Firedog requesting TK Pre-Approval Review (AM 4.5)

Firedog

Name: Shawn Williams

Future Garrison/Squad: Florida Garrison/Parjai Squad

Armor Maker: AM 4.5 (Dave's Darkside Depot)

Helmet Maker: AM  4.5 (Dave's Darkside Depot)

Cloth Belt Maker: Self made

Neck Seal Maker: Darman's Props

Boot Maker: Imperial Boots

Blaster Maker: Awaiting blaster from Quest Design Canada

Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 205 lbs

TK Type: ANH Stunt

Received Help From: TKSpartan, Gmrhodes13, LTM

Front:

ipu16k6.jpg

Back:

I realized after the fact that it needed to be arms down. Also, my handler didn't have the shins completely closed. They will close with no gap. I am having difficulty with the TD brackets I purchased from Dave at DDD. They will not allow the TD to go any further down on the belt. Is it acceptable to place the TD bracket between the belt velcro?

mRVRA2w.jpg

Left Side:

hnauKxj.jpg

Right Side:

gmdOkMC.jpg

AB Plates:

CDZgGqQ.jpg

rQEuPgc.jpg

HwcZoyg.jpg

Helmet:

hZxmLWh.jpg

gHYCn3m.jpg

IstPsQI.jpg

Interior Strapping:

EIWpifi.jpg?1

Can you post pictures of the TD, show the clips and possible to include a ruler next to clip? Curious to see if it was folded incorrectly or if there is another issue not letting you push it further down. 

25 minutes ago, LTM said:

Can you post pictures of the TD, show the clips and possible to include a ruler next to clip? Curious to see if it was folded incorrectly or if there is another issue not letting you push it further down. 

I'll do that this evening. The bend in the clip is pinched instead of rounded to allow for the two layers of the belt. I've compared the clips to the ones that Ukswrath makes and there is a noticable difference there. I purchased a bench clamp and I am going to try to do a little work on them, first trying it out on the remaining clip from the first set. 

• Like 2

What Lou is getting at, in case it wasn’t clear, is that the TD appears to be riding a bit high on the belt. I’d be happy to send you measurements of my Ukswrath clips if they’d be helpful to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, MaskedVengeance said:

What Lou is getting at, in case it wasn’t clear, is that the TD appears to be riding a bit high on the belt. I’d be happy to send you measurements of my Ukswrath clips if they’d be helpful to you.

I understand what Lou is saying. I'm merely explaining why it is riding high on the belt. It's an issue with the TD clips I purchased that will not allow the belt to fit into the top of the clips where the bend is. I just have to figure out how to reshape them without breaking them, as I've already broken one trying to do so, or fork out another $40 to get some that are made correctly. I can't seem to locally source the 1/16" thick aluminum flat metal.

Since I can't take a photo until later, I scratched out this diagram to better explain what the issue is.

aSOTbpx.jpg

Edited by Firedog
Added image
  • Like 1

Gotcha gotcha. Weird that the clip you tried to widen broke. It’s almost as if it may not have been metal. I’m totally with you on not wanting to shell out more, or being able to source the proper metal for DIY. Keep up the great work overcoming every challenge! You got this!

Yeah, they are aluminum, but the bend is so tight there that it created a stress fracture when I gently pried it. I'm going to try a different method this time by placing it over a rounded object, likely a large shaft screwdriver, and tapping it to attempt get the shape I need.

6 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work trooper, nothing glaring I can see that would hold you up for basic approval 

Thanks Glen, just a few minor things to work on for EIB/Centurion I believe. I've submitted my application on the 501st website and emailed the Florida Garrison GML with my photos. I have my fingers crossed for basic approval soon. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Firedog said:

Thanks Glen, just a few minor things to work on for EIB/Centurion I believe. I've submitted my application on the 501st website and emailed the Florida Garrison GML with my photos. I have my fingers crossed for basic approval soon. 

Good luck, hope you hear back soon, nothing worse than waiting and stalking your inbox.

For EIB/Centurion

Black lines on helmet are a little large in places but that's really up to the DO's to call

IstPsQI.jpg&key=90bc715935c362494195bfb1

uD2z8pJ.jpg?1&key=1a80bbfcce2aa9964104830SQyzcY.jpg?1&key=5f4e5b247b2d8e684bac06

You could trim a little more off you ab plates (mainly smaller one)

HwcZoyg.jpg&key=cd49b75d245ad9a864ea9b2aLSuei4K.jpg?1&key=0c9c5dfc8959a6e5b45e7e

Trim a little off your TD clips so your TD can come down more. Also watch the gaps at the top of the rear of your calves, perhaps a piece of ABS behind glued on one side.

mRVRA2w.jpg  ENBGgGW.jpg?1&key=405774e6e8f353c6445ead66W22Oe.jpg?1&key=e352646f1eb153d79c9418

You have a really nice build and I don't think you will have too many problems.

Good luck with approval

Thanks, these are the decals. I do plan to hand paint them eventually, but need a little practice steadying my hand. The calves are a dressing issue as it was my wife’s first time dressing me and I missed that particular in my instructions. 

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 2

Ok, update on progress. Here are the photos of the TD and brackets as they were.

nrlfZeQ.jpg

Nb6LmRQ.jpg

gFAKN4B.jpg

Here is what happened when I tried to rework one off of the first set.

6ZHDS68.jpg

I picked up a small table vice from Harbor Freight this morning and beat a little more space into them over the shaft of a screwdriver. I do believe this weakened them slightly and will likely be only a temporary fix until I receive or make replacements. I did email Dave with photos of the brackets I received in hopes that he will help me out. Regardless, here is the end result.

gZO5NkM.jpg

And...on the belt...

dfW16sy.jpg?1

I also re-evaluated the backs of the calves and realized that even though they do close to no gap at the top, the velcro strip is so narrow that it doesn't always hold them tight. So, on Glen's advice, I glued some strips on the inside that were originally cut off the shins to hopefully make the gap less noticeable should it occur. I'll eventually transition to a magnet system once I am more comfortable with the process.

NPX9nXv.jpg

Additionally, on the advice of Glen and Mario, I reduced the size of the small ab plate just a little more. I believe this is about as small as I can safely make it.

bMVTlHh.jpg?1

I do also have a whole set of replacement decals if it comes to the point I need to do something with the thicker black lines on the traps. I could possibly trim part of the decal to make it thinner.

Anyway...I sit in nervous anticipation for an email from the GML

***Update***
I reached out to Dave and he’s taking care of the brackets. I can’t recommend him enough when it comes to delivering a quality product with great communication and customer service!

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 3

Shout out to Dave for pointing out in something that I had missed in a DM. I had the small 45 degree angles on the front bottom of my butt plates prior to cutting the notch and forgot to re-trim them afterward. I’ll work on doing that and heating a slight return on them over the weekend.