WIP: Realistic Commander Pyre , supported by the voice Liam McIntyre himself!

Sano

Its big update time

I changed some parts with the Denuo Novo kit.

New bicep armor

2cqrKI3.jpg

1jUCg30.jpg

The ab armor was the most time consuming part. As I will never ever fit into the standard Anovos ab armor (I'd need to cut my pelvic bone lol),  I decided to go with the DN parts and add 5cm of material on each side. And because Im super OCD, I bondoed the seams with 2part exoxy glue. For the ouside boxes it was lots of measuring to get it nice and accurately on the new area but I think it looks good now :) The inside is reinforced with fiberglass. There wont break anything.

cQLnPqX.jpg

lfKGgMO.jpg

exfd0p9.jpg

tYPRBAI.jpg

TfG5sUN.jpg

v5ubRDg.jpg

ByTRrxP.jpg

I reinforced the cast from original detonator with fiberglass as well.

fGrd9PN.jpg

eOHzXUQ.jpg

Also I built the spats that I made for this project.

3jfYB3K.jpg

The back/joke has also added material. Also I cut in the slots for the straps that hold the shoulders. Last time I forgot to add these and before I rechrome that part, I thought that I add them this time. 

73ZLHja.jpg

bT2gpI6.jpg

Almost all parts laid out.

22SbYl6.jpg

--

So all parts that needs to be grey are at the paintshop again. All parts that need rechroming, are at the chromers. This time I'll use a different company which does the silver nitrate procedure.  They do the back/joke and spats asap so I get them before Celebration. After that I probably get everything redone, depending on how good they match the golden color :)

• Like 6

Wow Dino, way to go with your upgrades. This is going to be Epic and we finally might get this CRL complete!!!

I'm sure there are many pretty darn excited about this.

• Like 2

You're on the home stretch! :56pullhair: Wow, just saw this thread. I've always loved C3PO and the fact that we soon will have a gold trooper in the CRL is incredibly exciting! I love your YouTube channel too! Let's goooo :peace:

thank you guys!

Just heard back from the chromers. They said it should be done by the end of next week which is awesome. So plenty of time left for strapping and all that stuff :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As Celebration comes closer every day, I feel like I can do a more or less big update today. I can finally post the first CRL pictures! :-)

I hope they are good to work with. The ones that are missing need final strapping which should be done in the next few days.

Boots:

zhaGj5a.jpg

c6IzwNl.jpg

Spats / Shins:

N2PPMzp.jpg

owSK53M.jpg

gfXXunM.jpg

WNbVlsq.jpg

Those parts are glued together as Dan did with his kit. Tricky to get on but everything stays in place :-D

Knee plates with gaskets:

ZaqcJWu.jpg

Thighs:

A1yhEYC.jpg

76CT8RV.jpg

Codpiece:

ygmG3xh.jpg

Posterior armor:

OAdYF0I.jpg

Abdomen Armor:

j7JPqe5.jpg

Detonator:

rqqtPmD.jpg

zTBEMtC.jpg

20w80QG.jpg

• Like 4

Could I suggest using a better contrasting background, would help image editing a lot easier.

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Could I suggest using a better contrasting background, would help image editing a lot easier.

I can offer red or blue as well :)

23 hours ago, Sano said:

I can offer red or blue as well :)

Either should work as they are very contrasting

Just make sure when taking the photos for CRL images that the coloured backdrops don't change the colour of the pieces visa reflection.

need to try and keep them looking as gold as possible so the dark background might be better for that.

Experiment perhaps and post some comparison shots of say the cod with the blue and the red for the images we intend to use for the CRL.

This is looking beautiful Dino, beautiful!!

Just make sure when taking the photos for CRL images that the coloured backdrops don't change the colour of the pieces visa reflection.
need to try and keep them looking as gold as possible so the dark background might be better for that.
Experiment perhaps and post some comparison shots of say the cod with the blue and the red for the images we intend to use for the CRL.

This is looking beautiful Dino, beautiful!!

So make sure the background is a rainbow effect. That way it gets all the colors reflecting off equally. Jk.

The progress is fantastic. Saw your posts a while ago and was excited to see more progress!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MHugS9R.jpg

Iv7ggwH.jpg

8ACcrTM.jpg

CQ0xUMc.jpg

yGpoz5G.jpg

RfSdXMg.jpg

r0Jlh9S.jpg

I know some parts are not sitting 100% right, but for a first try with the new parts Im very happy with it :)

• Like 8

You did end up getting the helmet re done without the black brow trim correct?

That's the standout on those photos as they are of your original helmet.

• 3 weeks later...

Celebration is over, as you have seen probably, I missed all the group photos. It was hella stresful because of multiple things. But all in all it was great wearing Pyre - also because of the resonance. "Finally some appreciation for Resistance" haha

So in regards of the Ref Pics for the CRL, I asked a good friend of mine who does Photoshop for a living to edit one picture as an example. I asked him to cut it out and put it on a transparent background, so less work for you guys I assume. 

The reflection however is something I really cant get rid of. My photobox is the most neutral background I could offer, thats just the downside of being a shiny. And just for transparency, the corners top left and right are edited, you cannot see it but as you can imagine, natural wear and tear is crazy especially with chrome plated pieces, so there were scratches down to the black undercoat. And obviously I cannot rechrome all parts directly haha

Hg9k793.png

If this works, I'll do all the other photos asap :)

Would be good to also get the CRL text posted and start to make adjustments to wording to fit Pyre, while waiting for photos.

CRL Wording:

Helmet

The helmet is mirror reflective in a gold color.

Lenses are smoky brown or gray in color. They may be bubble in shape or flat and must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

• A single golden aerator/mic tip is on the lower left side of the wearer's chin.
  • The frown is solid black and covered in a black hexagonal mesh pattern that extends to the tears.
  • Each tear (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) is solid black.
  • Seven recessed tube stripes are present on each side of the helmet.
  • Two clip greeblies are present over the traps on the side.
  • Two clip greeblies are present on the top of the helmet, parallel to the trap greeblies.
  • There is a slight groove that circles the helmet, above the brow.
  • There is a slight groove that circles the helmet along the bottom and over the chin.
  • Directly below the traps toward the base of the helmet is a small trapezoidal stripe.

Neck Seal

Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

Neck seal has a bib on front and back.

Neck seal has 11 ribs.

Chest Armor

Chest is mirror reflective in a golden color.

The chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate.

The “cut-out” in the center-top of the chest plate is recessed and black on the side and upward facing edges.

A small clasp greeblie is present on each side of the chest, just inside a small indented area the size of the greeblie.

There is a groove running vertical on each lateral side of the chest that angles toward the center.

Six recessed black ovals are on the wearer's right side, left of the greeblie.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

Channel on sides of chest show clear separation.

Back/Yoke

Yoke is mirror reflective in a golden color.

The back plate contains a "O II" design.

The back/yoke is one seamless piece.

The yoke portion extends over the wearer's shoulders and curves under the armpits.

Thermal Detonator

The thermal detonator mounting plate is painted slate grey (flat), and sits under the back plate and rests above the belt.

The control panel is black.

The right-hand recessed end cape is black.

The left-hand end cap extends from the detonator assembly and is black all around the cylinder as well as the end surface. A silver stripe is present around the end of the cylinder that extends slightly onto the circular surface.

There should be no visible seams.

Small section of black around the base of the left extended end cap shall be present.

Shoulder Gaskets

Gaskets are made of rubber or a shiny black material with ridges.

The shoulder gaskets cover all exposed areas under the shoulder bell, between the bicep and chest, and between bicep and back.

Gaskets are made of rubber. Fabric gaskets are not acceptable.

Shoulder Bells

One on each shoulder.

Bells are mirror reflective in a golden color.

The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical. They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.

Shoulders have small round extension at the top under the bell itself that butts up against the yoke.

Biceps

Biceps are painted slate grey ( flat ).

Biceps have only one seam on the side that faces forward.

A clip greeblie is present low and across the seam.

Two black ovals are present on the outward facing side of the bicep.

Ridges in bicep must be present (small detailed section).

Elbow gaskets

The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the bicep and forearm.

Gaskets are made of rubber. Fabric gaskets are not acceptable.

Forearms

Forearms are mirror reflective in a golden color.

Forearms have a ridged rail, similar to a picatinny, embedded on the inside of the forearm.

Forearms have a box on the bottom the wrist end, roughly covering 1/3rd of the embedded rail.

Each forearm has two 'clasp greeblies' on the outward facing surface, near the wrist.

Detail box includes black rectangle on small edge perpendicular and closest to wrist.

Gloves/Handplates

Are black with black palm, thumb and forefinger.

Extend underneath the forearm.

Black area is made from leather or leather-like material.

Handplates are rigid square boxes and the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove.

Handplates are painted slate grey ( flat )

The recessed oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.

A black decal or paint may be used to emulate the recessed oval detail.

Kxk78Q9.png

dwmyV5J.jpg

UWSccin.jpg

v1fMeG0.jpg

PcTLyRn.jpg

Glove palm must have black stitching.

Abdomen Section

Abdomen section is painted slate grey ( flat ).

The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body.

The abdomen has 7 boxes attached that matches the order and placement shown.

The large box has a small black recessed square to on the lower left of the wearer.

The second box to the right of the wearer has a small black recessed rectangle near the top.

Codpiece

The codpiece is mirror reflective in a golden color

The codpiece sits below the abdomen and under the belt.

Hg9k793.png

Posterior armor

Posterior armor is mirror in a golden color.

The posterior armor sits below the abdomen and under the belt.

The top portion of the part is hidden by the belt and used to connect the plate to the abdomen armor.

ZHyRTmZ.png

Belt

The belt is ribbed and made from a rubber or a rubber like material. The width of the belt is approximately 2" (50mm).

Five white rectangular boxes and one pouch sit on the belt. Boxes are painted slate grey ( flat ).

There are 2 horizontal boxes on the front, on each side of the center. They are painted white on the outside half and black on the inside half.

There are 2 vertical boxes on the right of the wearer.

There is a large vertical black pouch with a white cover behind the left side of the wearer.

A small black cloth pouch is worn on the left side and hides the buckle or remaining belt material.

Undersuit

An undergarment must be worn such that the space between the thighs and the belt shows a black material. The black material may be shiny or matte.

The reference photo shows the type used on screen but is not required for basic approval.

The shorts area of the undersuit should be shiny

Thighs

Thighs are mirror reflective in a golden color.

There are seams on the inside and outside of each thigh.

A clip greeblie is present high and across the outside seams of each thigh.

The wearer's right thigh includes a base for a weapon holster. Holster does not need to be functional.

jVKWdiR.jpg

yNnDRRv.jpg3cKZWpw.jpg

Knee Gaskets

The knee gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin.

Gaskets shall be made of rubber. Fabric gaskets are not acceptable.

Knee Plates

The knee plates are mirror reflective in a golden color.

The knee plates mirror each other and are placed evenly between the thigh and the shin.

Convex edge of knee plate faces downward.

YKp4J2q.jpg

Shins

Shins are mirror reflective in a golden color.

There are seams on the inside and outside of the shins, with the opening on the inside.

A clip greeblie is present high and across the outside seams of each shin.

Both shins include two vertical thin boxes that are seamless.

There are pills at the bottom of the shins just above the spats.

Spats

Mirror reflective in a golden color.

Spats wrap around the lower ankle.

The spats are enclosed on the outside of the ankle with a greeblie that overlaps the open side.

There is a visible seam on the ankle.

Boots

The boots are above-ankle height, and made of white leather or leather-like material.

There is a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot.

There is a vertical zipper on the inside that spans the height of the boot.

There is a black flat sole with no heel.

No buckles or laces.

Armor plate on top of the boot

Armor plate is Mirror reflective in a golden color.

hM1HcCK.png

Shoulder Pauldron

A slate grey ornament made of rigid plastic or plastic-like material, worn over the right shoulder.

Edited by Sano
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Would be good to also get the CRL text posted and start to make adjustments to wording to fit Pyre, while waiting for photos.

There you go 

I'm pretty sure I already loaded all of this into a Wiki origin document a year ago. I used the TFA First Order TK and Phasma  platform,  just need to find the link to it and have some time to edit anything that might have changed it will be done.

On 4/22/2023 at 2:34 PM, Sano said:

There you go 

Personally, I would remove the reference to requiring rubber gaskets at any level. Given that this costume has no real-world reference, there is no way to confirm that the gaskets should be made of rubber from the toy. Plus, it's a dumb rule anyways, imo.

The reflections in the cod are really bad, and it may be worth just trying again with the darker background so the light reflects a little differently.

The images don"t need to be so close up if they are a reasonable resolution we can work with that, i only need small files to upload into the Wiki document so we are'nt looking for award winning images for the CRL.

I appreciate the work to have them cut out but we also have a couple of staff available to help me with also removing images from the background to speed up the process for you.

Importantly use the TFA TK CRL as your guide to the way we set out the pieces for photos, this way our CRL's have a level of consistency to them, or sense of familiarity.

26 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

The reflections in the cod are really bad, and it may be worth just trying again with the darker background so the light reflects a little differently.

The images don"t need to be so close up if they are a reasonable resolution we can work with that, i only need small files to upload into the Wiki document so we are'nt looking for award winning images for the CRL.

I appreciate the work to have them cut out but we also have a couple of staff available to help me with also removing images from the background to speed up the process for you.

Importantly use the TFA TK CRL as your guide to the way we set out the pieces for photos, this way our CRL's have a level of consistency to them, or sense of familiarity.

I tried various photos, the one I posted here was the best. If I lay it flat on the ground, you'll just see my arms with my phone. What I posted here is the best I can do. Other than that I could just photograph it somewhere else but then you see the rest of my appartment. And if I have to redo the cod piece now, I have to redo all the others that I have taken as well and thats a little frustrating. Thats the downside if you want to take a picture of a mirror. I would appreciate if we can move along with the fact that reflections are inevitable. I can just minimize them..

How to sell mirrors only

Regarding the editing I agree but maybe it speeds up things. I'd love to troop officially in Pyre for May 4th so I do what I can to support as best as I can

EDIT: Updated CRL draft here with pictures

Edited by Sano
  • Like 1

Totally understand the difficulty, and it was the reason why they covered C3PO in wax when they were shooting ANH.

High reflective surfaces look awesome in the flesh but are the nightmare to photograph.

We can clean them up to a degree in post so you are not seen in the image, I am also happy to have a comment line in the CRL that clearly states due to the nature of the High reflective surface some post image work was required to remove the reflection of the photographer.

I think that will allow everyone to understand the issues, just like any of those with a metalised 3PO costume do.

No one will be concerned with approval photos as it is the nature of the beast, but we don't particularly want people laughing at the CRL images because you are in every one lol.

Transparency is the key with things like this under consideration.

• Like 1