First Order Stormtrooper Build - my first build (TFA FOTK)

CDEV-991

My first build: TFA FOTK.
So I'm doing this thing. Kit arrived March 2020. Then, as everyone is painfully aware, things happened. Also, looming fear of messing something up, but I'm just going to DO THE THING.

I apologize in advance that I may not be posting regularly. I have a short stay-cation in August before I'm working full time and simultaneously helping my 3rd grader get through online schooling (NBD, right?).

I am leaning heavily on the supply list from this post:

I will update this post with additional supplies and links as I go.

Supply list (updated as I go)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting with the helmet. I will make it a goal to do some video, but cutting and sanding ABS is not kind to cameras or cell phones.

Ok, a little afraid again but DOING THE THING!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021
  • Like 1

Helmet progress

Here it is just unpacked. Anticipating a lot of work on seams and pretty sure I want to remove those greeblies and add new ones (I don't see a realistic way to fix them). Also the tube stripe slots did not make it out of the casting with a lot of definition. I am brainstorming on how to cut those out properly.

1143856298_helmet1.thumb.JPG.4389f1cda4dbd56316300b33f91b61ed.JPG

Question:
Does anyone drill holes in the "mesh" for ventiliation?

I mean maybe here, under the nose cover?
image.jpeg.e305625c79f14593aba39067e6a4a11f.jpeg

Made progress with the inside.
1825989833_helmet2.thumb.JPG.e4f8d734ad096a96c72896cd11e7b9a5.JPG

Used the Dremel plastic cutting wheel. This thing is amazing. Even though it's a pretty thick layer of ABS, I was able to cut and carve after some practice pretty easily.
1862119762_plasticcutterwheel.thumb.JPG.135cdba32d4d0351ad844326eb3ec62a.JPG

296974713_cutprogress2.thumb.JPG.5c4a8093ec3bb4201115f3c51f955d0c.JPG

Forum noob question: Am I only allowed to post a certain MB limit amount each day? Or am I limited by some kind of seniority?

Edited by CDEV-991

You will need to host your pictures, I use imgur. There is a thread on FISD on how to use it. 

Here it is:

Edited by LTM

Definitely use an online image host, I also use Imgur.

Personally I wouldn't worry about air holes, the FOTK helmets have a large neck opening so you get plenty of air, you can also add a fan or two to help blow across your face and screen to keep it clear

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CDEV-991 said:

Forum noob question: Am I only allowed to post a certain MB limit amount each day? Or am I limited by some kind of seniority?

Looking great so far, Christin!  The images you are posting are perfect, showing lots of details, and there is no limit as to how many you can post per day.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:30 AM, justjoseph63 said:

Looking great so far, Christin!  The images you are posting are perfect, showing lots of details, and there is no limit as to how many you can post per day.

It looks like I only have .12 MB left to post? I'm trying my best to downgrade the resolution, but I'm kinda out of ideas here unless I host elsewhere. I should probably host pictures elsewhere?

image.png.cf0ebc3e868528aaba5193bba3b0d86f.png

Just now, CDEV-991 said:

It looks like I only have .12 MB left to post? I'm trying my best to downgrade the resolution, but I'm kinda out of ideas here unless I host elsewhere. I should probably host pictures elsewhere?

image.png.cf0ebc3e868528aaba5193bba3b0d86f.png

Look above in this thread, there is a post on how to use imgur (free and easy)

45 minutes ago, CDEV-991 said:

Hi Christin,  

Most of us use Imgur to host our photos and post them to FISD. It's so easy to use.

1- Open an account

2 -upload your photos

3- Select the photo you want to add to the post (a new window opens)

4- Select "Direct Link" from the right column

5 -Just click paste into your post window .

You can see the complete guide HERE 

Cheers  :salute:

Dont be afraid!  I was hesitant about my first cuts too, big ol expensive kit with a lot of parts is intimidating I know.  Just take it slow and steady, theres no rush.  Theres lots of experienced troopers here to help you out and lots of resources here to check your work on :D  I'm new too and I'm starting the beginnings of my FOTK as well.  If you're not sure about cutting something, do research or ask.  I just remember this rule: It's easy to fix something if you dont trim enough, its a lot harder to fix once you trim too much.  So take your time, you got this!

• Like 1