WIP: Realistic Commander Pyre , supported by the voice Liam McIntyre himself!

Sano

10 hours ago, Sano said:

Small Update here

Not many know that I had a depression 3 - 4 years ago, which ultimately resulted in gaining approx. 40kg from 90 - 130.
Everyone who worked on the Anovos FOTK armor knows, that they are made for thinner people. Thats why I sold my FOTK back in 2016 or so.
But: Talking to professionals and changing some mindsets really helped and you cannot imagine the happiness I felt, when I tried the armor on again. Yes, I built that armor on purpose by not fitting it to my proportions. Because I knew I once fitted in there. So.. yea 

Y6Ch7r4.jpg

Whats next:
I'm still waiting for the detonator. The black FO TK boots as well as gloves are ordered from Imperial Boots. Once I get them, I get the boots 3d scanned to get the boot plates modeled so that they fit perfectly. Then painting the armor gloss black and then gold chroming 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Damn Dino, you are looking fantastic dude!!, glad to see you back at it and looking like your armour fits you well.

Keep up the great work and can't wait to get this CRL done and approved.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A small update here:

First I thought I can simply make the boot plates by myself, but I know myself, being lazy here and there, got the Imperial Boots FO TK boots 3d scanned and got the plates modeled nicely to fit the boots perfectly.

3y1pqeT.jpg

Was the expense worth it? Depends. :D Now I dont get headaches of how I get the plates perfectly symmetrical etc. 

While Im writing this, the plates get 3d printed

Also, the blaster is currently at a paintshop for thr gloss black coat. Before, @Shimo did some heavy mods to the blaster to fit the TRamp BlastFX board with electronics perfectly.

Last step is getting the cfo Detonator.. then paint and gold chrome :D

Edited by Sano
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, Im slowly getting to the point of choosing a color. The FCO Detonator is currently in transit to me. After assembling and prepping for paint everything will be send of to get painted professionally. Gloss black obviously for the gold chrome. But what about the other color. To me it looks like grey ( in contrast to the black undersuit) . But which RAL color would you recommend?

Also.. matte or gloss grey? Since the figure is gold but not mirror gold, I think its just production wise / a reduction of costs that its matte gold. Hence I think the grey could be glossy in real life version as well.

But before I do anything, I'd like to ask you guys what would be approvable

This is an interesting one Dino.

In most cases, TK's are shiny, gloss finish, and when looking at the two action figures, one is more reflective than the other.

The only time we see a Matt  or non gloss finish is on the TLJ Executioner troopers black details like Shoulder bell, helmet and Yolk of the back plate.

If there is no clear descriptor for the grey areas, then I will discuss further with the LMO's and get back to you.

In saying this, when looking at the animated images, it looks to be more a Matt finish than it would a shiny one.

I'll keep you posted.

rtG2cTk.png

4x2Ws19.png

fgSlxWN.jpg

GOUboNK.png

QofqK6A.png

QqKT8yo.jpg

• Like 1

Discussing with LMO's now.

Couple of things firstly lets try and not mix all the references. Animated is animated and action figures show a more realistic version.

I know I've said it before, action figures really should not be the sole source of a costume if it's not seen on screen, but what are we to do in all honesty. LMO's will allow it then we work with it.

I'll add to this that as LMO's change, so do the views of their office and what is and is not allowed. We can also push back to a degree.

I'll now move this back around to your current questions.

Use the action figure and I would suggests the Black series to determine the correct colour grey. If that looks shiny then we go for shiny. If it looks Satin, we go for satin etc.

This also means that the brow trim 100% will need to be gold as per the references.

The twin II on the calfs will remain as that was decided upon/approved by an LMO last year.

keep up the great work Dino, cant wait to see this fully complete.

So.. Liam McIntyre got announced for German Comic Con, which is like 10 minutes away from me. Thats gonna be some busy 2 weeks!!

• Like 3

Guys I really need some help finding a good color code for the grey. :D Any help here is appreciated as you can imagine my head is now at a lot of things. I also want to get a booth at comic con with my helmets and stuff. To me it almost looks black, + to me it looks flat. Definetly not glossy.

My personal take would for realistic would be following on from the TLJ-E which is a matt black which gives the appearance of a grey against gloss and satin black, BUT I guess it is ultimately up to the LMO's interpretation of what references you supply for comparison. No doubt Andrew will weigh in and perhaps approach the LMO's.

Who's the current LMO for the Stormtroopers. Maybe I can talk to him as well, just because of the time :D Today Im going to finish up the cfo Detonator and will do final touches here and there - but all on all everything is done

4 minutes ago, Sano said:

Who's the current LMO for the Stormtroopers. Maybe I can talk to him as well, just because of the time :D Today Im going to finish up the cfo Detonator and will do final touches here and there - but all on all everything is done

The LMO team use a single email lmo@501st.com. but our DL Andrew is the go between for Stormtrooper enquiries so perhaps PM Andrew first as he may be able to get a quicker response, after all he has been conversing with them throughout this project.

Work of the day: sanding and filling imperfections on the cfo detonator

Before:

h9b2OFa.jpg

After:

DkGpkEI.jpg

SnCATSs.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'll start calling local paintshops. So far so good

Edited by Sano

If you look at the data sheet for the animated character, you can see they have used a different colour for each of the colours of the costume. The grey areas are indicated in pink so I would suggests it is not black  definitely a grey. (the action figures show it to be grey as well) It is a dark tone of grey which seems consistent with the darker grey of the action figures.

because we dont have enough information on this character, you need to use the best references you have.

I have asked the LMO team for their feedback on this area.

LMO's have suggested trying a Matt grey with a gloss clear coat to try and emulate the semi shine of the figure and not the Matt finish of the animated character.

You could try that on some scrap plastic to see how the finish looks and compare to the figure images.

As to the tone of grey, paint swatches are going to be the best way for you to determine the right or closest colour. paint coeds will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and you will no doubt have access to different brands of paint than I do in Australia so this is not as easy as it seems.

This really turns into a speedbuild haha

So I spend the entire day yesterday to finish up the detonator and did some mods on the chest plate.

The cfo detonator has a foam core. I dremeled on the left side a little hole into the foam and filled it to the top with resin. With a hand sized gas burner I eliminated all air bubbles on the surface, minimizing the clean up work.

TRhOKuE.jpg

S0BNsd9.jpg

I2HFDDo.jpg

The mod on the chest was fairly easy, I thought. First I filled them with 2part epoxy glue and sanded everything down with a mouse sander. It turned out those engraved lines are not symmetrical. My inner OCD triggered af taking out the measurement band..

Once everything measured correctly, I took the cutting tool of my dremel and pre cut the new lines and then refined them with a regular file. Then I cut out the slot detail by simply sanding the back side of the resin block. Done

9D9kA0W.jpg

UdSXYrA.jpg

r81F9ly.jpg

LEEqiGE.jpg

3Ab0iyC.jpg

Jt9Qd0B.jpg

Tq4eusk.jpg

Now everythings at the paintshop 5 minutes away from me. They aim to finish the gloss black parts by Thursday or Friday by latest so I have one week to drive 500km to get the parts vac metalized. The grey parts however can be finished next week. For the grey we decided that RAL 7015 "Schiefergrau" fits best. Its kinda dark but looks also very decent when in direct light. It will be matte but since the paint will be very smooth, it will still reflect the light like a satin finish. 

Question: The back part of the 2 front boxes.. also grey or black like on Phasma, FOTK etc? I cant really see it on the toy.

Edited by Sano

Mission "Complete Commander Pyre in 2 weeks" is in full swing at the moment. The paintshop made an amazing job for the high gloss parts. This night I'm doing a 5 hour drive to a plating company which will plate the armor in full gold optics. In the best case I can pick it up next wednesday, which gives me 2 more days for strapping

goeYz2V.jpg

gat2sjp.jpg

gZLYcEl.jpg

Edited by Sano
  • Like 4

We will need to get cracking on the CRL, but at least the frame work of the Standard FOTK can be used and modified as well as expanded on.

On 9/3/2021 at 12:22 AM, Sly11 said:

We will need to get cracking on the CRL, but at least the frame work of the Standard FOTK can be used and modified as well as expanded on.

you mean we start drawfting the crl here now? :D

Yep.

This is the part where we work with the member who is creating the new to legion costume, to make sure the explanations of the various components and colours etc are appropriately descriptive for the base level CRL.

In addition to that, we look at what things should be Expert infantry lvl and if there is anything that fits for a centurion level as well.

This is the link to the standard FOTK CRL, this is our frame work to build upon.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_-_First_Order

As you will see, things like the holster have allowances at basic as in it must be present compared to the higher level where it must be functional to pass EI.

Much of the language we need is already here, it is the differing parts, like the shins and the coloured parts that require the focus.

As you and others chime in with suggestions the CRL will start to form, then i take it to the LMO team for scrutiny, and suggestions before I build the final version and submit for it to go live.

Helmet

The helmet is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

Lenses are smoky brown, gray or black in color. They may be bubble in shape or flat and must be sufficiently dark enough to obscure the costumer's eyes.

A single gold aerator/mic tip is on the lower left side of the wearer's chin.

The frown is solid black and covered in a black hexagonal mesh pattern that extends to the tears.

Each tear (area beneath the corners of eye lenses) is solid black.

Seven recessed tube stripes are present on each side of the helmet.

Two clip greeblies are present over the traps on the side.

Two clip greeblies are present on the top of the helmet, parallel to the trap greeblies.

Along the base of the helmet, a black stripe runs from the side of the helmet and across the back to the other side.

There is a slight groove that circles the helmet, above the brow.

There is a slight groove that circles the helmet along the bottom and over the chin.

A brow of solid gold material spans from the traps over the lenses.

Directly below the traps toward the base of the helmet is a small trapezoidal stripe.

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

The seven recessed tube stripe slots on each side of the helmet are fully cut out.

-- 

Neckseal

Black with horizontal ribs, fitted to the wearer, and extending from the base of the neck to conceal the entire neck. No hair or skin should be visible around the neck area.

Ideally, the neckseal shall have 11 ribs.

The neckseal has a glossy finish.

--

Shoulder Pauldron

A grey ornament made of rigid plastic or plastic-like material, worn over the right shoulder.

--

Chest Plate

The chest plate is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The chest plate overlaps the abdominal plate.

The center-top of the chest plate is recessed and black on the side and upward facing edges.

A smaller clasp greeblie shall be present on each side of the chest, just inside a small indented area the size of the greeblie.

There is a slight groove running vertical on each lateral side of the chest that angles toward the center.

Six recessed black ovals are on the wearer's right side, left of the greeblie.

Grooves on sides of chest should show clear separation.

Six recessed black ovals are cut out and backed with black material.

--

Back/Yoke

The back/Yoke is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The back plate contains a "O II" design, and the O is black in color.

There are no visible seams on the back/yoke.

The yoke portion extends over the wearer's shoulders and curves under the armpits.

A support tab extending from the outside top arch of the yoke shall be present. The support tab should be of a sturdy material, white in color.

--

Thermal Detonator

The termal detonator is painted grey, matching the reference

The thermal detonator mounting plate sits under the back plate and rests above the belt.

The control panel is black.

The righthand recessed end cap is black.

The lefthand end cap extends from the detonator assembly and is black all around the cylinder as well as the end surface. A white stripe is present around the end of the cylinder that extends slightly onto the circular surface.

A visible seam is allowed between the cylinder and backing plate.

--

Shoulder Gaskets

Gaskets shall be rubber or a shiny black material with ridges.

The shoulder gaskets must cover all exposed areas under the shoulder bell, between the bicep and chest, and between bicep and back.

Gaskets shall be made of rubber. Fabric gaskets are not acceptable.

-- 

Shoulder Bells

The Shoulder Bell is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

One on each shoulder.

The shoulders are considered effectively symmetrical. They may be worn interchangeably on the left and right shoulders.

Shoulders have small round extension at the top under the bell itself that butts up against the yoke.

--

Biceps

The biceps is painted grey, matching the reference

Biceps have one seam that faces forward, and a seam on the inside of the arm. The rest of the bicep must be seamless.

A clip greeblie is present low and across the seam.

Two black ovals are present on the outside-facing side of the bicep.

Trapezoid detail and ridges in bicep must be present (small detailed section).

The inner seam should be overlapped.

Seams can be fixed or functional.

--

Elbow Gaskets

The elbow gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the bicep and forearm.

--

Forearms

The Forearms is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

Forearms shall have a ridged rail, similar to a picatinny, embedded on the inside of the forearm, roughly covered 1/3rd by a box shape.

Forearms shall have a box on the bottom the wrist end. Each box shall have a single black square in the lower inside corner.

Each forearm shall have two 'clasp greeblies' on the outside facing surface, near the wrist.

Detail box includes black rectangle on small edge perpendicular and closest to wrist.

Forearm wrist box should be separate pieces, affixed to forearms.

Forearm top plate is not attached at front of wrists.

--

Gloves/Handplates

Are black with black palm, thumb and forefinger.

Extend underneath the forearm.

Black area is made from leather or leather-like material.

The handplates are painted grey, matching the reference

Handplates are rigid square boxes and the hand plates are mounted securely over the back of the glove.

The recessed oval detail is aligned with the index finger of each hand.

A black decal or paint may be used to emulate the recessed oval detail.

Glove palm must have black stitching.

Abdomen Section

The abdomen section is painted grey, matching the reference

The abdomen section must wrap around the wearer's body without a visible seam.

The abdomen has 7 boxes attached that match the order and placement shown against the armor.

The large box has a small black recessed square on the lower left to the wearer.

The second box to the right of the wearer has a small black recessed rectangle near the top.

The boxes should sit against the abdominal plate with minimal to no gaps.

The seams between the abdominal armor and the 7 boxes should not be filled.

--

Codpiece

The codpiece is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The codpiece sits below the abdomen and under the belt.

--

Posterior armor

The posterior armor is mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The posterior armor sits below the abdomen and under the belt.

The top portion of the part shown is hidden by the belt and used to connect the plate to the abdomen armor.

--

Belt

The belt is ribbed and made from a rubber or a rubber like material. The width of the belt is approximately 2" (50mm).

Five grey rectangular boxes and one pouch sit on the belt.

There are 2 horizontal boxes on the front, on each side of the center. They are painted grey on the outside half and black on the inside half.

There are 2 vertical boxes on the right of the wearer.

There is a large vertical black pouch with a grey cover behind the left side of the wearer.

A small black cloth pouch is worn on the left side and hides the buckle or remaining belt material.

--

Undersuit

An undergarment must be worn such that the space between the thighs and the belt shows a black material. The black material may be shiny or matte.

The reference photo shows the type used on screen but is not required for basic approval.

The shorts area of the undersuit should be shiny.

--

Thighs

The thighs are mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

There are seams on the inside and outside of the thighs.

A clip greeblie is present high and across the outside seams of each thigh.

The right outside thigh to the wearer includes a base for a holster (holster must be present).

Holster must be Functional.

The inner seam should be overlapped.

Seams can be fixed or functional.

--

Knee Gaskets

The knee gaskets must cover all exposed areas between the thigh and shin.

--

Knee Plates

The knee plates are mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The knee plates mirror each other and are placed evenly between the thigh and the shin.

Convex edge of knee plate faces upward.

--

Shins

The shins are mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

There are seams on the inside and outside of the shins, with the opening on the inside.

A clip greeblie is present high and across the outside seams of each shin.

Both shins include two vertical thin boxes that are seamless on the outside.

There is a rounded rectangle at the bottom outer front of each shin, which is visible above the spat. The recessed area is black.

--

Spats

The spats are mirror reflective with gold pigment and unweathered

The spats wrap around the lower ankle, just below the black ankle rectangles.

The spats are enclosed on the outside of the ankle with a greeblie that overlaps the open side.

There is a visible seam on the inside of the ankle.

--

Boots & Foot Armor

The boots are above-ankle height, and made of black leather or leather-like material.

There is a seam down both sides of the front that swoops out to the side of the foot.

There is a vertical zipper on the inside that spans the height of the boot.

There is a black flat sole with no heel.

No buckles or laces.

Instep armor covers the entire foot around the front of the boot and goes up under the spats

• Like 1