Indie's TLJ Phasma Build

Ok I’ve sanded and did a first pass of primer on several parts, huzzah.
Shoulder Bells:
gWyCXSS.jpg
YtCFOBE.jpg

Heels:
PostRNT.jpg
1qrNhjA.jpg

Cod Piece:
v25cv2M.jpg
Uzzel38.jpg

Abs join has been spot putty’d, sanded, and more putty… ready for another pass of primer to check quality

8eCPQeu.jpg
zQXCwWe.jpg
7eeSWh1.jpg

Putty on the back/yolk join, also ready for more primer
5JDkVmA.jpg

I also spent a crap-ton of time working on the thighs, getting them sized and cut down… I’ll do that in a single post since it was quite the production for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thighs! I think it’s redundant to mention what a PITA it can be getting happy with how human thighs look, let alone armored versions.

You know the old adage ‘measure twice, cut once’? My version is “measure 23 times, still be uncertain it’s right, cut never”. Which in the IT world is called "Analysis Paralysis".

I will say, I wish there had been more resources of how people determined their Thigh shaping, so I documented as much as possible.

7D3XDdO.jpg

I even resorted to looking at the shape and cut of other Phasmas, tracing the line, calculating the angles, and using that to help form my decisions.

8XBuG6J.jpg

In the end, here is how much I decided to cut off the tops and bottoms of the ‘front’ thigh;
9Yvxbsa.jpg
cg3h4eJ.jpg

And the backs;
bMG9rrX.jpg

Made my scary cuts, and rewarded myself with a tall one

tN3cH0S.jpg
sA0Ydx1.jpg

After straightening the edges and much sanding, I got my butt-join parts glued down before calling it a night. I call these shots ‘excessive clamps’
0ruc2Yh.jpg
iT5uZ5L.jpg

Now that the kids are in bed, I can go glue the other half of my butt join, and start working on the shins!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Question Regarding Specifically TLJ Phasma- I can’t remember where I got this pic from…
https://i.imgur.com/AgyOTxv.jpg
but the CRL says no soft parts on the belt, while I know some folks wear them while trooping to use for cards/stickers. Can I just make those boxes removable? I’m in the process of working on Abs & belt and want to make them as functional as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say that image is from a costumer or member who has attached after being approved, here are a couple of TLJ references from the gallery which show no soft pouch.

large.33965455_185130705540850_432861199

large.33806409_185130888874165_554643254

large.1492685860_starwarslastjedicaptain

large.bf0b9183a06526f92cd301d293a67c09.j

For approval you can't have one (unless your GML misses it in review) but if it's fine with your GML and GCO you may be able to wear a soft pouch for non LFL events, but it's ultimately their call

• Like 1

8 hours ago, indiechixor said:

Question Regarding Specifically TLJ Phasma- I can’t remember where I got this pic from…
https://i.imgur.com/AgyOTxv.jpg
but the CRL says no soft parts on the belt, while I know some folks wear them while trooping to use for cards/stickers. Can I just make those boxes removable? I’m in the process of working on Abs & belt and want to make them as functional as possible.

I believe the CRL statement eliminates any confusion between Phasma and the TFA which does have soft pouches. 

That said, once you've been approved at any level if you want to add a card carrier pouch that's completely up to you.

Got a lot more work done the last few nights, picture-heavy.

Got the shims put onto the back of the shins:

tLNBkJj.jpg

ULC1rws.jpg

Which turned out pretty good

SrpYHez.jpg

O9EsVhJ.jpg

Got around to putting the boxes onto my Forearms:

dM5vPKP.jpg

zuWWPou.jpg

KVnw7ks.jpg

UlTC2Hy.jpg

Butt-join on the outside thigh... not sure yet how I want to attach the inside.
NLJJe9l.jpg

vVY62Iu.jpg

Inside View
33R6AER.jpg

And put another layer of primer on some touch-up items, and first coats for others.

Abdomen is nearly finished, needs a few passes with the sander and should be good:

AlFGxsC.jpg
ozSabgx.jpg

Very happy with the back/yolk join:
E0HaDAo.jpg

Behind:
XD4kHQs.jpg

Knees:
NckvthV.jpg
Spatz!
EF3qaQr.jpg

Feet Plates:

Fdy7o1d.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good Brit,

Worth noting: Every valley, raised area, and imperfection will be exacerbated when paint is applied. The Phasma chrome may hide some of those or make them worse so, it might be worth consulting with a current Phasma and get their opinion on the subject. I only mention this because nothing is more frustrating than areas you thought were good to go that weren't. I've never built a costume that was chromed so I can't comment on that but I've built plenty that were painted. 

Keep up the great work.  

• Like 1

I can echo Tony's comment, you want as perfecr a base as you can get, chrome shows up every blemish.

Also try to get into grobea and especially any 3D print lines

2000400823_Screenshot_20210619-051810_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1cfb7b24889cee1eed53ce127af16b0d.jpg

Just remembered these images in regards to the post you made in XYDIU's thread about chest cut out, in regards to screen accuracy (not comfort) Phasma had a full front section which was hinged at the top. Just a bit of trivia ;) 

post-28965-0-95950500-1493554747_thumb.thumb.jpg.d87efc9409dc0d6c73270efcef9717cd.jpg

Also note how the full front plate has a cut out for the chest rectangle detail piece to come through dsc_1418.jpg.8f7f4cb157cb06f95861094cb455481d.jpg

• Like 1

Just remembered these images in regards to the post you made in XYDIU's thread about chest cut out, in regards to screen accuracy (not comfort) Phasma had a full front section which was hinged at the top. Just a bit of trivia  
post-28965-0-95950500-1493554747_thumb.thumb.jpg.d87efc9409dc0d6c73270efcef9717cd.jpg

Also note how the full front plate has a cut out for the chest rectangle detail piece to come through dsc_1418.jpg.8f7f4cb157cb06f95861094cb455481d.jpg

Yeah I had those screenshots saved, I was considering doing the full chest plate but since the CRL for TLJ says “The back/yoke is one seamless piece.” I didn’t want to potentially get denied for something like that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I did a thing! After shamelessly complaining about zero responses from my local garrison; I got to attend my first build party!

Big time thanks to the Central Cali Garrison folks for taking me under their wing, and helping me get dressed! First test-fit since finishing all my parts.

mjTAEzo.jpg

I already was able to adjust quite a few things that weren’t 100% with my fit, and after inspection by the other members, feeling good about the work I’ve done so far.

• Like 3

Great to hear you are well being looked after, been hard for a lot of new builders with the covid and lack of armor build days and events.

At least you know you have local support if needed, onward and upwards :duim:

• Like 1

Great to see some progress and you had the opportunity to attend an armour party.

It sure makes a difference when the help is first hand.

Looking forward to seeing your next photos.

• Like 1

After attending SiliCon in San Jose, and attending a small workshop about doing Costume Project Management, I decided to create a Phasma Kanban. Here, you'll see a sampling of the "big rocks" I need to accomplish on the left, moving to the small finishing details. These haven't been prioritized yet, i'm going to sleep on it first.

2yPLNjs.jpg

jJGtVbs.jpg

LwwOhSP.jpg

After that, going to try and put some rough estimates to see how many more hours of work I have ahead of me. How high will that number go?

L5DxDXR.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! While I was at my build party, some folks helped me piece together my belt. I think we got them all in the right order, but an extra set of eyes would be nice. I finished cleaning them up, but not sure if they’re supposed to be stacked like this? Does anyone have a good guide to TLJ belt assembly?

F686TZe.jpg?1

QXvPh4K.jpg

bD3JV1S.jpg

Next, I think I’ve finally solved an issue with cracking on my abs join. Note this top photo has a nasty seam

ozSabgx.jpg

I used a combo of green stuff and support for behind the join, hopefully that keeps it from cracking any further.
DoIuvFD.jpg

yb8224s.jpg

jd8unjt.jpg

Finally, after another coat of primer/paint:
N1BBa1v.jpg

I know it needs a few more layers of filler, but not too shabby!

• Like 2

You have a good plan with plenty of detail so you wont go wrong.

The tough part is indeed removing as many blemishes, cracks scratches and dents as possible so you have a great surface to apply that super shiny finish.

Some things will be well hidden due to reflections others will stand out , so spend as much time as possible getting those gaps filled and nice and smooth.

keep up the great work Brit.

• Like 1

Fingertips! I used blue tack, toothpicks, and .99c foam pumpkin to aid with spraying my 3D printing lines.

Round 1 of Spraypaint

CLtkGcQ.jpg

VZwj4l5.jpg

7Pa8aYU.jpg

Round 2 - I did some 800grit slight sanding inbetween sprays

z7WqV9g.jpg

77a601y.jpg

xD50tOt.jpg

Round 3 - Really getting there

H7cuJSA.jpg

M0jYZ9x.jpg

GLIgj3p.jpg

Edited by indiechixor

Make sure you leave plenty of drying time between coats, I've noticed with some paints the thinners in the paint can seep into already filled lines and become soft again which then can show lines again ;) 

Make sure you leave plenty of drying time between coats, I've noticed with some paints the thinners in the paint can seep into already filled lines and become soft again which then can show lines again  

Yep! I’ve been letting the paint layers cure around 12hrs, sanding them even with some 800grit paper, and washing/drying overnight.

This last top layer I went thick/heavy, going to give it a full 24 hours and even out any drips that may have formed… then I’ll be done until it’s time to use the shiny black prior to chroming!

• Like 2

Gaskets! 

I had a dream in which I didn't pay $150-$300 for "rubber" gaskets (as required for level 3 CRL). So, I opened up Fusion360 and created a mockup of what I might be able use instead. 

SWBYR5n.png

I printed this first test in PETG, my flexible filament arrives tomorrow, so I can mess around with settings on that soon.

1) Distance between each courregation. Would love input on 'standard' size of these

DxcS1Wh.jpg

2) You can see it's nice and thin, but depending on how well the TPE holds up, I might need to use 2 perimiters.

1jCJ1Oq.jpg

3) But overall I really like how this turned out, interested to see if I can actually make these work!

qR1PxUf.jpg

N87UU3o.jpg

• Like 1

It's an impressive result for sure, my only concern is with how well it will hold up under the rigors of trooping.

Bend the arms a few hundred times per troop (easily done) and will they last the distance .

I think you will have a good testing phase ahead of you but great job so far.

• Like 1