe.jpg

BKTeBoT.jpg

Uzd4ES0.jpg

Boot Cuffs:

zwm89ec.jpg

ruWHK0O.jpg

Bells (These do have slight orangepeeling):

CeCEtcD.jpg

MHxtZup.jpg

PvLdDSd.jpg

Codpiece:

Zaldh6i.jpg

wzNwjBR.jpg

Chest: (look at that reflection!)

d5xlxOi.jpg

vtL4ciR.jpg

This side will need to be retouched

S7uXzDe.jpg

TD Bracket:

Ndqp1Jv.jpg

99t2PF5.jpg

Biceps:

nzRRVPF.jpg

QNhTIZP.jpg

WMvSHPs.jpg

ZBxtJ7J.jpg

Edited by indiechixor

Yolk/Back Piece

I fought this SOB join more times than I care to admit. 

Here was one of the more initial attempts, using just bondo to fill the join. As you can see, crude.
IWzuupS.jpg

I tried sanding it down and retouching, as seen here:

5JDkVmA.jpg

But unfortunately, any amount of handling caused cracking and separating around the yolks.

Finally, I realized what I needed: Greenstuff. Soft two-part epoxy putty, dries extra hard, and sandeable.

lY4R7H8.jpg

Despite my best efforts, I still got dips around the edges:

c4XYS10.jpg

tUvllaz.jpg

I ended up having to sand the bondo down again, and use green stuff along the whole center too. And bondo, and sanding.
ABsNR1p.jpg
dRi74DE.jpg
After a final spraying, a beautiful join that won't crack:

HcCdWjS.jpg

alVWuHJ.jpg

Edited by indiechixor
  • Like 1

Forearms:

I had been fighting with the sides of my forearms as well. 

UlTC2Hy.jpg

These were pretty rough-n-ready

c957yLN.jpg

byxeM8z.jpg

81Nhlon.jpg

ZwSGkfV.jpg

I used more bondo/sanded these downs more times than I can count
FhV9Zk1.jpg

More bondo/sanding...

ExI5xDX.jpg?1
Evidently I didn't take many pictures in-progress, but I added more green stuff to these corners and did lots of detailed cleanup around the seams.   Final beauty shots, i'm especially proud of these.

2aWc1nv.jpg

Zz6Xy5O.jpg

C7WvAXz.jpg

1sK22DU.jpg

cnhZRBM.jpg

Edited by indiechixor

Thermal Detonator:

This one was raw resin, so figured lots of work ahead of me. It was actually easier than anticipated.

cQvYBLm.jpg

I initially just touched-up with bondo, spot style, but in the end this was the best way to fill all the flaws

z7i6vfp.jpg

vOCYTbe.jpg

Finally, after lots of sanding and spraying:

aTa5Mee.jpg

F4t37Oe.jpg

I figured this was fine, it will be covered by a decal

VSZIQcI.jpg 

I used some spare ABS for the cap
ejAU7am.jpg

That has come up very well and some great progress.

looks like a little bit of paint reaction on one end, but nothing sanding and a respray wont fix.

With any metalic paint you want the black base as flat as you can get it, for my Mando I wet sanded with 2000 paper, then added the top metailic coat and finished with a 2K clear, I hadn't used it before but was amazed how the orange peel disappeared when drying, gives a deep gloss shine also. 

Like any paints it's a trial and error so definitely practice before going over all the armor

• Like 1

With any metalic paint you want the black base as flat as you can get it, for my Mando I wet sanded with 2000 paper, then added the top metailic coat and finished with a 2K clear, I hadn't used it before but was amazed how the orange peel disappeared when drying, gives a deep gloss shine also. 

Like any paints it's a trial and error so definitely practice before going over all the armor

Well that’s the intent- I like to think these are about as smooth as I can get them, Minus a few spots I’m touching up as I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I know I’ve been radio quiet for a while… but the work continues!

I now have my bucket, so I’m wondering what accessories are absolutely necessary for it? I was considering getting either [mention]ukswrath [/mention] voice amplifier or internal speakers- if I have a handler walking around with me will I need both? Celebration is going to be my first test-run with my Phasma so I’m going In a bit blind.

Always planned on getting upgrades and fans but what can I not live without?

Fans are definitely a must to keep trooping just that bit more comfortable.

Aker amp and mike set up also really add to the costume and the experience for both children and adult alike.

So many times i have heard the words "Ahhhh he talks as well" lol.

Glad to hear you have still been working away in the background and can't wait to see some photo updates.

• Like 1

All I have in my helmet is fans and I only use one at a time, I use a separate head mike and the cord runs down my neck and and behind the chest and ab down to the large front pouch where I have the Aker amp unfortunately you don't have that pouch so you could mount your Aker behind the chest, this is what we mostly do with original trilogy stormtroopers. There are many mp3's and sound boards you could use for voice modulation or for set lines, many of these are small so you should be able to also mount the behind the chest.

So many things you can do with a costume, I also have a second amp cable which runs down the arm to the blaster, most of mine have electronics and this makes them nice and loud, great for large conventions ;) 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:09 PM, Sly11 said:

So many times i have heard the words "Ahhhh he talks as well" lol.

^ THIS!

Being able to talk just adds so much to the experience. I'd rank it even with having fans. And fans are an enormous help in any and all weather. I switch my low speed fan on immediately and am usually comfy that way the whole troop.

My own bucket is packed. Ukswrath fans, mic, speakers and hearing assist, and the iCOMM static burst amp thing.  I regret none of it.

And lastly, this is a fantastic build!! I hope you get it all together for Celebration!

• Like 1

^ THIS!

Being able to talk just adds so much to the experience. I'd rank it even with having fans. And fans are an enormous help in any and all weather. I switch my low speed fan on immediately and am usually comfy that way the whole troop.

My own bucket is packed. Ukswrath fans, mic, speakers and hearing assist, and the iCOMM static burst amp thing.  I regret none of it.

And lastly, this is a fantastic build!! I hope you get it all together for Celebration!

Thank you!! I think that’s enough encouragement to consider these “must-haves” after my next paycheck totally worth it.

• Like 2