WIP: Realistic Commander Pyre , supported by the voice Liam McIntyre himself!

Sano

Hey everyone!

Today I want to introduce a kinda different WIP.

Realistic Commander Pyre

I dont know yet, if this will ever be CRL ready, but I still want to do it. After doing a damn nice Captain Phasma last year, I need a chrome dome for myself.

There is actually a „deeper“ meaning behind that project. I mean, a freakin gold chrome Stormtrooper is damn cool on its own. But when I found out, that Mr. Liam McIntyte voiced him, I NEEDED to do that costume. I’m a huge fan of Liam’s work, his role in Spartacus in particular. When we first back in 2013 and I had the luck to talk to him for like 30 minutes behind the stage. He told me there how much he’d love to do something for Star Wars. Which happened and I am really happy for him. Liam is definetly one of the nicest celebrities I ever met, he is super down to earth and just an amazing human being.

And when I contacted him, if he’d like to see the costume project, he was amazed and wanted to see it. And well. He supports it with video messages. Like. WHAAAAT! :D In all seriousness, I’m hyped, super happy and super motivated to get this costume done.

I used a Phoenix Props TFA style helmet as a base, got it painted in gloss black and got it gold chromed in the UK.

Ax5oB7R.jpg

EgOEID4.jpg

The problem I have is mixed ref. In the animated series, Pyre has black bands around the helmet, but theres no black brow present (also not at the normal TFA TKs) . 

The realistic HASBRO figure has NO black brow and NO black bands. So thats kinda .. mixed. If necessary for CRL, I'll need to get it chromed again, but for now, I'll leave it like that. I actually like it with the black details as it gives more contrast. There's also a YouTube video of the making, including Liams message.

I have an ANOVOS pauldron in red, but need it in black. Either I find someone, who's willing to trade or sell, or Im going to paint the red in black.

Further, I have an old BETA Anovos First Order TK armor set. Pyre is technically a generic TFA TK, although there are some minor changes, like 2 bars at both lower leg armor. 

All the best

Dino

Edited by Sano
  • Like 5

Very nice finish.

At this stage there is not a CRL in progress, someone needs to build the costume before one can be started. There is also not very much reference for the "movie/realistic" style Pyre, most references are from the animated version so what ever reference you can get the better, the LMO's won't approve a new CRL without enough reference material.

Galaxy's Edge has the "movie/realistic" figure

Hasbro-Star-Wars-The-Black-Series-6-inch

Some more figure references here https://jedibusiness.com/figureDetails.aspx?id=20416

Here you can see the differences between the two styles

Realistic                                                 

Review_FirstOrderTheTBS6P3045.jpg

Animated

star-wars-resistance-commander-pyre-001.

Good luck and looking forward to the progress

Dino is building the costume and writing the CRL lol, behind the scenes we have been discussing with the LMO's.

Great to see the progress Dino, and very cool to have the voice of Pyre himself checking in on you :duim:

Aye! :D

Like Im in no rush, I need to loose 10kg of body mass anyhow for fitting nicely again in the Anovos suit so it will definetly by a long term project. Theres a rumor that there will be a Commander Pyre black series soon ( a newer one ), so fingers crossed, that they use the regular TFA molds with black markings. 

I personally would hate redoing the helmet. Not because its pricy, but I just think without the black bands and the brow it looks .. unfinished? 

But well.. if thats the ref.. :D

For now I'll leave it like that. Having a golden TK helmet here on display is damn cool :D

Helmet came out beautifully (would hate to see it changed, but hey, if you wanna do the CRL.......) and I'm STOKED to see someone working on this! Many of the younger generation will be really excited because they know the character and anyone should be blown away by that much gold chrome! haha How cool to have the support of the voice actor as well! Keep up the planning and good work!

• 3 weeks later...

Moving this thread over to the new Commander Pyre section https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/230-commander-pyre-build-threads/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So apparently this came up in the wild .. 

Still.. helmet has no brow but on the packaging the brow looks black. Looks like they just used the old mold or so ?

Side details are also black on the artwork

Dont worry, this build is just veeery long going. I trimmed all arm parts now and need to build. I'm just drowning in paint commissions and I dont find motivation :D

121414952_736543570231894_5408202345828376333_n.jpg

It's interesting the differences seen between the figures, we see Cardinal Red with the black brow trim but wrong era helmet, Pyre Gold with no black brow trim but right era helmet and of course Phasma Chrome no black trim. I think this would be an issue you could argue with the LMO's as the packaging shows a black brow trim.

Not sure if one person looks after them or the whole team, you can contact them via email lmo@501st.com Andrew @Sly11 may also have some thoughts on the matter being in charge of our CRL's

2 hours ago, Sano said:

Who's the LMO responsible for the TKs ? I only know Nathan

The LMO's work as a team but they do split detachments up for better coverage.

The email Glen mentioned above goes to all of them if you wish to reach out to, just keep me in the loop so we are all on the same page.

I'm also always available through PM email etc if you have anything you want to bounce off me before going to the LMO's :)

• 2 weeks later...

HAvent the LMOs asked yet regarding the helmet.

Need your imput tho. Im working on shoulders, bicep, forearm and handguards. Do you see anything not "regularly FO TK" style? 

Before I finish the parts and getting all to the paintshop I ask for opinions first :D

I'm planning to post the next major update once parts are painted / chromed. 

Colorwise, what do you think is the bicep etc? To me it doesnt look just black, more like a blueish grey.

I don't have access to a figure (yet) but looking generally at the box the cod appears to be TFA styled with the inward curved sides, this would mean the forearms should have the same TFA style to them as below with the curve, no cut out

TFA on left, TLJ on right.

imageproxy.jpg.f662b6dca3579b4e5ab8ea7a7e765739.jpg

TFA curved by the looks, no black paint on the forearm front pill box inner square

large.imageproxy.jpg.88e125d43f0fd918b61

Okay, that helps :D So I can work with the Imperial Surplus kit. Today I finished the shoulder bells and bicep. 

Will start working on the forearms this week. 

No black details on the forearm triggers so much in me. 

Im pretty sure they reused the Pyre molds for the stand alone figure from the Galaxys Edge 3er pack. 

Well, I wont add the black details without talking to the LMOs first but I feel for a true realistic version, they should be applied, otherwise it looks naked. But well. 

before it arrives back home chrome golded, it will take some more weeks, but definetly this year. :)

Just remember we want to create a CRL with this build so the LMO team might well want some Input. Action figures are only part of the story for reference the other part is the animated character to draw reference from. The animated character also did not have a black trim for the brow so because 2 references don’t have it, chances are this might be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Havent posted here for a while, but the project is still going. 

Finished parts for gloss painting are:

Shoulders, Bicep, Forearm, Cod, Butt, Abdomen, Knees

Currently Im working on the thighs and lower legs.

The thighs are basically done, just need to screw on the metal holster from Dan.

For the lower leg armor, I will 3d scan the 2 bars, to be able to mirror them. I will print both versions in high quality ABS to have sharper edges.

I did some accuracy mods on the biceps and thighs already. The chest is almost done, just need some fine sanding here and there.

The back armor and detonator still needs assembly. Im pretty much done then.

Also, I already got the F11D heavy variant as a SLA print. Currently waiting for the Blast Fx kit, to pre install it before painting and vacuum chroming. 

Pics will follow soon :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, happy new year! 

Little progress over here

Thighs are done with Dans holster.

I 3d scanned the leg bars and 3d printed them in 0.1mm ABS with my Raise3D Printer.

Although I noticed something: On the galaxys edge figure it appears, that the 2 bars on the right leg are on the inside? While the new Target version has only the left bars, right is regular TFA style. 

Resistance has the bars on each outer side so I will go that route. It's a little confusing and leaves a lot room for interpretation but since the bars are "outstanding" for Pyre, I decided to go the route with bars on the outside on each leg. 

Currently Im glueing them on. 

After that, I only need to do the spats, detonator and back armor :) 

Photos will follow shortly. I figured, the next video will be the entire armor build but that will probably take some weeks , but pictures before will make this thread a little more interesting to follow as well :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Dino, looking forward to those photos.

I think you went the right route with the shin bars.

As promised, here's a hell ton of pictures :)

First of all: My mood during sanding, filling and more sanding:

uYom8pr.png

Flashbacks when I did the Captain Phasma Armor

Anyways..

Arms:

The shoulders were kinda simple. Just trimming the excess ABS and glueing the tabs on.

XcI0zks.jpg

qXUKGmx.jpg

Ei4nt6L.jpg

Bicep armor:

Here my perfectionism hit me with a bat. I didnt like the soft details that happen due to the bac forming process, so I filled it and carefully filed the new details in. I used 2 part epoxy glue to glue and fill.

24fxgK3.jpg

0bJJPk1.jpg

8cQVaF1.jpg

VhFDLzA.jpg

EhA0E17.jpg

tqGP6H7.jpg

hdZp4H0.jpg

7AxwXY6.jpg

Forearms:

For the formarms I didnt use the ABS box, instead I used my resin box which has sharper edges. I made that box years ago for the First Order Gunner costume and for Phasma, I mirrored the master and made a mold of it. So why not make use of that for my personal costume as well :)

uqMmKkF.jpg

AW8SpXf.jpg

wAG6rcF.jpg

LFhkqko.jpg

Tg2UYEe.jpg

jDfFdyk.jpg

bmhu35K.jpg

Handguards:

CFO Handplates from Dan, filled and sanded

YakVZYm.jpg

Chest:

ivFLO66.jpg

yU39NTU.jpg

KY3653e.jpg

gZbazVO.jpg?1

Zfw0WJr.jpg?1

0HBt1uR.jpg?1

Back:

Still WIP, nothing to show yet

Detonator:

Nothing to show yet

Ab Armor

Boxes are secured with screws

Pdf1zLK.jpg

UyJ2rsr.jpg

4zicNdm.jpg

Cod and Butt plate:

Just one picture as these parts are not really interesting

QMR8DRM.jpg

Thighs:

Here I also filled the soft pulled detail and refiled the detail

0WE1iHF.jpg

PfEBoy1.jpg

plGgeL1.jpg

Shins:

These were kinda tricky. I asked a good friend to help out. Unfortunately both halves werent fixed enough so while the glue hardened, it slightly changed position. To fix this, I filled the seam with 2 part epoxy and refiled the seam.

Zlp1bnw.jpg

As I already stated, I got the 2 shin bars 3D scanned. Then I mirrored the parts and printed the left and right version out.

XnQLVCw.jpg

kl0bUXD.jpg

CFO Clip Greeblie

TdeggLr.jpg

BtMLlxr.jpg

If possible, I will update this post later with more pictures :-)

Edited by Sano
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Small Update here

Not many know that I had a depression 3 - 4 years ago, which ultimately resulted in gaining approx. 40kg from 90 - 130.
Everyone who worked on the Anovos FOTK armor knows, that they are made for thinner people. Thats why I sold my FOTK back in 2016 or so.
But: Talking to professionals and changing some mindsets really helped and you cannot imagine the happiness I felt, when I tried the armor on again. Yes, I built that armor on purpose by not fitting it to my proportions. Because I knew I once fitted in there. So.. yea 

Y6Ch7r4.jpg

IHiseKs.jpg

Whats next:
I'm still waiting for the detonator. The black FO TK boots as well as gloves are ordered from Imperial Boots. Once I get them, I get the boots 3d scanned to get the boot plates modeled so that they fit perfectly. Then painting the armor gloss black and then gold chroming 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Like 4