Joes First attempt at AM TK build

Jedi106

Hello,

First time attempt at building anything like this so please forgive the questions if they seem a bit naïve or uninformed.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself but had a question regarding overlapping ab and kidney piece. If I have the room to do so could I overlap them. Secure one side with rivets (not sure of the induced stress on the armor that this would cause) and the other with a velcro strapping set up similar to actual body armor? Not sure how this would look as an endstate product but it is very neat and clean when it is tapped up. Instead of rivets on one side I could do both with a tac velco set up. 

I was shooting for basic 501st approval this go. Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice you can provide. 

ab and kidney overlap.jpg

Hello and welcome aboard.

They should not overlap, one side butts up together with rivets and the other butts together and has a single snap at the top on the right side.

Generally armor should fit a persons body but on some occasions depending on frame it may need to be either sized or padded. I am quite thin so I have some padding in the arms and behind the ab plate.

Here is some references:

lA0qpzp.jpg?1  K0dBed7.jpg?1  

When in doubt it's a good idea to check the Gallery section for references ;) 

gallery_12157_16_12210.jpg

gallery_12157_16_24471.jpg

Hey thanks,

Yep, I see how it goes together now. My initial thought was that it could just close however. But after looking at the reference pics I see now. Is that one snap on the right side enough to hold the side together? Does the belt help with securing it?

T

1 minute ago, Jedi106 said:

Hey thanks,

Yep, I see how it goes together now. My initial thought was that it could just close however. But after looking at the reference pics I see now. Is that one snap on the right side enough to hold the side together? Does the belt help with securing it?

T

That snap is just a detail you also add strapping behind

R63O0di.jpg&key=bacbc4557a89b597b8008151

Thanks! 

Looking at the picture are the split rivets actually holding anything together or is it to represent screen accuracy? It looks like they have snaps affixed to the inside that actually connect the clam shell. Is  there some type of tutorial as to best way to cut the ab plate to size. Or just the standard measure 4 times then slice?

12 minutes ago, Jedi106 said:

Thanks! 

Looking at the picture are the split rivets actually holding anything together or is it to represent screen accuracy? It looks like they have snaps affixed to the inside that actually connect the clam shell. Is  there some type of tutorial as to best way to cut the ab plate to size. Or just the standard measure 4 times then slice?

Most use the split rivets to hold the strapping in place.  Some add fancy snap systems to it as well - the interior strapping is really up to the person as long as it looks accurate from the outside.  That said, there are some tried and true methods that work very well. 

Check out the build section and go through some of the builds if you have not yet done so. The pinned threads are pretty good - check out Ukswrath's Anovos and AM build thread.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

Good luck!

Check out AJ's AM build thread and a few that are ongoing. You have some reading to do (but it is a great topic) and it should address any questions you might have on specific AM kits. 

Look at EIB and Cent submissions for AM armor, you can see the "finished" product. As part of the submission, there are links to their build threads. 

My suggestion is to build to Cent now, its not much more work and easy to do it as part of the original build versus having to make changes to a built kit.

Here is my strapping, I used the rivets to hold the snaps and both sides are using tandy with a nylon strap. I did make my right side function strap with a tab system. Ultimately the belt helps hold the pieces together.

zVnpKaw.jpg

I second Lou’s pointer towards AJ’s build thread. If you can’t find it, I have a link to it in my All-In-One Resource thread, below. I would link to AJ’s thread directly, but I don’t have access to it at this time. Additionally, AJ’s thread is so great that I actually created a printable PDF of it, which can also be downloaded and viewed on a tablet.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Using a double snap system inside can be the difference from not trooping to trooping, occasionally a snap can fail and if you don't have a spare your day is done, a little more work but can pay in the long run. I lost a shoulder strap snap and if it wasn't for the extra snap I wouldn't have trooped ;) 

You can use what every you like inside the armor as it is not seen, many use velcro and it works for them, I prefer snaps and elastic as it has some give and stays in the exact same place each time I put it on, well until the elastic stretches over years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LTM said:

Check out AJ's AM build thread and a few that are ongoing. You have some reading to do (but it is a great topic) and it should address any questions you might have on specific AM kits. 

Look at EIB and Cent submissions for AM armor, you can see the "finished" product. As part of the submission, there are links to their build threads. 

My suggestion is to build to Cent now, its not much more work and easy to do it as part of the original build versus having to make changes to a built kit.

Here is my strapping, I used the rivets to hold the snaps and both sides are using tandy with a nylon strap. I did make my right side function strap with a tab system. Ultimately the belt helps hold the pieces together.

zVnpKaw.jpg

I utilized this hinge and tab system in my torso and really love how it keeps everything lined up perfectly!

Edited by Firedog
  • Like 1

Guys, Thanks so much. Making more sense to me. Sorry for the bad questions. 

The only bad question is a question unasked. Keep ‘em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Keep the questions coming! Look at those other AM builds, Firedog above is doing the same build so you guys are now build buddies. When you hit a snag or question, more than likely it has happened to others and we all want you to succeed. 

Keep in mind no matter how well you build it, you WILL make changes after your first troop! But those changes are specific to you, and only you will know after wearing the armor. 

Is seems daunting to make it, but the satisfaction of building and seeing the smiles from all the kids is awesome!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LTM said:

Keep the questions coming! Look at those other AM builds, Firedog above is doing the same build so you guys are now build buddies. When you hit a snag or question, more than likely it has happened to others and we all want you to succeed. 

Keep in mind no matter how well you build it, you WILL make changes after your first troop! But those changes are specific to you, and only you will know after wearing the armor. 

Is seems daunting to make it, but the satisfaction of building and seeing the smiles from all the kids is awesome!

I'm definitely down to answer any questions I can. I am building two kits and decided to get the learning out of the way on mine so hopefully I can build my son's more efficiently without having to second guess and re-tweak as much as I have on mine. These other threads, especially the AM builds, have been a wealth of knowledge as well. 

8 hours ago, Jedi106 said:

Guys, Thanks so much. Making more sense to me. Sorry for the bad questions. 

It's better to ask rather than making a mistake ;) 

You can find a lot of references in others build threads, normally the armor make is listed in the title of the thread however assembly and trimming is pretty much the same across the makes of costumes ;) 

https://i.imgur.com/tfDNt5V.jpg[/img

]oYTuM2a.jpg

Here is first flight of the helmet. I have some concerns with the brow band termination point, Teeth (just in general), ear screw placement, and the ear gaps between the helmet. Also one of the HOVI tips looks a little boogered. I can replace the brow band fairly easily...I think. The mesh on the mouth is velcroed on in case I need to work the teeth more. Not sure if I can fix the HOI placement. And the ear screws might be a bridge too far. 

Any input is greatly appreciated! 

You can add multiple images into one post, just make sure you use the "direct link" or right clip, cop and paste directly into your post.

Coming along nicely

The helmet looks good. With the AM helmets, it’s difficult to get the ears back to where the screws are directly in line with the back of the traps. I ended up taking mine apart and trimming some more to move them further back, but still not as far back as other kits. I believe this is a suggestion but not a disqualification  at any level l, as I’ve seen in some ANH screen helmets, the ears were a little more forward. Also, I think the angle of your ears, brow height, and teeth trim look good. 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Using a double snap system inside can be the difference from not trooping to trooping, occasionally a snap can fail and if you don't have a spare your day is done, a little more work but can pay in the long run. I lost a shoulder strap snap and if it wasn't for the extra snap I wouldn't have trooped ;) 

Amen!

Looking GREAT, Joe... excellent work on the ear gaps and teeth!  It may be the photo angle, but the top of the right eye opening looks to have a "sleepy" appearance (pic 1) to it as opposed to the left one, so you may want to think about trimming that a bit.

In a perfect world, the brow trim should end at the rear of the trap, but since there are lots of inconsistencies in the screen used ones (pics 2-4) you are good.  The height you have it at is spot-on.

The Hovi-tips look fine.  Again, there was a lot of wonkiness in the originals (part of their charm) so I personally would leave them as is.  But, is that silver paint on the rims?  If so, they should actually be white. ;)

1.                                                            2.                              3.                             4. 

idm6LO9.jpg?1     9AcGaup.jpg?4    TczCOnR.jpg?2  LEiNRPl.jpg

Keep up the fantastic job, and keep the photos and questions coming!  :jc_doublethumbup:

I'm jumping around a bit but want to get a good understanding of the overall build. I have AM armor. How do I tell the difference between the right and left calf/shin on AM armor? There is one angle on the upper side cuff that  dips lower than the other. looks like a lot of the threads are old in the tutorials. My AM doesn't have the calve return edge built in. THanks!