Newbie from Northern California

Cali_Nole

Hello FISD,

My name is Paul and I live in Lincoln, CA.  I've loved SW since being a wide eyed 4 year old in '77.  My goal is to join the ranks of the 501st, I'm guessing the Central California Garrison, as an ANH TK Stunt and I will aim for Centurion level out of the gate.  I've been looking for a volunteer opportunity and what better and fun way than with the 501st.  Completely new to costume/armor building, so I know I'll be seeking A TON of guidance from FISD.  I'm already obsessed with researching these forums and I'm already amazed at the wealth of information here, as well as the "troopers helping troopers" mentality. :salute:

I've already spent a good deal of time in the New Recruits section, and I've read through all 50+ pages of the "where to buy armor" thread and I'm utilizing justjoseph's supplies list as I gather tools in preparation for my future build.  I've also purchased 421 boots from IB, since they just had their August wave (ETA of 8/13!!).  I still need to read through more build threads, I've only skimmed through a couple so far.  Oh, and I will definitely start my own build thread once I pull the trigger on my armor kit.

I do have an initial question regarding armor kits.  I feel I'm in a little bit of a quandary with which kit to buy and here's why.  I'm "a little short for a stormtrooper" at about 5'7", 180 lbs.  From everything I've read, ANH derived kits (ATA, AP, RS, etc.) can work for my height and weight.  But here's my dilemma.  I'm a gymrat and do a lot of weightlifting and my build is top heavy.  Basically, I have a 33 inch waist, 30 inch inseam but really wide shoulders, chest and back.  My coat size is a 42-44.  I have never even seen TK armor in person, but I feel like ANH derived armor would work for my lower body, but I'd need upper body armor from one of the "larger trooper" vendors (RT, AM, etc.).  Part of me leans toward ANH derived, but I'm nervous about the chest and back plates being too narrow and having too much gap between them and the shoulder bells (since I want to build towards Centurion).  Then part of me says go with the "larger trooper" kits and just cut down length, but I get nervous about having to trim too much length and losing the correct shape of the armor pieces.  Ahhhh, I'm stuck in analysis paralysis! :6: I'm guessing my best course of action is to email vendors with these questions, but figured someone here might have some ideas.  LOL...I found the dude below and while he's REEEALLY exaggerated, he kinda, sorta fits my body profile, haha:

3SsxXd2.png?1

Sorry this intro is a little long winded.  I really, really appreciate any and all feedback anyone can provide.  I can't wait to dive deeper into my Imperial journey!  Help me FISD, you're my only hope!  (I know that's a quote from rebel scum, but the sentiment fits!:P)

• Like 1

Welcome Paul!I have (had, thanks Covid) a similar build to you. I think you should be OK whichever vendor you decide to go with.

I’m “over the hill” in Reno, feel free to reach out!

Edited by Harbinger

2 hours ago, Harbinger said:

Welcome Paul!I have (had, thanks Covid) a similar build to you. I think you should be OK whichever vendor you decide to go with.

I’m “over the hill” in Reno, feel free to reach out!

Thanks Brien!  Yeah, working out in my 110 degree garage isn't quite the same as an air conditioned gym.  I was hoping to check out some local garrison events, but I'm guessing  there won't be any happening anytime soon.  Thanks for the feedback and offer, I'm sure I'll be reaching out with more questions soon!

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Thank you Glen!  I'll be sure to check out the build threads you provided...reading material for tonight! :)

1 hour ago, Sly11 said:

Hi Paul and welcome to FISD.

Thank you for the welcome Andrew, much appreciated!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GoofTrooper said:

Hello Paul, welcome to the FISD. I'm impressed by the amount of research you have already done! I will definitely be following your build with interest once you get your kit!  

Thanks Eric!  I spent a ton of time in the Getting Started section and it's been tremendously helpful.  Just reading the "types of armor and where to find them" and the "FISD acronyms and TK Glossary" alone proved to be invaluable.  There's soooo much information in these forums, the name of the game is research, research, research for sure!  Hoping to reach out to vendors this week and pull the trigger soon!

• Like 3

Since I won't start a build thread until I order my kit, I'll post this here.  Normally, when people say "Happy Monday", I'm grumbling under my breath.  But IB and DHL made me extremely giddy today! :D  End of July, I saw that IB had a wave starting 8/1, so I ordered my 421s on....8/1!  Got my tracking number on 8/7, and look at what was on my porch when I got home from work today!!  First non-supply item to arrive, it's a start.  I'm so excited, and you guessed it, I just can't hide it!!  AWESOME!!!!!:peace:

z0LUEYu.jpg?1  

SBRpFS7.jpg?1

• Like 2

Welcome Paul! I enjoy meeting more people in my age range range ( I’m 44 ) that haven’t lost the love for Star Wars that we had as bright eyed kids. Your extensive research on these boards will pay dividends when you start your build. I’m in Panama City, FL and just started my build along with my son, who is a Sophomore at FSU this fall. GO NOLES!!! 

Hello there, Paul! I too remember being super excited on my IB arrival day, and that shipment and delivery occurred far more quickly than I anticipated. You're spot on with your research mentality, and that will pay dividends with your build. In case you're interested, here's a thread which contains the culmination of my research for my own build. You may have already found all the same tutorial resources, but perhaps the build, pre-approval, EI, and Centurion request thread links would be helpful to you.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Looking forward to following along with you on your journey!

14 hours ago, Firedog said:

Welcome Paul! I enjoy meeting more people in my age range range ( I’m 44 ) that haven’t lost the love for Star Wars that we had as bright eyed kids. Your extensive research on these boards will pay dividends when you start your build. I’m in Panama City, FL and just started my build along with my son, who is a Sophomore at FSU this fall. GO NOLES!!! 

Thanks Shawn!  The feeling is mutual and the fact you're a fellow Nole...even better!  I lived in Clermont, FL for about 5 years ('02-'07) and my daughter graduated from FSU in 2017 and still lives in Tally currently.  Yes, the research needed to purchase and build a TK kit correctly is no joke.  GO NOLES!!

14 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

Hello there, Paul! I too remember being super excited on my IB arrival day, and that shipment and delivery occurred far more quickly than I anticipated. You're spot on with your research mentality, and that will pay dividends with your build. In case you're interested, here's a thread which contains the culmination of my research for my own build. You may have already found all the same tutorial resources, but perhaps the build, pre-approval, EI, and Centurion request thread links would be helpful to you.

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/49412-all-in-one-tk-anh-stunt-index-of-resources-by-maskedvengeance/

Looking forward to following along with you on your journey!

Hi Caleb.  I've actually already read through your build thread (stay strong, trooper!) and am already well acquainted with the resource guide you put together.  The amount of detail, passion, organization, etc. is top notch in my eyes and has already been very helpful to a newbie like myself.  I tip my bucket to you, sir!

12 hours ago, TKSpartan said:

Welcome to FISD Paul, cool boots !!  :peace:

Thank you, Mario!  My new dancing shoes!  :dancing-trooper:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TK-42134 said:

Welcome Paul. You will not be disappointed in those boots. Good luck on  your build.

Loved the fresh leather smell upon opening the package!  They're slightly big, but nothing an insole won't take care of.  Thanks Mark!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Troopers.  I decided a couple weeks ago on a kit from ATA and BBB day should be in the next week or two (fingers crossed).  So, I have started a build thread....GAAAHHHH!!  Excitement, terror, joy, anticipation, dread, more excitement...mixed emotions which from what I've gathered is very common starting a first build...let's do this!!  :Stormtrooper_walk_south::D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, Cali_Nole said:

Hello FISD,

My name is Paul and I live in Lincoln, CA.  I've loved SW since being a wide eyed 4 year old in '77.  My goal is to join the ranks of the 501st, I'm guessing the Central California Garrison, as an ANH TK Stunt and I will aim for Centurion level out of the gate.  I've been looking for a volunteer opportunity and what better and fun way than with the 501st.  Completely new to costume/armor building, so I know I'll be seeking A TON of guidance from FISD.  I'm already obsessed with researching these forums and I'm already amazed at the wealth of information here, as well as the "troopers helping troopers" mentality. :salute:

I've already spent a good deal of time in the New Recruits section, and I've read through all 50+ pages of the "where to buy armor" thread and I'm utilizing justjoseph's supplies list as I gather tools in preparation for my future build.  I've also purchased 421 boots from IB, since they just had their August wave (ETA of 8/13!!).  I still need to read through more build threads, I've only skimmed through a couple so far.  Oh, and I will definitely start my own build thread once I pull the trigger on my armor kit.

I do have an initial question regarding armor kits.  I feel I'm in a little bit of a quandary with which kit to buy and here's why.  I'm "a little short for a stormtrooper" at about 5'7", 180 lbs.  From everything I've read, ANH derived kits (ATA, AP, RS, etc.) can work for my height and weight.  But here's my dilemma.  I'm a gymrat and do a lot of weightlifting and my build is top heavy.  Basically, I have a 33 inch waist, 30 inch inseam but really wide shoulders, chest and back.  My coat size is a 42-44.  I have never even seen TK armor in person, but I feel like ANH derived armor would work for my lower body, but I'd need upper body armor from one of the "larger trooper" vendors (RT, AM, etc.).  Part of me leans toward ANH derived, but I'm nervous about the chest and back plates being too narrow and having too much gap between them and the shoulder bells (since I want to build towards Centurion).  Then part of me says go with the "larger trooper" kits and just cut down length, but I get nervous about having to trim too much length and losing the correct shape of the armor pieces.  Ahhhh, I'm stuck in analysis paralysis! :6: I'm guessing my best course of action is to email vendors with these questions, but figured someone here might have some ideas.  LOL...I found the dude below and while he's REEEALLY exaggerated, he kinda, sorta fits my body profile, haha:

3SsxXd2.png?1

Sorry this intro is a little long winded.  I really, really appreciate any and all feedback anyone can provide.  I can't wait to dive deeper into my Imperial journey!  Help me FISD, you're my only hope!  (I know that's a quote from rebel scum, but the sentiment fits!:P)

Did you ever finish your build?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, Cali_Nole said:

Since I won't start a build thread until I order my kit, I'll post this here.  Normally, when people say "Happy Monday", I'm grumbling under my breath.  But IB and DHL made me extremely giddy today! :D  End of July, I saw that IB had a wave starting 8/1, so I ordered my 421s on....8/1!  Got my tracking number on 8/7, and look at what was on my porch when I got home from work today!!  First non-supply item to arrive, it's a start.  I'm so excited, and you guessed it, I just can't hide it!!  AWESOME!!!!!:peace:

z0LUEYu.jpg?1  

SBRpFS7.jpg?1

Is that a patch that was purchased, or did it come with your boots?

On 11/1/2020 at 1:23 AM, Dolladolla916 said:

Did you ever finish your build?

Negative...actually not even close, lol.  I'm in no hurry to finish, just chipping away when I can.  I do have a build thread in case you're interested, although I haven't made much progress over the last month.  Been dealing with a personal loss.  But I'm aiming to post some updates soon.

29 minutes ago, Cesarisamisfit said:

Is that a patch that was purchased, or did it come with your boots?

The IB patch was free swag that came with my boots.

I’m sorry to hear about your personal loss. This has been a very difficult year, and my family has not been excluded from the trials as well. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours. Things will turn around for the better!

Sent via Imperial Tapatalk Comms

• Like 1