Joes First attempt at AM TK build

Jedi106

1 hour ago, Jedi106 said:

I'm jumping around a bit but want to get a good understanding of the overall build. I have AM armor. How do I tell the difference between the right and left calf/shin on AM armor? There is one angle on the upper side cuff that  dips lower than the other. looks like a lot of the threads are old in the tutorials. My AM doesn't have the calve return edge built in. THanks!

As you can see here, the inside of the shin has a curvature that begins higher than the outside, which is similar to the profile of the calf muscles.

470px-TK_anh_stunt.jpeg

Also, I am building an AM kit as well from Dave and the front does have the flat profile for the cover strips. I cut each side down to 10mm from the edge of the profile to allow for a 20mm cover strip. This is the inside of the right shin.

cPcURy3.jpg

Edited by Firedog

Yep. Solid copy. I too have that in front. and am attempting the same.  But I was reading some old treads where they talked about a built in overlap in the back for the velcro or clasps. 

If you look at the chunky trim around the top edge. On when you assemble the two sides there is one chunk of trim that kind of points more down (terrible English) than the other one which is pointed yet more flat. I will attempt to send picture. Or I may just be loosing my mind....

IJeNoPr.jpg

This is the two sides next to each other. The one at which I am pointing is the side that points down more. 

In this photo the two sides are assembled. I am pointing at the one that is sits lower. 

AohGgZZ.jpg

Does that make sense or am I nuts?

I understand the confusion as I was puzzled by it as well when starting on mine. The side that angles lower is always on the left side with this AM armor, although I am not sure about other makers. So, even though the top angles down more on the left side, they are still shaped differently in the calf area. Here is a photo from @David G's build thread that should help.

AZgjRhO.jpg?1

I understand the confusion as I was puzzled by it as well when starting on mine. The side that angles lower is always on the left side with this AM armor, although I am not sure about other makers. So, even though the top angles down more on the left side, they are still shaped differently in the calf area. Here is a photo from [mention=35753]David G[/mention]'s build thread that should help.

AZgjRhO.jpg?1&key=c43ce8086afdcf5fa4855668fdf84323be1bf1b36d090f9f39a8f5153f433d42

7792bf1f3e22618161318748037d4bfa.jpg
I’m building an AM kit so perhaps the pieces are different. Here is how I laid them out with confirmation from the manufacturer. See second pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7792bf1f3e22618161318748037d4bfa.jpg&key=73e92a1c2d1fc8bce11356c7bd952df13387b427d3ddd95ceb6f95ab38e4ff4c
I’m building an AM kit so perhaps the pieces are different. Here is how I laid them out with confirmation from the manufacturer. See second pic.

5cce696fbd4979cb87232992a14ac569.jpg

Ok....So one of the exteme/deep  angles will be on the outside left leg and one on the inside right leg? Is that what im tracking?
You the man! Thanks!

Okay so now that I’m clear that we are all AM, I would recommend joining the AM Armor’s Costuming Group on Facebook if you aren’t already a member. I got awesome advice on our specific kit because that’s all that group is about. Hope to see you there!

• Like 2

Finished the thighs tonight. To date, aside from the helmet ears, was the thigh ammo/battery pack has been the WORST. Had to heat it up a few times and kind of mold it around the lower thigh section. Still has some spacing issues but its the best I could do. Got a slight tilt upward to cover the seam but not sure the angle is right. Something just doesn't look right. 

TUWrqoQ.jpg

MPpaLOv.jpg

I have what may be an obvious question...again. I am going to trim and fit the ab to kidney plate connection. I have some pretty good overlap. Would I trim from the ab section only? It appears that if I started trimming the kidney it would lend to also trimming the butt plate. I looked through the treads but couldn't find anything on trimming. Just the placement of the riviets and the nylon webbing to the left side.

Thanks,

Joe

29 minutes ago, Jedi106 said:

Finished the thighs tonight. To date, aside from the helmet ears, was the thigh ammo/battery pack has been the WORST. Had to heat it up a few times and kind of mold it around the lower thigh section. Still has some spacing issues but its the best I could do. Got a slight tilt upward to cover the seam but not sure the angle is right. Something just doesn't look right. 

TUWrqoQ.jpg

MPpaLOv.jpg

I have what may be an obvious question...again. I am going to trim and fit the ab to kidney plate connection. I have some pretty good overlap. Would I trim from the ab section only? It appears that if I started trimming the kidney it would lend to also trimming the butt plate. I looked through the treads but couldn't find anything on trimming. Just the placement of the riviets and the nylon webbing to the left side.

Thanks,

Joe

On the Ab/Kidney, I trimmed equal amounts off of each. I ended up trimming some off of the butt plate and even added the notch, which isn't a requirement but does help some with mobility and is generally covered by the belt.

36r6qfS.jpg

The ammo belt looks good, but you may need a bit more radius at the bottom. It's difficult to tell from the photo.

Also, don't forget to chamfer the corners of your cover stips.

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 2