Getting Started On Armour

Hello there, I've been wanting to join the 501st Legion for some time now as it is a little bit of a dream of mine, and I was wondering what to do about getting armour? Should I try to make it, or buy it? If I am to buy it I'd probably get it from AP, because I live in Canada and I've done a little bit of research and learned that it's pretty good armour, with only minor adjustments needing to be made for joining the 501st Legion. I'm unsure about making it as I am a total noob in that dept. and would probably have no idea on what to do. If anyone has any tips on what to do when buying that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Hi Tyler welcome to FISD . Glad to read you're on the way of making a dream come true, (as most of us were in some time ago).

If you haven't done yet. I would like to recommend you to take a look to the  Getting Started Section

Assembling your own armor is a Challenging but full of learning and rewarding process . 

Most recruits use to open a building thread to post photos of their advances, receive tips and feedback from our very experienced Troopers.

Also you can take a  look to some build threads like this for an Ep 4 stormtrooper. You can also search some youtube videos about building a stormtrooper armor. 

Browse the forum, ask questions. we are here to help.

Good luck mate :salute:

• Like 1

Hi Tyler and welcome to the FISD!  AP is an excellent set of armor.  Please just peruse that getting started thread that Mario provided.  It can come down to your height and weight to make sure a specific set of armor is right for you.  Also, have you located your nearest garrison?  You may have a member or two close nearby and you can pick their brain about building your set of armor.  Check out the build threads around here.  It can feel like a daunting task at first but once you start building you will find that it is not too difficult. 

• Like 1

Yea, heh, I've been looking into this all I can for now, and I actually am near the Capital City (Canada) Garrison. I wouldn't worry too much about getting my armour fit for me just yet, as I am annoyingly under the age restriction, but it just means I've got more time to perfect the ways of the dremel and building armour, so it shouldn't be too daunting.

(Edit) I was looking around and I found AP's ebay page, and it's like, $900 for me, Wow. 

I guess you *really* gotta pay for quality stuff.

Edited by Scout
Correcting which Garrison I'm near.

Welcome Tyler! If by "making" the armor you mean fully constructing the shiny white armor from scratch, I would definitely recommend purchasing some from the list of recommended vendors, such as AP, as you mentioned. Very few builders make their own armor from scratch, as that would generally entail being an expert at 3D printing, and the STL files out there are generally not ANH screen-accurate (and therefore un-approvable by any hawk-eyed GML).

You are definitely right that armor isn't cheap, and keep in mind that there are many more components/soft goods to a TK build as well, such as shoes, belt, gloves, undersuit, etc. Here's a thread which describes the total out-the-door cost of building. If you're on a really tight budget, like I was, you may consider ATA, which runs for under $600 shipped in the States. Post to Canada shouldn't be much more. Keep in mind that's for an untrimmed kit, so you'd need to trim the excess off, which gives my maximum flexibility for fitment. As you alluded to, if you foresee your body form changing between now and when you're of Legion age, you may want to hold off on fitment-related trimming.

Finally, in case it's helpful for you, once you to get everything pulled together, here is a resource compilation thread I created for ANH TK builders. For the Empire!

Surprisingly, I've already read two of those links, I'll also be sure to have a look at ATA, I probably won't be making my armour from scratch, heh. I've also already found all the other soft and other components, minus a Blaster and a Thermal Detonator, I'm also not really on a tight budget either, because I do have a bit of time before I pass the age restriction, perhaps I'll even get my armour to Centurion if I try enough. Anyways, thanks.

(Edit) I wonder if there are any age exceptions, or you need to be above 18 yrs..

Edited by Scout
Adding stuff.
  • Like 1

Yea I've been looking at ATA as well, just as my first set, maybe it'll be AP, I'm still doing a lot of research into what armour has its pros and cons, by the way, anyone know a good e-11 blaster vendor? I've been looking around and the one's I've found are either out of stock, or not replying to people.