Newbie from Northern California

Cali_Nole

Sorry to hear of your loss Paul. there is no rush, and we aren't going anywhere so get back to it when the time feels right for you sir.

• Like 1

I sincerely appreciate all the kind, supportive words, troopers.  Been a rough time, for sure.  

But on a positive note, I do think it's time to push forward again with the build this week.  I guess now I have someone to dedicate my build to...onward and upward!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, Cali_Nole said:

Hello FISD,

My name is Paul and I live in Lincoln, CA.  I've loved SW since being a wide eyed 4 year old in '77.  My goal is to join the ranks of the 501st, I'm guessing the Central California Garrison, as an ANH TK Stunt and I will aim for Centurion level out of the gate.  I've been looking for a volunteer opportunity and what better and fun way than with the 501st.  Completely new to costume/armor building, so I know I'll be seeking A TON of guidance from FISD.  I'm already obsessed with researching these forums and I'm already amazed at the wealth of information here, as well as the "troopers helping troopers" mentality. :salute:

I've already spent a good deal of time in the New Recruits section, and I've read through all 50+ pages of the "where to buy armor" thread and I'm utilizing justjoseph's supplies list as I gather tools in preparation for my future build.  I've also purchased 421 boots from IB, since they just had their August wave (ETA of 8/13!!).  I still need to read through more build threads, I've only skimmed through a couple so far.  Oh, and I will definitely start my own build thread once I pull the trigger on my armor kit.

I do have an initial question regarding armor kits.  I feel I'm in a little bit of a quandary with which kit to buy and here's why.  I'm "a little short for a stormtrooper" at about 5'7", 180 lbs.  From everything I've read, ANH derived kits (ATA, AP, RS, etc.) can work for my height and weight.  But here's my dilemma.  I'm a gymrat and do a lot of weightlifting and my build is top heavy.  Basically, I have a 33 inch waist, 30 inch inseam but really wide shoulders, chest and back.  My coat size is a 42-44.  I have never even seen TK armor in person, but I feel like ANH derived armor would work for my lower body, but I'd need upper body armor from one of the "larger trooper" vendors (RT, AM, etc.).  Part of me leans toward ANH derived, but I'm nervous about the chest and back plates being too narrow and having too much gap between them and the shoulder bells (since I want to build towards Centurion).  Then part of me says go with the "larger trooper" kits and just cut down length, but I get nervous about having to trim too much length and losing the correct shape of the armor pieces.  Ahhhh, I'm stuck in analysis paralysis! :6: I'm guessing my best course of action is to email vendors with these questions, but figured someone here might have some ideas.  LOL...I found the dude below and while he's REEEALLY exaggerated, he kinda, sorta fits my body profile, haha:

3SsxXd2.png?1

Sorry this intro is a little long winded.  I really, really appreciate any and all feedback anyone can provide.  I can't wait to dive deeper into my Imperial journey!  Help me FISD, you're my only hope!  (I know that's a quote from rebel scum, but the sentiment fits!:P)

I'm in sacramento bro you ever want to link up exchange notes or what not it's all good.im working on a build also.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Paul!  I’m a newbie as well and have been doing the research thing as well.  Can’t read fast enough!  I’ e just completed a bucket build and am working on my waistline for the rest of the build.  We all don’t have perfect bodies to become the shiny white space soldier we all know and love, but one thing’s for sure.    Everyone here is SO SUPPORTIVE and helpful to help you reach your goals.  Keep posting!  They won’t let you fail.    

Hang in there, take care of yourself and family and work a little bit here and there on your armor.  You’ll get there!!  I’m looking forward to joining the 501st with you someday soon!

• Like 1